Can I use my cell phone charger (USB port) to charge my eGo-T Batteries??
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Can I use my cell phone charger (USB port) to charge my eGo-T Batteries??

Default Can I use my cell phone charger (USB port) to charge my eGo-T Batteries??

Y'all - I am going out of town and I don't have an eGo car charger!! Didn't think I would need one?

My cell phone, car charger, has an USB port. It's 1600 mAh. (whatever that means).

Mucho Gracias!!

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Are there any numbers or specs on the back of your cell phone charger?

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    Are there any numbers or specs on the back of your cell phone charger?
    There isn't much on the back. Made in China. Shows "CE" and "E1J."

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoDakota View Post
    There isn't much on the back. Made in China. Shows "CE" and "E1J."
    I think this is the box that it came in??

BLL1-0992
    L91/97/9530 RECT CLA

It's an retractable charger from verizon. (Cellularsales.com)

ECF Guru ECF Veteran

What is the output voltage and ma of your USB charger?

This is a plain auto lighter or AC to USB right? That you will plug a REAL Ego charger cable into?
    If its output is 4.2v to 5v and its ma are 420ma or more, it should work fine.

Since the Ego cable can charge on a PC (5v 500ma) can charge on higher ma and just use what it needs, and it usually puts out 4.2v at 420ma to the battery itself, then just make sure it has that much ma or more.
    Last edited by dormouse; 07-23-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Full Member Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

there's a lot of tech data missing here but err-ing on the side of caution: the ego charger works from a 500ma input and converts to 420ma for charging, connecting it to a 1600mah source would probably kill it.. can't be 100% sure for how fast or if it's going to also hurt the battery (or even phone charger) but I personally wouldn't try it.

I would recommend a backup battery and taking the mains adapter with you so you can charge when you get there (2 batteries should give you more than a day's vaping for sure)
    Last edited by vsinner; 07-23-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typos

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I Googled those numbers and didn't see anything that looked like a charger.

I don't think I would risk your eGo batteries without more information about your charger.

You can get something like this if you have a store in your area that sells stuff for cell phones or computers.

Lenmar USB DC Car Adapter Charger for MP3 : Portable Music Car Charger | RadioShack.com

You don't have to buy a special e-Cigarette charger. Any "Universal" USB car chrager should work fine.
    Just tell them that you need 5v output at 500mAh which is pretty standard for USB ports.
    Last edited by zoiDman; 07-23-2011 at 01:11 AM.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran

I have used a 2000ma source with no problem at all - more milliamps or amps at the USB are FINE as long as you have your Ego USB to battery cable. The Ego cable will only take what it needs. If you don't have your Ego cable then no, you cannot connect it to a higher amp source.

If you do not have your Ego cable then go to VaporSearchUSA.com and try to find a store that has one.
    Last edited by dormouse; 07-23-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Full Member Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
    No - I have used a 2000mah source - more amps are FINE as long as you have your Ego USB to battery cable. The Ego cable will only take what it needs. if you don't have your Ego cable then no, you cannot connect it to a higher amp source.
    There you go then a little more complexity than what I though these little chargers had in them!

all the usb adapters I've even come across give out 5V (makes sense considering that's usb working voltage) so that should be a safe bet

Quote Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
    No - I have used a 2000mah source - more amps are FINE as long as you have your Ego USB to battery cable. The Ego cable will only take what it needs. If you don't have your Ego cable then no, you cannot connect it to a higher amp source.

If you do not have your Ego cable then go to VaporSearchUSA.com and try to find a store that has one.
    I have an eGo USB battery cable. To charge on the computer verses electrical outlet. And they will be traveling with me.

I have 2 eGo 900 batteries but I know I am going to be in the car a long time and I got afraid! LOL - I appear to be addicted to vaping now! My husband is questioning how much vaping I plan to do (he sees 2 pink "somethings) and he is still leary that "vapor" is a second hand chemical of some kind.

He is really grateful that it's not going to be bonafide second hand smoke!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast