Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Lost the long post I had typed. Will try again. I'm almost afraid to post here.

Unhappy Lost the long post I had typed. Will try again. I'm almost afraid to post here.

I landed here on this site after I made my first purchase today and after reading here all day - to the point of my eyes blurring - I am afraid I have made a bad decision.

My backgound is that I started smoking in my teens - I'm in my mid 60's now. Started with Marlboro reds - less than a pack a day - for quite a few years. Things happened and my smoking increased to about a pack and a half a day. Cost of traditional cigs went up and I switched to a generic 100's full flavor brand, still averaging around a pack and a half a day. My husband died when I was 55 and that's where things got ugly. He had been sick for a long time (was older than me); had several serious health issues; and COPD that required O2 around the clock the last 3 years of his life. You would think that would have scared me straight, but it did the opposite. He was gone, I was alone, and my cigs became my "best friend". At one point I hit an all-time high of 2 packs a day - USA Gold Full Flavor 100's - although I have always been one of those people who light a cigarette and then leave it burning in the ash tray while doing other things - running back and forth for a drag when needed.

When traditional cigs went through the roof - and my income fell below the basement - (for me, in the past year), I found myself in a world of trouble. Quit smoking aids either didn't work for me or made me very sick. Chantix nearly killed me (no exaggeration). What to do? Someone (a total stranger) suggested rolling my own - when they saw me about to shell out $85 for a carton of USA's. I was hesitant, but also desperate. He told me what kind of machne to buy, what kind of loose tobacco to buy, and what kind of tubes to buy. When all was said and done, the machine paid for itself in a week and after shopping around, I am now able to roll a pack of cigarettes for a less than $2 a pack. Great - right? Wrong!!
    It may be helping my pocketbook, but it's causing significant health issues.

Someone bought me an e-cig from a convenience store, with hopes that it would help me out. It was useless. No hit, didn't satisfy my cravings, and lasted a day (or less). That sent me to the internet in search of something better and about all I have accomplished is feeling like I have stepped into the "Twilight Zone". I have read and read and read. I have watched video after video. I've probably been to every single site online that sells e-cigs and I'm still lost. Just the "lingo" alone makes my head spin in a complete circle! But - I felt the need to do something and do it soon - because I'm having terrible coughing fits in the morning, I'm so tired all the time I could cry (probably due to lack of oxygen), and I have zero will power right now in terms of giving up nicotine cold turkey.

So - first thing this morning I took the plunge and ordered the Joye eGo from a very reasonably priced site - located in the US - (with free priority shipping) and a bottle of juice that is supposed to be "similar" to Marlboro reds. I could semi understand their lingo - as to what I'm getting - and then I found this site. Now I have a terrible sinking feeling that I've made a gigantic mistake; I won't know what to do with this product when I get it; I won't know what I have to buy "new" when needed; it isn't going to work right; and I'm not going to be able to ask anyone for advice because none of this lingo makes a whit of sense to me.

Bottom line is: Did I waste my money - trying to enter a world that I don't belong in? I am so discouraged now, I could sit here and cry.

If you have read this far, thanks for listening.

DM
    Sir Vapes A Lot Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The eGo you got will be a great start... get some LR/Low resistance cartomizers for it and a few flavors of ejuice to see what flavor works for you... there are many folks here to help out and will chime in quickly... good luck to you and sorry about your hubb
    ControlledChaos and BB3 like this.

MTV
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

first... welcome to ECF I am a new to e-cigs also and trying to learn as fast as I can. But, I can tell you that the people here are great and have a positive attitude! They will answer any and all question that you have. Good luck in your journey

Welcome! Glad you stopped by ECF! I agree with the first response, the EGO is a GREAT choice! It was my first choice and since the day I got it I have not smoked a single cigarette. Smoke free for a little over a month like my signature says.

I'm sure you can do it because it's obvious you really want to quit. If you still crave cigarettes don't get discouraged, try different nicotine levels, different flavors, different vendors until you get that perfect vape and TRUST ME, you will not want to go back to the cigarettes and you should be pretty happy.

That's how it was for me at least, once I realized the only liquid for me was Menthol and 24mg nicotine was what I needed I never looked back. Good luck to you, and hit us up here ANYTIME you ever need help. People are very friendly and eager to help.

-David

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

All the terminology can be overwhelming, but this is one of the friendliest communities I've ever come across. If you have questions, even ones you think are stupid, ask. Someone will be along to help, so don't give up.

As far as what you've bought, the eGo is a popular model, so you'll be in good company. I've used a tank model of the eGo and liked it quite a bit. I've gone a different direction since, but I still have it as a backup. As for whether it'll work for you, that's an open question and one that can't really be answered. Typically, it seems, ecig users spend quite a bit, especially when we're just getting started, but it doesn't have to be that way. Over time, you'll probably have to replace your entire kit (batteries wear out, atomizers/cartomizers pop, juice runs out), but you'll spread it out so it won't be so expensive. $20 here and there.

I know I probably haven't answered all your questions, but I just wanted to reassure you that you can ask your questions as you have them. No need to try to drink from the firehouse and get everything down at once.

Super Member ECF Veteran jwquantrell's Avatar

Welcome to ECF!!

I think you made a wonderful choice for your ecig. The Ego is a solid unit and I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

Make sure that you read the posts at The ECF Library and that will solve any lingo issues you may feel that you have.

One thing that jumped out at me on your post was "Did I waste my money - trying to enter a world that I don't belong in?" My response to this is that this, in my humble opinion, is exactly the world you belong in. You have everything in common with us and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Regards
    Jim

GGTS 130 ~ SSGGTS 1323 ~ P10 ~ P18 ~ Provari ~ Iatty

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oh yagottawanna (love your screen name by the way!) you sound so sad and discouraged. Don't lose hope before you even get your kit! I am in my third week - wasn't even planning my fourth (or is it fifth?) quit attempt until the 4th of July but got down to just a few regular cigs a day within the first week with a "penstyle" unit and now that I have my EGO haven't had a cig in a few days - I have most of a pack left but REALLY prefer my EGO! Wow, no one is more shocked than me. So I think you made a good choice with your first cig - saved you the trial and error most of the rest of us noobs went through.
    So, it's not as complicated as some of these posts make out. Many tips won't even make sense to you until you get into vaping. When you get your kit, just charge a battery, screw on the metal "atomizer", plot a drop of ejuice inside, snap in a prefilled cart (assume you got prefilled), press the button and start puffing. The first few puffs may have a slightly nasty aftertaste (sort of like a REAL cig has), puff away for about 10 puffs without inhaling and you are on your way. One very important point - you draw no the ecig a little different. Take a fairly long (5 second or so) draw into your mouth, then inhale. That's what gets you the ciggie like "throat hit". The prefilled juice in the carts isn't the best, but it will get you started until you start to explore more options. I just got in Boge 2.0 cartomizers and it makes the whole process simpler and more enjoyable. Best of luck and keep trying!
    PS I read your post because of the title - I did the same thing on my first post but never did retype the LONG entry!
    VeggieGirl and rainkeltoia like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The Ego is a great choice! Now, stop with those tears.........

What does your Ego kit come with?

What lingo do you need definition for? Just ask. We'll answer. Sometimes with pics.
    JC Okie and Boodle like this.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Yago, I want to reassure you that you HAVE made the right choice with both your decision to quit and the purchase of your eGo kit. My first suggestion to you is to buy some juice with a couple of different nicotine strengths and in different flavors. You should probably try out some 24mg and 18mg nicotine levels to start and get a couple of different PG/VG mixes.

About PG and VG:

PG is propylene glycol. It's a thin, somewhat sweet liquid that provides what we call "throat hit" (TH) <-----if you hover over abbreviations like that one, it will tell you what it means! Pretty nifty, huh?

VG is vegetable glycerine. It's thicker than PG and this is what gives you a smoother, more dense vapor. It can mute some flavors, but don't worry. It won't completely take it away.

I vape a 60PG/40VG mix and occasionally a 50/50. Tons of vapor with only a little throat hit. I love it!

You can get juice from all sorts of online vendors. I happen to like VaporBomb, Gourmet Vapor and Ms. T's Bakery (the Bananas Foster Coffee is to die for!) Where ever you decide to buy your juice, start out with around 30 or 40mls. Like I said, different flavors...keep an open mind about this because finding a really good flavor can help you quit!

Yes, you can quit with e-cigs. Some quit immediately when they start vaping, others need a little time to make the switch and some just have a cigarette once in a while and vape, too. This is completely up to you and whatever you're comfortable doing. Nobody here is going to come down on you if you don't quit the cigarettes. NOBODY! That's what makes this place great. We're all here for each other!

If you have any other questions, please let us know! We're here to help you and the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Welcome to ECF You belong here as much as anyone else! This place is full of good people and all the information you need, so relax and look forward. The ego is a good buy and even if it doesn't suit you there are loads of folk ready to help you find what will. Don't be discouraged and don't give up. I smoked for 35 years and I haven't lit up now for near ten weeks and I don't want to. Ecigs are great and they work, you just need to give them a chance. Good luck to you!

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast