Is loss of taste normal when starting out?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is loss of taste normal when starting out?

Question Is loss of taste normal when starting out?

I've noticed a loss of taste when vaping. Only when vaping; not when eating or drinking. The first day that I started vaping, I could taste the flavors of the cartos very distinctly. However, now, I can't really taste the flavor. At first, I thought that it was the fact that I had taken the cartos out of the blister pack and put them in my pcc. But, I just received some e-liquid and blank cartos from litecig and after filling the blanks I still really can't taste the new flavors very well unless I exhale through my nose (which makes sense with the correlation with smell and taste). Is this due to the type of e-liquid/cartos used or is this a side-effect of quitting analogs? I guess I'm just curious if this will get better the longer I'm off analogs or if I need to look at a different e-liquid?

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

It's normal and it happens to all of us from time to time, but more so during the first couple of weeks of vaping. Your taste buds regenerate about every two weeks or so, so the loss of flavor could last for a couple of days.

You can try eating some crusty bread, drinking more water, rinsing your mouth with mouthwash (Biotene is highly recommended by some members), switching your juice flavors to something stronger such as mints, cinnamon and menthols.
    zaxytha likes this.

PV Master* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It can be a variety of things. Loss of flavour from the juices can be fouled cartos/attys (as they get fouled, gunk builds up on the coils which raises the resistance and makes them burn cooler which reduces flavour), in which case give your attys a good thorough cleaning. (Rinse in water or soak in PGA, isopropanol or vodka, go through a few cycles, let sit for 24-48 hours or longer depending on what it is you're cleaning; cartos take longer because of all the filler). Sometimes the juice itself just isn't very strong in flavour, depending on the vendor and the blend. PG-based juices carry flavour better than VG-based. LR cartos and attys can boost the flavour by atomizing at higher temperatures, as can high or variable voltage devices. Also make sure your batteries are good and charged; many batteries have a voltage dropoff curve as you go through them, and as the voltage drops, so does the temperature, so flavour is lost. You could also become fatigued from that particular flavour. Switching flavours or eating something or rinsing your mouth out with something strong like mouthwash can help cleanse the palate and rejuvenate the flavour. I keep a couple of different flavours in different cartos for when I need a change. That definitely helps -- especially when one of the flavours is markedly difference, like chocolate mint in one and coffee or something in another.

However, your sense of taste will perk up after a week or so of quitting analogs, so depending on how long it has been since your last smoke this could make a difference.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

it could be anything.. the juice, your cartos, your batt... also to smoking analogs do cause loss of taste, but it will come back in due time... post what pv you are using and I am sure some regs will gladly help you on your flavor quest

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Have you had your juices out in the sun/heat? My juices were amazing when I first got them but I've noticed that as soon as I let them get hot they lose a TON of flavor.

Have to be more careful with my next batch.

Are you vaping the same flavor over and over? Switching them up frequently will help while you're in this phase.

I'm a week without any analogs, and just realized that I've been putting way too much sugar in my coffee for years. Taste buds are waking up from all the smokey anesthetic!
    Neketa318, NeoLythic and Ladypixel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tat2d4life View Post
    post what pv you are using and I am sure some regs will gladly help you on your flavor quest
    I'm using a Volt KR808

Quote Originally Posted by izabella View Post
    Are you vaping the same flavor over and over? Switching them up frequently will help while you're in this phase.
    I've been vaping mostly Desert Joe from SI and after about the 3rd or 4th carto, I stopped being able to taste it at all. I also had a sampler pack from them (555, RY4, Cappuccino, Cowboy, Desert Joe). I tried the RY4 on the first day and it had a strong and distinct flavor, but when I went back to it yesterday, I couldn't taste anything! I just got some Dekang e-liquid from litecig (Energy Cow, USA Red Mix, and Djarum Black) and just filled some blanks a few hours ago and still have the same problem.

Good read I thought I was going mad ... I was add more flavour all times

PV Master ECF Veteran

My taste buds have memory of an elephant.

Some flavors are a wow first day only.

I have found some flavors that work long term also.

I'm going throught this "no flavor" phase right now. No fair, I wanna taste my Vapor Bomb Peach.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast