Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: E-cig Side Effects

Default E-cig Side Effects

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've been vaping for about a year now. I've read other threads on this forum of people complaining about side effects, and I too have experience side effects from vaping, so I thought I would offer my advice.

First, PG can F you up! I don't care what anyone says. I know some are immune to it but that's not the case for many. I have no allergies and have consumed plenty of food items with PG, but I cannot inhale that junk. PG makes my throat sore and dry, and makes my chest hurt worse than cigarettes. If you're having any problems with sore throat, sore lungs, or cotton mouth, switch to VG. In fact, I would suggest everyone vape VG exclusively simply because it is much, much safer. The mere fact that it is commonly used in herbal treatments and essential oils should be enough evidence.

Secondly, nicotine levels. In my experience, all of the e-cig vendors I've dealt with on a local level are shady individuals that I do not trust, especially when it comes to advice about nicotine or any other chemicals. No offense to any vendors out there; this has just been my personal experience. I had one vendor tell me that an ordinary cigarette has 40mg of nicotine in it. Complete BS.

Most cigarettes have less than 1mg of nicotine. So if you vape a ml of 36mg fluid over the coarse of a day, it's like you just smoked 36 cigs, except worse because you're getting a purer form of nicotine. Anyone who's ever vaporized ......... can attest that it is much more potent that way, and the same goes for vaporizing nicotine.

For those that don't know the ratios, if the label on a bottle of e-juice says 24mg, that means there's 24mg per ml. So, again, a 30ml bottle would contain a total of 240mg of nicotine, which is A LOT. If you are having any type of sharp chest pains similar to what you might experience from a heart attack or angina attack, I strongly suggest lowering the level of nicotine you are vaping. I would suggest less than 12mg is safe range, but you should go even lower than that unless you are just so horribly addicted to nicotine that you need more.

Nicotine is DANGEROUS. If you don't believe me, try to buy some pure nicotine. Good luck. You can't. It's a very potent stimulant and should be treated as such. You can think of it as caffeine. A very strong cup of coffee has about 100mg of caffeine in it, and we all know what that will do. Would you guzzle down 1,000mg of caffeine? No! Why? You'd have a heart attack. A very strong cig might have 1 - 3 mg of nicotine, so when you put 3 - 5 drops of 36mg fluid in your e-cig, you might as well pop 5 cigarettes in your mouth and light 'em up.

Anyways, I've experienced the symptoms above, and these are the measures I've taken to fix them. Sore/dry throat: switched to VG, all good. Sharp/tight chest pains like my hear was gonna burst: drastically reduced my nicotine level, all good.

Also, keep in mind that if you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker AND you are vaping, you are putting a lot of stimulants in your body. In some cases you might be better off vaping 0mg and having that one cigarette once in a while when you need it badly.

Hope this helps anyone else who has had these problems.

you didn't followed our standard mantra : DRINK MORE WATER.

also: you didn't listen to us when we said, "we are all different, there is not one mg of nicotine that's right for everyone.

And you didn't do your PG homework: PG is the base that's used for nebulizer treatments, asthma inhalers and theatre fog.

Seems no homework was done regarding nicotine either: It's a stimulant on par with caffeine - I don't know of anyone who's brave enough to buy high mg's for mixing without doing a little homework first, besides when you buy it that way they send it with that warning. And you can't get pure nicotine anywhere that I know of. And the 1mg in a cigarette is the least amount that's in any brand of cig. and that tobacco companies add chemicals that make you absorb almost all the nicotine that you are inhaling and also heighten it's effect, whereas WE know that e-cigs do not add those chemicals and therefor we only absorb a fraction of the nicotine that we vape.
    Last edited by Rosa; 02-11-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You're talking about ONE ingredient. Here's some of analogs ingredient list:

* Fungicides and pesticides -- Cause many types of cancers and birth defects.
    * Cadmium -- Linked to lung and prostate cancer.
    * Benzene -- Linked to leukemia.
    * Formaldehyde -- Linked to lung cancer.
    * Nickel -- Causes increased susceptibility to lung infections.

Ammonia: Household cleaner
    Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
    Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
    Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
    Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
    Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
    Cadmium: Used in batteries
    Cyanide: Deadly poison
    DDT: A banned insecticide
    Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
    Lead: Poisonous in high doses
    Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
    Methoprene: Insecticide
    Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
    Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
    Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
    Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
    Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

--- From what I've read, people who've smoked over 10 years (some upto 40 years) have reported almost immediate health benefits when switching to Ecigs. I, personally, can tell that my breathing got better.
    Last edited by alldayvape; 02-11-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added a comma

If you had come to ECF a year ago we would have advised you to drink more water immediately upon hearing of your symptoms and also to lower your nicotine intake.

That does not mean that everyone should lower their nicotine intake. I tried vaping 18 mg for a while and started daydreaming about smoking again. Went back up to 24mg and the daydreams stopped -- with no side effects at all.

Super Member ECF Veteran texasgranny's Avatar

Adam...I am allergic to strawberries....I would highly suggest that YOU never eat them again.
    I also have chest pains...for the last 10 years....please see your Dr about this symtom of mine
    and I do believe you need to get completely off nicotine and caffine, due to my chest pains.
    And I will listen to you and leave the tea alone and smoke that one cigarette every now and then
    with the 4000 other chemicals.......................................
    And could you please list all those horrible vendors...I want to make sure I never order from
    them as it sounds like you really know what you are talking about....(NOT)
    And I've been vaping and drinking a strong cup of coffee.....I now see I gotta quit that or that's
    what's gonna kill me....(according to you)
    and here I was thinking it was the 4000 chemicals in analogs that was killing me...silly me.

In other words...just because you had these problems does not mean others should anticipate
    these kind of symptons and problems or adhere to your suggestions for the cure, which I
    believe is somewhat off balance.

No disrespect meant, but some taken.
    Last edited by texasgranny; 02-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Alone we can do so little.....Together we can do so much

Plus, if I had the strength to just blithely smoke one cigarette when I really need it I never would have ended up here. Man it's like telling an alcoholic to just have a drink every once in a while -- sure, I'll do that...

Super Member ECF Veteran N2rock's Avatar

I have the sore/dry throat- I have some VG juice on order so I can see if that will fix the problem for me. My wife has absolutely no problems with PG juice.

As far as too much nicotine- everyone has their individual limits, and your body lets you know when you have hit that. When I first started I was using 18mg. Problem became that I enjoy the flavors so much that I was vaping a lot. And very soon my body told me I was getting too much nicotine. I enjoy vaping, so instead of vaping less I got lower nic in my juices (8-10mg).

Point is- everyone is different. And everyone has to approach vaping from their own POV and figure out what is right for them.

Senior Member ECF Veteran BigMikeInNY's Avatar

[QUOTE=adam1113;2648533]Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've been vaping for about a year now. I've read other threads on this forum of people complaining about side effects, and I too have experience side effects from vaping, so I thought I would offer my advice.

First, PG can F you up! I don't care what anyone says. I know some are immune to it but that's not the case for many. I have no allergies and have consumed plenty of food items with PG, but I cannot inhale that junk. PG makes my throat sore and dry, and makes my chest hurt worse than cigarettes. If you're having any problems with sore throat, sore lungs, or cotton mouth, switch to VG. In fact, I would suggest everyone vape VG exclusively simply because it is much, much safer. The mere fact that it is commonly used in herbal treatments and essential oils should be enough evidence.

Secondly, nicotine levels. In my experience, all of the e-cig vendors I've dealt with on a local level are shady individuals that I do not trust, especially when it comes to advice about nicotine or any other chemicals. No offense to any vendors out there; this has just been my personal experience. I had one vendor tell me that an ordinary cigarette has 40mg of nicotine in it. Complete BS.

Most cigarettes have less than 1mg of nicotine. So if you vape a ml of 36mg fluid over the coarse of a day, it's like you just smoked 36 cigs, except worse because you're getting a purer form of nicotine. Anyone who's ever vaporized ......... can attest that it is much more potent that way, and the same goes for vaporizing nicotine.

For those that don't know the ratios, if the label on a bottle of e-juice says 24mg, that means there's 24mg per ml. So, again, a 30ml bottle would contain a total of 240mg of nicotine, which is A LOT. If you are having any type of sharp chest pains similar to what you might experience from a heart attack or angina attack, I strongly suggest lowering the level of nicotine you are vaping. I would suggest less than 12mg is safe range, but you should go even lower than that unless you are just so horribly addicted to nicotine that you need more.

Nicotine is DANGEROUS. If you don't believe me, try to buy some pure nicotine. Good luck. You can't. It's a very potent stimulant and should be treated as such. You can think of it as caffeine. A very strong cup of coffee has about 100mg of caffeine in it, and we all know what that will do. Would you guzzle down 1,000mg of caffeine? No! Why? You'd have a heart attack. A very strong cig might have 1 - 3 mg of nicotine, so when you put 3 - 5 drops of 36mg fluid in your e-cig, you might as well pop 5 cigarettes in your mouth and light 'em up.

Anyways, I've experienced the symptoms above, and these are the measures I've taken to fix them. Sore/dry throat: switched to VG, all good. Sharp/tight chest pains like my hear was gonna burst: drastically reduced my nicotine level, all good.

Also, keep in mind that if you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker AND you are vaping, you are putting a lot of stimulants in your body. In some cases you might be better off vaping 0mg and having that one cigarette once in a while when you need it badly.

Hope this helps anyone else who has had these problems.[/QUOTE

your giving false information and you sound like a fool. have a nice day

Tol
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Different Strokes for Different folks. Some people are actually allergic to VG rather than PG. Also some people are allergic to certain flavorings. It is a trial and error as well as an exercise in caution. If something makes you feel bad or is causing health problem then by all means don't do it! We are all different and the ingredients in e-cigs react to our bodies differently.

We also all absorb nicotine differently. Some people may need 24 mg and be fine vaping more than 1 ML of it. Some people may need 6 mg and can't vape more than 1 ML of that per day. Again there is no real standard for it.

Yes nicotine is dangerous, especially in any sort of pure form, just absorbing high enough strength nicotine through your skin can kill you. You can do this by slapping a whole box of patches on yourself too. High enough does of quite a lot of things can kill you, ever look into nutmeg?
    Nutmeg’s flavor and fragrance come from oil of myristica, containing myristicin, a poisonous narcotic. Myristicin can cause hallucinations, vomiting, epileptic symptoms and large dosages can cause death.

I have never seen anyone claiming PG, VG, or Nicotine as being 100% safe, and no one should treat it as such. I will still take my chances with e-cigs over smoking any day.

Bottom line is, if you think what you are doing is endangering your health, then don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    you didn't followed our standard mantra : DRINK MORE WATER.

also: you didn't listen to us when we said, "we are all different, there is not one mg of nicotine that's right for everyone.

And you didn't do your PG homework: PG is the base that's used for nebulizer treatments, asthma inhalers and theatre fog.

Seems no homework was done regarding nicotine either: It's a stimulant on par with caffeine - I don't know of anyone who's brave enough to buy high mg's for mixing without doing a little homework first, besides when you buy it that way they send it with that warning. And you can't get pure nicotine anywhere that I know of. And the 1mg in a cigarette is the least amount that's in any brand of cig. and that tobacco companies add chemicals that make you absorb almost all the nicotine that you are inhaling and also heighten it's effect, whereas WE know that e-cigs do not add those chemicals and therefor we only absorb a fraction of the nicotine that we vape.
    I didn't PG was used in inhalers but I knew it was used in fog machines. But, I don't suck on fog machines. My point was it tears my throat up and switching to VG fixed that problem. I drink 70 ounces of water a day, that doesn't help one bit with any of the side effects. 1mg of nicotine is not the lowest amount in a cig. Light cigs only have about .5 - .7mg, so do your homework. And I said nicotine should be treated like caffeine.

I have a 24mg bottle sitting right in front of me with no warning label. I also know plenty of people who vape high amounts, up to 36mg without cutting it because they didn't know any better. Stop trying to advocate something so much because you like it that you don't care if there are others out there who might harm themselves from it. And stop trying to be a know it all, because you clearly don't.

I'm just trying to give helpful advice to people who want to vape but are experiencing side effects. I had these side effects, and this what helped the go away. End of story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast