Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain in throat and coughing

Unhappy Pain in throat and coughing

I just started using my new e-cig and it gives me a really sore throat and makes me cough for a long time. Is this normal? What should I do?

Could be a reaction to your juice. Is it PG, VG or what mixture of both?

Could also be too much nic. What is your nic strength in the juice?

depends on a lot of things. how long have you been a smoker? could just be your lungs clearing out
    does it have a burnt taste? commonly a very harsh experience solved by keeping your atty wet

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You might be allergic to the juice you are using. You should probably discontinue whatever it is you are using. What kind of juice are you using? PG? VG? Or both?
    How long? Not long, because what you reap is what you sow.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

is the vape your getting very rough tasting or does it have a pleasurable taste and not to hot. Sounds like you may be using a cart and the juice isn't getting to your Atty properly if this is the experience your having coughing and a sore throat possibly. You don't say what your set up is, e-cig, Mod, ? what, give us some more info and we can help you out much better but NO, you shouldn't be coughing and getting a sore throat at all. re-post with some of the info on your hardware and set up and even your juice your using
    I have no favorites I love them all, but the sexy chicks who sport wild thongs drive me up the wall ;-)
    Support the cause give to CASSA

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

There are several factors that could be causing your sore throat and cough.

1) It could be the nicotine strength you're using. A lot of times a higher nic level can create more throat hit, which can be harsh at times. Plus if you chain vape, the accumulation of all that nicotine hitting your throat can cause a cough.

2) Your juice might have a higher concentration of PG in it and PG creates more TH also. There are a few people that have certain [allergic] reactions to PG, so you might wanna try diluting it with VG, or getting 100% VG juice.

3) The juice flavor you're using can produce the TH and cough as well. Some tobacco flavors tend to be harsher on the throat.

4) The method in which you draw on the e-cig could affect you. If you're taking it straight to the lungs [like weed], that will definitely hit your throat and lungs in a way that would produce harshness to the throat and cause coughing. For that, hit it like you would an analog. Hold the vapor into your mouth, then inhale.

5) Your hydration may need to be increased. Vaping dehydrates you, so increase your water intake to make sure your throat isn't constantly dry, which will also induce coughing.

Those are my opinions. Maybe others can provide more detailed suggestions for you.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

The above posters have pretty much covered what was on my mind. For the sore throat try honey in a warm/hot drink like milk or tea. Remember to keep plenty hydrated. My significant also had a sore throat when he first tried vaping, coughing not so much. There might be more going on, we would just need to know how you've been going about it.

I had a similar experience. Bear in mind that I've only been vaping since Monday ... but I found that the 2.4 cartridges seemed to make me cough ... and my throat felt a bit raw.

Part of it was the way I was vaping. I think there's a bit of a "learning curve" on how to effectively vape as opposed to smoking a cigarette. However, I also decided that the nicotine level was probably too high for me. I have since acquired juice that is 1.6 strength and I don't have nearly the problems.

As for the coughing, I really do think that part of it is completely divorced from the actual vaping. I do think that it's partly the natural process one experiences after being off analogues for a day or so ... and part is the residual effects of a cold that just refuses to go away ... and related to stuffy sinuses.

Good luck!

Mary

Default More info

I'm using a mini from totally wicked, and using their e-juices at 11mg, so I don't think it could be the nicotine. I've been smoking for about 2 years (analogs).
    Also, I bought some of their Malboro flavouring and it's awful, are they known for making bad e-juices or have I done something wrong?

As you can see from everyone's responses, there can be many reasons. I had a problem when I started (which was only in Dec. 2010) because the vape was very harsh, burned my throat, and made be cough. I lowered the nic level, but that only made me crave cigarettes. The longer I vaped the easier it got. I'm guessing that I finally cleared enough tar from my lungs to become a better vaper. I also realized I don't like "throat hit." It feels like pepper burning my throat and mouth, and there are some e-juices I have tried that I swear I can taste the pepper (goes without saying that I don't like black or white pepper). I found that Vapor Renu sells a "smooth" formula e-liquid (flavored or DIY) that has a reduced TH. Some of the flavors I mix with it (like tobacco or citrus) still give me throat a little sting, but nothing bad. I vape at 24 mg.

As for your second question, tobacco flavors are still my least favorite. I don't think I ever liked the taste of analogs, I just needed the nicotine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast