Horrible headaches
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dormouse
  • 1 Post By sh_
  • 1 Post By araczynski

Thread: Horrible headaches

Default Horrible headaches

I stopped smoking 7 weeks ago and have been vaping for about 5 weeks. For the past few days I've had really bad, can't-get-out-of-bed headaches. I stopped vaping in case that was the problem, and sure enough today I felt fine. This evening I took 4 or 5 pulls from my e-cig over the course of 10 minutes. Almost immediately I had an awful headache again - had to eat ibuprofen and lie down until it went away. So it seems the e-cig is to blame...

I've looked around on here, and have seen people talking about overdoing it, too much nic, or dehydration being to blame. But that doesn't seem to make sense - I've been drinking water all day, I only had a couple of pulls, and it's the same strength nicotine as I've been using for a month with no problem.

Anybody else had similar experiences? I really like vaping and would prefer to not have to give it up, but these headaches are unbearable...

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry, have you recently changed something? Like the juice flavor, strength or vendor? Is this a new bottle you opened? Could you have gotten a hold of higher strength or vaping something with cinnamon? It seems so odd this is happening after 7 weeks. There has got to be an answer.

Red and Black Reo Grand, Baby Black and Silver Mini, Black oo, Black IPro with M1A1 Tanks and a Black and Silver Reo Grand in my hand.

Super Member ECF Veteran

What is the nicotine strength you're using?

I find I have a tolerance limit with vaping; I can vape a lot for a few days in a row, then I have to slow down because I'll get a headache, feel congested and have a sore neck closer to the back of my head. It seems like it takes a while to build up the nicotine in my system then I reach that point of where I just need to use low mg juice if I want to vape.

You could be intolerant to something in the juice, to the nicotine, to the pg or vg or any number of things. I wouldn't be so fast as to say it's the ecig as it's more likely the liquid; try out a higher pg or vg ratio, lower your nicotine and try out some new liquids and perhaps a different heating system. Some people don't take to cartomisers with filler in them for example though it's a pretty small percentage. What kind of ecig do you have?

ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Headaches are usually too much nicotine in too short a time period (caused by the vasoconstriction effect of nicotine). Other symptoms can be rapid or irregular heartbeat, cold fingers, hazy/ill feeling

Since you triggered a headache by just vaping for a brief time after not vaping for a while that would be my first guess - your liquid may have too high nicotine for you or more than it says on the label

Other causes
    Smoking Cessation
    Dehydration - you have to stay hydrated with vaping
    Automatic batteries (use manuals so your drag does not need to trigger a switch)
    Dragging too hard (does not make more vapor with ecigs)
    Biting on the end of the hard tip
    The larger size of the tip of an ecig (mainly for TMJ sufferers)
    Body position when vaping
    PG or VG or flavoring allergy
    Improperly made juice with much too high nicotine
    Last edited by dormouse; 01-06-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Beans likes this.

sh_
    Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Hello,

I started to use 24mg nic in a few juices and I noticed the difference. I got headache after a few minutes vaping w/o to eat anything (before dinner).

I didnt have any headache before using 18mg, so I assume thats related to the nic level.
    Beans likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

nic level more than likely, especially if sucking in juice in addition to the vape.
    Beans likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

hi, just another similar input.
    i get a dull heavy headache when i am testing out my diy juice. i'm pretty darn sure they r all below mg and diying them makes them even lower due to added flavourings and menthol drops that is 0 nic. and so, too much vape in too little time = too much nic intake = headache for me. hehe.

p.s. i forget to mention i'm a migraine sufferer.
    Last edited by Muramasa; 01-06-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added info.
    I'm retired~in ECF lol. t(^.^t)

Do you have a prior history of headaches or migraines?

Yes, too much nicotine can trigger headaches, migraines or cluster headaches. I've been there while smoking, but no problems with vaping so far.

I've had experience with cluster headaches, the severe form of migraines. There are a number of possible triggers. Migraines and cluster headaches typically include a very painful reaction to light reaching the eyes and nausea.

Too much nicotine would be the primary suspect but other factors come into play, especially stress. See a doctor if the headaches persist.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I would go to a doctor if I were you. Do you suffer from hypertension? It also could be a reaction to an ingredient in you juice, so sort of sensitivity. I would check your blood pressure if you decide to try vaping again as the spike in nic could cause headaches.

<<<This evening I took 4 or 5 pulls from my e-cig over the course of 10 minutes.>>>

That sounds like a lot of nic after having not smoked for a few days especially if you are using a high strength