How long to charge battery...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How long to charge battery...

Question How long to charge battery...

Brand new e-cig owner and haven't found a clear-cut answer to a question I'm dying to know the answer to: How long should I charge a dse901 battery when charging for the first time? I've heard anything from "until the red light turns green" to 12 hours. The light is green now, and I want to start vaping... but I don't want to risk shortening battery life.

What's the real answer?

Kristen

Assclown Exterminator Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Until the light turns green. An 8 hour pre charge is not needed with a Lithium Ion battery.

Banned

I'd highly recommend the first charge being 8 hours. After that, every 3-4 hours is sufficient. I disregard the green light, I don't think it's a good indicator of the charge. Also, never overcharge your batteries or just leave them there, they can explode or even catch fire. Dangerous!

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by vapinjournalist View Post
    I'd highly recommend the first charge being 8 hours. After that, every 3-4 hours is sufficient. I disregard the green light, I don't think it's a good indicator of the charge. Also, never overcharge your batteries or just leave them there, they can explode or even catch fire. Dangerous!
    I think you are being too alarmist. A bad charger could cause problems, but that is unlikely............What you are saying is "don'[t drive you car, you may have a blowout and crash." Yes , that could happen, but not all that often to be frightened by it.

An 8 hour charge is not necessary, it just isn't.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

2 out of 5 suppliers I've dealt with have charged the batteries before sending, so don't be alarmed if the green light comes on after 10 minutes or so. I'd still leave them on for a few hours, but that's probably just old habits talking - I agree with Elendil, the green light should be your indicator.

With most lithium ion batteries that I have read, they have memory. Much like your cell phone battery or your laptop battery. The new take on those batteries is to run them completely dry and then give them a more than enough time to completely charge. This will allow the battery to have the maximum width of life (might be a little confusing there). Basically allow the battery to feel what completely empty and completely full is like. Now that will allow the battery to perform better according to laptop and cell phone batteries. I would transfer that to the battery here. As for leaving the battery plugged in, that should not have any effect on the life of it unless you have the ability to use (drain) the battery and charge it at the same time.

Ultra Member

I'm so confused!!!!!! Lolol

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Lithium Ion batteries do NOT have memory. Nickel metal hydride batteries suffer from that problem.

Repeat after me: Lithium Ion batteries do not have memory
    Lithium Ion batteries do not have memory
    Lithium Ion batteries do not have memory.................

Keep repeating until you remember it.
    AlanRK likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonZeph View Post
    With most lithium ion batteries that I have read, they have memory. Much like your cell phone battery or your laptop battery. The new take on those batteries is to run them completely dry and then give them a more than enough time to completely charge. This will allow the battery to have the maximum width of life (might be a little confusing there). Basically allow the battery to feel what completely empty and completely full is like. Now that will allow the battery to perform better according to laptop and cell phone batteries. I would transfer that to the battery here. As for leaving the battery plugged in, that should not have any effect on the life of it unless you have the ability to use (drain) the battery and charge it at the same time.

You should ask for this post to be deleted, or erase it yourself. It is simply not accurate.

Your correct in that it is a memory-free but... Don't know if the digital switch in a e-cig takes into this factor:

"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.) "

I do apologize but this is what I was referring to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast