Coughing and Sore Throat while Vaping
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Coughing and Sore Throat while Vaping

Default Coughing and Sore Throat while Vaping

I'm using the Joye eGo and Kretek e-juice from TastyVapor, though I've also tried Clove and Fire & Ice from Pure Smoker. However, no matter what I try, vaping makes me cough like crazy and gives me a sore throat. Oddly enough, my analogs do not. (Djarum Black Menthols)

Any ideas why? Is it just a matter of getting used to something new? Too much PG or VG?

I just started vaping a week ago, so please forgive me if this all sounds silly. I'd really love to stop smoking cigarettes, but if this is the e-cigarette alternative, I just can't make this work. All suggestions welcome.

My theory would be you are possibly allergic to propylene glycol, unless you are just vaping an inhuman amount.

Super Member ECF Veteran toddos's Avatar

Also, the draw on an e-cig is a bit different from an analog. Try a long, slow draw rather than a faster puff.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Here's a couple of ideas:

• Vaping is done differently than smoking. With smoking you seal your lips around the filter and take a short hard drag, with vaping you lightly put your lips to the end and gently, slowly, take a looong soft drag (like 3-5 seconds) into your mouth and then inhale it into your lungs.

• You've chosen probably some of the strongest e-liquid out there to start with...

• vaping feels similar to smoking, but it's not smoke and your lungs aren't used to it. Just like if you leaned over a pot of boiling water and inhaled it would probably make you cough, but it's not more harsh than smoking it's just a new substance for your lungs to figure out.

It just takes some practice. Try the slow easy looong inhale and see if that helps. I highly doubt if it's due to the PG/VG thing though, IMO.

I started vaping about two weeks ago and noticed that I would get a sore throat, I did some research and started drinking water which helped. The last few days though have been unreal, nothing makes it better, and it's definitely from vaping... I was about to start a thread and I saw yours, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. I really want to find a way to make it go away, haven't had an analog since my ego got here!

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I started vaping about two weeks ago and noticed that I would get a sore throat, I did some research and started drinking water which helped. The last few days though have been unreal, nothing makes it better, and it's definitely from vaping... I was about to start a thread and I saw yours, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. I really want to find a way to make it go away, haven't had an analog since my ego got here!
    You can also try a couple of other things too (specifically for sore throat, not so much for the coughing):

• drink more water or milk (you knew that one already)
    • suck on a lozenge or hard candy
    • try some VG for a smoother taste/feel
    • often, it goes away on it's own if you can stick it out for a few weeks or so.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

If it's not the juice, coughing and a sore throat are a common symptom of quitting smoking. There are a few articles in the health section.

"Within a very short period of time after you stop smoking, your lungs will begin to clear themselves out. Smoking can cause the cilia in your lungs to burn and not function properly. Cilia are tiny hairs in your respiratory system that actively move or “pump” mucous out of it in order to clear it up. If these are not functioning properly, the mucous can build up. When you quit smoking, the function of the cilia returns to normal and at the same time your body actively clears the lungs of mucous at a faster rate. As this mucous goes out of your lungs and down your esophagus, it is carrying all sorts of bacteria and irritants that may result in a sore throat. Many smokers report this as a positive feeling as they are feeling their body rid itself of all the bad stuff from their lungs despite a slightly sore throat that may result."

I never had a sore throat but my mother did the first couple of weeks. Try a milder juice. If you like tobacco flavored juice, Virginia from Backwoods Brew is very smooth.

Moved On

Maybe some of the cart filling like the cotton looking stuff is burning on your atty. Try cleaning your atty out and just dripping and see if that is any better.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Two things make me cough like the blazes:

Dirty atty, do dry burns every couple of fills and clean with grain or isopropyl alcohol. See atty cleaning for more details.

Fruit e-juices, can't seem to find one that doesn't make me cough. Green apple, pineapple, and cranberry. Apple is good though. All favorites to eat, just can't vape them. Although Fire and Ice doesn't make me cough, oddly. Meh, everyone is different.

HTH

Vape on.

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I saw your post count at 1. If you are just starting out and have quit smoking, some of this is normal. You might want to try a VG based juice to see if it helps. PG might be an issue and you might be allergic, as some have said.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast