No nicotine throat hit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No nicotine throat hit?

Default No nicotine throat hit?

Is throat hit solely tied to nicotine level?

Full Member ECF Veteran

Don't think so. From what I have read VG vs PG comes in to play as well.
    The veterans here can chime in on this.

I'm interested in this topic as well. For me the most important thing is a nice
    fulfilling lung full of vapor. Oh. And the nicotine of course.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The two are definitely related, but the PG?VG ratio also plays a role, as does the temperature that the atty burns at. I get better TH with a higher PG level and an LR atty using the same flavored juice, as well as a higher nic level.

PV Master ECF Veteran

The PG will allow any TH to come through while VG will mute it. LR atty's help a ton. Strong flavors like cinnamon and menthol create their own TH.

The nic has a peppery taste and irritates the tissues at the back of your throat (ta-da..TH) that gets amplified by the PG, so without the nic you may want to utilize your other resources to try to mimic that:

PG, LR atty, menthol (better yet, menthol crystals melted in alcohol - google) or strong cinnamon

Good luck!

ECF Guru ECF Veteran

BTW you cannot use LR attys or cartos on a slim ecig - you can fry the electronics of the battery. You CAN use them on the fat battery models like Ego and Riva 510 which are built to handle them

But for slim cigs, even something like a KR808D-1/Vapor4Life w/ WOW cartos vapes a bit hotter than a 510 and either will vape hotter than a super-mini

PG/VG makes a big difference
    Nicotine is a skin irritant -> TH and more nicotine -> more TH
    PG lets through the irritation/TH of nicotine the most, lets flavor through well too, makes less visible vapor
    VG smooths the vape, smooths the irritation/TH, dull flavor somewhat, adds more visible vapor

I like 70pg/30vg and sometime 80pg/20vg for more TH.

Then some flavors add their own throat sensation which can sort of substitute for TH at low nic levels. Mints, menthols, ginger, cinnamon and other spices, liquor flavors all often have throat sensation. On my hotter PV (KR808D-1 from Vapor4Life), even Backwoods Brew Vanilla Bean gives me some throat sensation at 12mg.

And there are additive for throat sensation like FreedomsSmoke USA Pepper ejuice and Flavourart's QHit (sold by FSUSA and others)

Here we go again. 98% of throat hit comes from 2 things: warmth of the vapor and nicotine strength. 2% comes from additives or PG vs VG. So if you only need a 2% change in your throat hit, you can change between PG vs VG.

So, using no nicotine will make it more difficult to get much in the way of TH. But if you increase the warmth of the vapor which requires more power, that should help more than any other option you have. Using low resistence attys is one method but does not come close to the effect of increased TH in comparison to increasing the power of the PV you use. The problem with LR attys is they degrade so quickly in performance.

So your best option is using a 5 volt or variable volt PV to adjust the other of the two main componets of throat hit. This will give you the best chance of having sufficient throat hit to satify you while using 0 nic eliquid.

Note: PG vs VG makes a MINOR difference. I use both, I like a strong TH, I vape 24mg strength eliquid, I use a variable volt PV. I know throat hit and what works and what works only slightly. I've tried easily 50 different methods to effect throat hit.
    Last edited by wv2win; 03-14-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Super Member ECF Veteran

For myself it is already proven

The exact same amount of nicotine will have a very different throat hit depending on the PG/VG ratio, on the exact same unit with the exact same temperature.

I am sure that nicotine does have an influence as well, but there is absolutely no question whatsoever that PG/VG ratio has a very large influence on throat hit. In fact I know it does, as I have 24mg juice in a 50-50 mix of Pg/Vg and 24mg nic in a mix of 80/20 Pg/Vg and there is no question that the throat hit is much greater with the 80/20 mix on the exact same e-cig with the same Nic level.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post

The exact same amount of nicotine will have a very different throat hit depending on the PG/VG ratio, on the exact same unit with the exact same temperature.

I am sure that nicotine does have an influence as well, but there is absolutely no question whatsoever that PG/VG ratio has a very large influence on throat hit. In fact I know it does, as I have 24mg juice in a 50-50 mix of Pg/Vg and 24mg nic in a mix of 80/20 Pg/Vg and there is no question that the throat hit is much greater with the 80/20 mix on the exact same e-cig with the same Nic level.
    I agree, I tried some VG juice once because I wanted the huge plumes of vapor and found that I couldn't use it because there was no TH at all and furthermore I couldn't taste it.

ON THE OTHER HAND: I haven't tried VG liquids in a HV e-cig.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran

I agree with Astronomer.

Even 18mg nic in 100% PG makes my tongue feel sore after a few hours like the results of a mouthful of much too hot cocoa.
    In 70pg/30vg there is a less sharp TH and little irritation and my tongue does not get sore

Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post

I don't agree at all. I use 24mg eliquid in both all PG and all VG liquid and find the difference very similar. I do agree that it changes it some but not that much. But the difference between a 5 volt or variable volt PV over a 3.7 volt PV in throat hit is very signifcant. I've used 15 different PV's over the time I have vaped and I know the effect this has on TH. My experience, validated by many long term vapers on this forum, pretty well supports the point that the vast majority of throat hit comes from warmth of the vapor (power of the device) and nicotine strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast