Dry Throat and Mouth Issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Throat and Mouth Issues

Default Dry Throat and Mouth Issues

Hi - I'm hoping I can get some feedback from people who have had similar problems.

I switched from real cigs to e-cigs on January 13th. At the end of January, I quit using the e-cig, mainly because my mouth and throat became extremely dry, especially at night.

I only used the e-cig just under 3 weeks and then not a bunch. I definitely didn't "puff" as much as when I smoked real cigarettes.

So now, even though its been 12 days since I've used the e-cig I'm still having the dryness. One other thing is that I got a head cold around the same time I switched to e-cigs.

I'm not really sure what is causing this problem. Someone told me that because I quit smoking, my body is detoxing and that's why I have dry mouth/throat, but my dentist said usually its the opposite-that once you stop smoking, you should have more saliva, not less.

Any feedback/ideas would be appreciated. I am still a non-smoker and I really credit it to using the e-cig. Thanks for your help!

PV Master ECF Veteran

There are a few different things that cause the dry throat and mouth, it's very common and goes away after about a month usually.

• you MUST drink more water. E-cigs will dry you out very quickly. This is especially important - drink drink drink...
    PG can cause some throat sensitivity in the beginning. There's always a chance that you are allergic to PG, but from your description it doesn't sound like that's a problem.
    • you need to take long, slow airy drags with an e-cig, the quick hard drags you took when you smoked will irritate your throat now.
    • you can suck a lozenge, drink some hot tea, have a spoonful of honey... normal throat remedies.

Just know that it's totally normal, happens to most of us in the beginning, and will pass soon.

Good luck!

ps: if it doesn't go away in a couple weeks, try switching to VG

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Yep. has happened to a lot of us. My solution was to drop from pure PG juice to 80/20. I also stepped the Nic down from 36 too 20. I'm not sure if it was this, or just time, but it went away and I'm an extremely heavy vaporer at over 6ml a day.

Full Member Verified Member Gulliverfoyle's Avatar

This happened to me as well. PG is very drying, it's MSDS considers it a mild defatter if that helps. Took about a month for me to become used to it, still dry some of the time but it is winter here so I'm usually dried out by now anyway. I second the drink, drink, drink method. Gatorade works wonders for me.

Full Member Verified Member Gulliverfoyle's Avatar

Whew! Nice to know I'm not the only extreme vaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stownz View Post
    I'm an extremely heavy vaporer at over 6ml a day.

Thank you all for your replies, makes me feel a lot better. I just thought that after 12 days of NOT vaping that this dryness would be gone so it helps to hear it takes about a month. If I decide to return to vaping, I'll try the VG and see if that's any better.

Going to go get some water now...thanks again!

Since it has been 12 days with no nicotine, you may just have your habit kicked! If you feel the need to smoke, vape instead, but I think you are halfway to liberation!

holy cow, 6ml a day?? wow....

I have a 10ml sample bottle I got free, and it took me like a week to go through it... lol

Guess I would be considered a LIGHT vaporer :P

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have been going through about 3-4 tanks on my ego-t a day, my wife goes 2 full days on one tank. But she has smoked twice as many analogs since starting than I have. I think she is a little scared to get too carried away vaping.

Brew

Senior Member ECF Veteran

My mainstay is a bottle of water with me 24/7, but I also use Oasis mouthwash & oral spray for dry mouth. I'm on meds that dry me out, so it's a double-whammy . Of course the Oasis leaves a horrid minty taste that doesn't jive w/ most my vapes, but the taste doesn't last all that long

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast