Sore tongue?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sore tongue?

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Default Sore tongue?

Hi, I've been vaping now for ten days and all of a sudden my tongue is protesting. I've had this in the past - it's a weird thing called geographic tongue. Anyone else ever had it? To be honest my tongue looks awful! I'm guessing that this might be a stress reaction to quitting smoking? I hope it's just that and not a reaction to vaping I did read though that getting a 'sore tongue" can be a withdrawal symptom of quitting smoking. This confuses me though....I have quit smoking but not really.......I mean I'm still using nicotine.
    Has anyone had a reaction like this? I'm trying to drink more water and vape a little less in the hopes that this is just a temporary thing and will settle down after a few more days.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hi and welcome to ecf. Yes, I think it is possible and due to withdrawl...even tho you are not withdrawling from the nic, there are 4000 other chemicals that your body was used to.....and for all intents and purposes you have quit smoking....smoking is defined as 'burning tobacco'. ecigs do not burn.
    We put our bodies thru a lot when we smoked....it just needs time to heal.
    good luck

ECF Guru ECF Veteran

I am a sore tongue survivor. What strength nicotine are you vaping and is it 100% PG juice (or prefilled carts are usually 100% PG)? I used to get a bad sore numb tongue from 18mg in 100% PG. It would feel similar to after I've scalded my tongue on way-too-hot cocoa.

Nicotine is a skin irritant. Medium or high nicotine in 100% PG can make your tongue, throat or even lungs sore. If you are using extra high nicotine (like over 24mg) then I suggest using less, and if you are using 100% PG juice then buy some decent US juices and I recommend at least 30% VG in the base (i.e. 70pg/30vg)
    Last edited by dormouse; 04-26-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Hi, I'm using 18 mg of nic with 80 vg /20 pg being the percentage roughly.... I'm waiting on some 24 mg nic juice to come in because I feel like I'm almost chain vaping to try and keep the cravings under control. Don't know whether I'm vaping too much (and this is affecting my tongue) or if I use a higher percentage of nicotine if that will help me to vape less or whether the increased nicotine will just aggravate my tongue more. But, it could just be my whole system chucking a fit because all those OTHER nasties in cigarettes have been suddenly withdrawn from my system. Who knows?

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I think that it may be the PG. I had the same thing happen when I first started vaping. I used 36 mg and as soon as I added more VG and less PG my tongue healed and I had no more problems. I did not lower my nic only lowered the PG.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran

What kind of ecig? If you are using EGo or Riva and LR atty or LR cartos, try standard resistance atty or cartos.

So your current juice is mostly VG? Is it Avejuice by chance? I think they have something spicy hot in at least one of those to get the good TH with VG. Whatever is in Boba's Bounty would leave a lasting burn for me. Other than that I am clueless because 30% VG plus sipping at liquids frequently was enough for my tongue to stop getting sore.

Re cravings - first 2 months I could not vape foody/fruity juices alone because I could not stop. It had to be a good tobacco jucie with an aroma that left me feeling satisfied like I had smoked. And are you smelling the vapor? You need to smell it.

The first juice to fully satisfy me was Backwoods Brew Casablanca, a complex Turkish blend. And I also enjoyed FreedomSMokeUSA Desert Ship, a stronger Turkish Blend. Turkish blends are a bit nutty and a bit pungent and remind many of the smell of a freshly opened pack. I also add FreedomSMokeUSA Cocoa to many tobaccos in the cart or carto because every cig brand I have ever liked has cocoa in it (Marlboros, Parliaments, Capris etc)
    Last edited by dormouse; 04-26-2011 at 04:33 AM.

I'm using the ego T and I presume it's a standard atomizer? (Still learning about all the bits ) The juice we get is from here in Australia. It's not Avejuice. I was a menthol smoker so at first I was vaping menthol but it was TOO menthol for me....seemed to dry my throat out too much so I switched to strawberry. My husband has a tobacco flavour here but neither of us like it. I'm not really fussed about the actual flavour itself. I just want the nicotine, lol!
    When we moved interstate a few years ago I had a similar thing happen to my tongue and I'm positive it was a stress reaction to the whole move (I got really depressed) Now whether or not I was smoking myself silly and drinking too much alcohol at the time (given that up now too) and THOSE things were an irritant to my tongue or whether it was just simply being so stressed I don't know. My body seems to react and things come out physically very easily whenever I'm anxious or stressed so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening now. Funny thing is I feel very positive. I'm so glad to not be feeling the guilt of being a "smoker". That in itself I'm sure was making me sick! I really really want this to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_and_Spice View Post
    Hi and welcome to ecf. Yes, I think it is possible and due to withdrawl...even tho you are not withdrawling from the nic, there are 4000 other chemicals that your body was used to.....and for all intents and purposes you have quit smoking....smoking is defined as 'burning tobacco'. ecigs do not burn.
    We put our bodies thru a lot when we smoked....it just needs time to heal.
    good luck
    I had never thought of the other chemicals when it came to the addiction...but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing/clarifying this

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Are you drinking lots of water?? Vaping without drinking extra water can really dry you out... causes headaches and all kinds of nasty stuff from dehydration... this may be the culprit!

Hi, yes I'm trying to drink a lot more than I have been as I know vaping can dry you out but perhaps I need even MORE fluids. I've been drinking lemon juice and honey in warm water too. In the past this seemed to help with the geographic tongue for some reason.
    I just read a whole thread about people having problems with VG. Read something about it irritating the lungs (I do feel a little tight/heavy in my chest at times) I wonder if it could be the VG perhaps irritating both my mouth and chest ? Maybe I need to experiment a little and see what happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast