Second Hand e-Smoke
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Second Hand e-Smoke

Default Second Hand e-Smoke

Is second hand e-smoke bad for the people around me?

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Doubtful. Exhaled vapor probably contains only 1% or less nicotine. The people around you will become addicted to nicotine nor will they develop any of the problems associated with second-hand smoke. The only thing that might happen is they would catch the slight scent of whatever it is that you're vaping. I haven't the slightest idea of who would complain about smelling chocolate, coffee or fruit.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I second what WomanOfHeart says. I've had my daughter want to turn some of my liquids into airfresheners but no person in the house has ever said that they are having strange reactions to my using PV's. Even if a person would ingest some of the vapor, it would be minute in comparison to inhaling second hand smoke. Vapor is heavier so it falls to the ground faster.
    MOD HOARDER

"Second Hand Vapor" is about as harmful as a fog machine or one of those halloween decorations with "smoke effects", mainly because it's the same stuff. most of the nicotine is absorbed in your mouth when you are inhaling anyway, so the nic levels are going to be lower than (or on par with) that of a tomato (yep tomatoes have nicotine in them). Still, I wouldn't blow it in their face or anything.... that's just rude.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I would guess they get little to no nicotine. If anything, just the pg/vg. We only get a small percentage of nic (as compared to what we got smoking) so after inhaling then exhaling.. I would have to guess there is very little left. Plus they would have to be in close proximity and/or an enclosed space.

But Im not a scientist.. Just an educated guess from what I've read around here.

Sent from my pod

Thanks, gotta think about the family.

The one bad thing I have to say about smoking e-cigs is I don't have to go outside anymore. I chain vape now

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by appzaholic View Post
    All objective information to date suggests the risk to bystanders is less than a glade plugin (HMIS health rating 2 - Moderate Risk) or unregulated paraffin candles. PG/VG in contrast have a HMIS health rating of 0. There is the NZ study that shows that 98% of nicotine is absorbed by the user, which would mean for a 2.6% solution (24mg/ml) would be equal to .52%, which typically used 1mg/time, which is dissipated quite quickly. Nicotine is still accepted as an organic insecticide up to 40% for general use, and that's volumes more in a short burst than 1-2ml over 16 hours. Not to speak of catsup or e-plant, which is more than what a bystander would be exposed to if they opted to suck your vapor.

So the base material poses less risk than other things people use, the nicotine dissipates to trace levels, and the flavoring is FDA food grade, what you'd be exposed to cooking.

But nothing is risk free, thus if someone wouldn't use scented paraffin candles, or scented detergent, or has a sensitivity to PG, it might be prudent to put down your PV.
    mergryphon likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The one bad thing I have to say about smoking e-cigs is I don't have to go outside anymore. I chain vape now
    LOL, that tends to happen

Super Member ECF Veteran

You might take a look at this thread: Silly QOD: What's in the exhaled vapor?

When one vapes air is being drawn in and is mixed with the vapor that comes off the coil of the heater. I have not seen specific research on the issue but if comparable to analogs, the mix of air to vapor of what is draw into mouth will be on the order of 4 parts air to 1 part vapor. At the link mentioned you will find that it is highly probable that over 99% of the nicotine in that mix is absorbed by the vaper. So using these figures and assuming a use of 18mg juice (i.e. 1.8%), that 1.8% is diluted to 1/5 of that at draw in (0.36% now), then 99% is absorbed (0.0036% now) and 0.0036% of what is exhaled is possibly nicotine. So, maybe there is a little nicotine in the exhale - but not much. Just looking at nicotine, very,very small with "e-cig smoke". For analogs, situation is quite different when it comes to the nicotine in side-steam and second-hand smoke. If you go here: Clearing the Smoke: Assessing the Science Base for Tobacco Harm Reduction
    you will find that the nicotine in the side stream smoke is 260% to 330% of the amount of nicotine that the smoker draws in. Those 260% to 330% figures are to analogs what 0.0036% is to "e-cig smoke". The facts seem to be that second-hand "e-smoke" is about as bad as for the people around you as your exhale is bad for them.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I can report that my mother in law was about 4-5 feet away from me and it irratated her throat.... I've vaped around a lot of people and she's the first and only to react that way.. (and no, she's not a bad mother in law or a liar lol)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast