Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird eGo batteries

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swedishfish View Post
    Then there's another newer post that says to recharge them before they die.

The whole battery thing makes me a little crazy.
    SF,

I sure wish I had tagged that post. But basically it said that recharging prior to run down would extent batt life. BUT, letting them deplete would not shorten the batt life.

Sorry I can't give any links...

ETA: Frack<<>>"Caprica". Oh, did ya noticed I said 'tick instead of 'pizz'...
    Last edited by Iffy; 09-09-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: SF is too quick fer me...
    If I'm awake, I vape!
    No 'bakky' since Apr 14, 2011, after 45 years of 2 PaD <insert Snoopy dance here>

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

No, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. But it's sort of frustrating when they sell this stuff together and then you find out you shouldn't be using it. Or maybe you can, then someone else says you shouldn't.

Sort of like batteries. When I started there was a big post here about how you shouldn't recharge your battery until it's dead. Then there's another newer post that says to recharge them before they die.

The whole battery thing makes me a little crazy.
    You and me both, dear. Deep inhale, with or without vapor. I always said I was a smoker, switched to vaper but became electrician instead (hardly).

I think the trouble in this case is the loose definition of LR attys. I broke up attys as 1.5 - 2 = low, 2 - 3 = standard and 3+ as high. It depends on the audience I guess.

Btw, the current thinking is charging your batt at 40% capacity prolongs its life.
    A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry...to sleep, perchance to dream...

ECF Veteran

That's OK, I read that post. It even had a graph so it must be right! Seriously, it did make sense. But when I first started vaping I read a post about not charging until they were dead.

Then there's the whole thing about to screw or not to screw the battery into the charger while it's plugged in. Who knew batteries were so complicated.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iffy View Post
    SF,

I sure wish I had tagged that post. But basically it said that recharging prior to run down would extent batt life. BUT, letting them deplete would not shorten the batt life.

Sorry I can't give any links...

ETA: Frack<<>>"Caprica"
    Guilty! I saw a thread in Modding forum and referenced it in my thread 2 weeks ago. The original thread quoted Andrew Wong of AW batts.

edit: still searching for the 13th colony, but in the original series.
    Last edited by JustaGuy; 09-09-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry...to sleep, perchance to dream...

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

... screw or not to screw the battery into the charger while it's plugged in.
    PM me if ya really want to know the secret!

(if doesn't matter which way ya do it)
    If I'm awake, I vape!
    No 'bakky' since Apr 14, 2011, after 45 years of 2 PaD <insert Snoopy dance here>

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

About the battery questions, almost all of factory made PV are using lithium-ion right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I found this website about batteries, I think you should read this

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have used LR attys with eGo batteries and had no problems thus far. I am actually using Dual Coil LR Cartos and have no problems either.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran fray's Avatar

To have so many problems with battery posts falling leads me to believe you are over tightening the atomizers/cartos. When threading on the atty it has to be only slightly snug.

Just a thought anyway

Ultra Member ECF Veteran GIMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustaGuy View Post
    I think the eGos are 3.3v or 3.4v. The Madvapes table recommends 3.7v or more for under 2.0 ohm LR attys - Why resistance and voltage is important!. If that is true, either you have to return the LR attys or try a 3.7v Riva 510 kit for your next batt purchase, $30 at Liberty-Flights.

I thought I read someone was using LRs with eGo, but...
    Not sure I agree with this. I have an ego with an ego booster, and from what I've read (and personally tried), higher voltages don't work as well with lower reistance attys/cartos. Reason being, if you have higher voltage, but are using lower resistance, it's basically the same as using lower voltage with regular resistance. My understanding of it is like this: The higher you go in voltage, the higher resistance you want in an atty/carto to get the best effect. I will say that my 3.0 ohm boge cartos work MUCH better than my 2.0 ohm LR cartos. So I'm not sure that your post was correct in saying that you need something higher voltage than a stardard ego batt to use LR attys. I used nothing but LR cartos for several months with my ego before I got the EB and had no problems other than wishing I had a drip tip to protect my lips from the heat of the LR cartos.

As to the problem of the center post, I've had this issue exactly 1 time in the 7 months I've used my one and only ego mega battery. I was out and about, and I borrowed a safey pin from my fiancee. I used the tip of the safety pin to kinda lightly pry upwards on the center post. I couldn't tell that I moved it, but it started working again and I haven't had a problem since. Sounds like your problem is you're screwing things onto your battery way too hard. You don't have to get these devices as tight as you can possibly get them. Just snug em down onto the batt so they don't unscrew on their own, and you're good to go. That's all the strength that's needed

Quote Originally Posted by B4DJ1N64N View Post
    About the battery questions, almost all of factory made PV are using lithium-ion right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I found this website about batteries, I think you should read this
    BatteryU is a good site from the pov of fairly generic design techniques. The challenge is few if any chargers really operate correctly, and some loads are anything but battery friendly. The e-cig load is one of the worst as far as battery stress goes... I've been designing battery powered devices since LiIon became commercially viable in consumer gear. There are gotchas everywhere.

nOOb vaper, but grey beard designer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast