Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much does it cost, on average, to smoke e-cigarettes?

Default How much does it cost, on average, to smoke e-cigarettes?

While I'm waiting for my starter kit to arrive, I realized I haven't seen much info on how much money it costs to smoke e-cigaretes, on average.
    I saw one post where the writer mentioned that the e-liquid alone averages $3 (per pack, approx. half what a pack of analogs cost).

I'm curious what others might be averaging.

2. Advertisement
    NCC
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Depends. You can spend a lot more than you would spend on cigarettes if you make vaping a hobby.

Or, if saving money is more your objective ... I've seen some people claim as little as $20-30 a month (after acquiring the essential hardware).

I have averaged a lot more than $30 a month. Sounds like it is really what you want to spend, how much it becomes a hobby & obsession.
    4.5 years smoke free!

4. Advertisement
    Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

For myself I spent about $200 to start up with all my 501 related equipment (including yesterday's purchases). This got me 4 attys, 8 batteries, 25 carts, PCC, 2 wall chargers, 6x3ml juice and a 15ml juice...oh and some extra empty bottles for personal mixing. I've since picked up a bunch more liquid...2x30ml, 2x10ml, 6 more 3ml samples and 2 more orders en route this week that I can't remember even what it is. All in all probably about $300. But this is really just to start up and sample all the different flavors until I find my 'go to' juices.

In the end once I'm set up with the core stuff I need, I've budgeted overall for about $30-40 per month for juice and attys. I was spending about $180/month on analogs at 1 PAD. But even if you spend nearly the same, look at the other savings you will have in your health, odor and reputation.
    Rock'n the fruit & coffee flavors on my VVTube & Silver bullet. Check out our Utah group: Utah Vapers

I like your numbers...if I spend approx. $150 per month on regular cigs now (30 days * $5 per pack), I'd be tickled if smoking e-cigs cost me half that ($75/month)

Blog Entries

If you're only considering the cost of juice (no expensive pre-filled need apply) I average about
    3 mL use a day at about $0.50 per mL so about $45 a month (vs $335 for cigs).

Starting out the cost of your initial equipment will run high, at least until you find what type
    batteries, atty, carto, voltage is the right vape for you. And there is no perfect single answer
    for every vaper, some like hotter vapor, some demand ease of use, some great vapor, others
    great flavor. When you find the combination of equipment that you like, the cost drops from
    lack of new experiments.
    I'm puffin' on a pipe bomb and carrying a detonator in my pocket,
    so just what was it you wanted to hassle me about ??

NCC
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    When you find the combination of equipment that you like, the cost drops from
    lack of new experiments.
    I feel it should be added that most vaper's taste in that equipment changes over time. i.e., from a cigarette replica, to a big batt like eGo, to perhaps a mod. But, that's the experimentation ... almost nobody finds their ideal PV from the get-go.
    Also to be considered, beyond juice, is that neither batteries nor atomizers last forever and must periodically be replaced. They're part of the cost of vaping, even given a great PV.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Well, it depends.

I think if you have your hardware, you'll probably then just need from 1ml to 3ml of juice a day. If you are dripping you won't have the extra costs of cartomizers and then your cost is around $1 to $3 per day. If you are using a KR808D or similar and use cartomizers (pack of 5 for $7.50-10 - refilling for at least 2 days) will add .75 to $1 to that amount. I think it will still be cheaper than a pack of cigarettes per day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCC View Post
    ..... But, that's the experimentation ... almost nobody finds their ideal PV from the get-go.
    Also to be considered, beyond juice, is that neither batteries nor atomizers last forever and must periodically be replaced. They're part of the cost of vaping, even given a great PV.
    LOL absolutely, but after about 6 months of chasing MY perfect vape, I probally have enough atty, carto, and batteries to last me another 6 months to maybe a year...
    I'm puffin' on a pipe bomb and carrying a detonator in my pocket,
    so just what was it you wanted to hassle me about ??

Tol
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It depends on your vaping habits and how many ML per day you vape. So far I have been vaping 3-4 Ml per day. A 30 ML bottles costs an average of $15. So a rough estimate is around $800 per year in juice compared to $3500 per year I was spending to smoke. It's about $2-3 per pack as opposed to $9.50 per pack, yes NYS taxes suck.

Not sure what other equipment will average out to yet, but I am guessing it's nowhere close the the $2700 difference.
    So even with vaping, I gave myself a very nice raise this year.
    Last edited by Tol; 01-22-2011 at 03:25 PM.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quite a few people have done an analysis on this.. and generally speaking we tend to come to the same conclusions.

Not counting "experiments" and the hobby aspect of it... if you just look at the cost of liquid, replacement atomizers/cartomizers, and amortized cost of batteries.... it usually comes out to about 1/3 the cost of smoking traditional cigarettes.

YMMV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast