Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Vegetable Glycerin Material Safety Data Sheet.....

Default Vegetable Glycerin Material Safety Data Sheet.....

Can someone please explain how we are (mostly) all just fine vaping VG, yet this MSDS portrays VG to be dangerous to inhale? (Scroll down to inhalation section, and first aid for inhalation). Thanks.

//www.essentialdepot.com/msds/msds%20glycerin%20kosher%20food%20grade.pdf"]http://www.essentialdepot.com/msds/msds%20glycerin%20kosher%20food%20grade.pdf

[/URL]

broke live download !! You can add this to the beginning:
    [URL="http:
    Last edited by classwife; 01-28-2012 at 12:20 AM.

EJH
    Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It says inhalation may cause "mild irritation."

The first aid measures look boiler-plate...it's just saying, if a person is not breathing, give them mouth-to-mouth, if heart's stopped, give CPR. I can't imagine VG causing either of these, unless you've drowned in it.

EJ
    Arkhalis likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran madjack's Avatar

I saw nothing about "dangerous"...what it said under the inhalation section is, it can be a "mild irritant" if misted and inhaled and most of us are aware of the "mild irritant" side of VG...if this is a concern, don't use VG based juices and just use PG based juices...let us know if that works for you........
    madjack
    Jim Bob likes this.

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers
    Riva 510s, 2, 14650 E-Powers & EverCool box mod w/Resurrectors/Boges/dccs

Full Member Verified Member

Sounds like a generic "CYA" clause they put on there to help shield themselves in case someone manages to find a way to hurt themselves with it. Some MSDSes go way farther then they ever have to. I once saw a MSDS for a low concentration saltwater solution (about the concentration of sea water) that indicated it was harmful if swallowed and the first aid section indicated a person should induce vomiting if swallowed. I know it's not wise to drink salt water as it could dehydrate you, but it seemed a little extreme. I could understand if it was a harmful salt compound, but it was just water and good old fashioned salt (NaCl) in a low concentration solution.
    Jim Bob likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Charlz's Avatar

Not classified as a carcinogen
    Doesn't cause reproductive or mutagenic effects
    No skin or respiratory sensitivities known

All good.

Can produce toxic fumes when burned at temps above 300 degrees- don't do that.
    And if you do, getting fresh air is all you need.
    No, that is not a Provari in my pocket. So guess what that means!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlz View Post
    Not classified as a carcinogen
    Doesn't cause reproductive or mutagenic effects
    No skin or respiratory sensitivities known

All good.

Can produce toxic fumes when burned at temps above 300 degrees- don't do that.
    And if you do, getting fresh air is all you need.
    Has anyone determined what temp an atty heats up to ?

P.S. I guess this means I shouldn't heat my wood stove up to glowing red, and then poor my juice on it to get my vape on if my battery dies.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Charlz's Avatar

seems as long as you turn your head to breath fresh air, your fine.

Somebody has determined it and it's somewhere in this wealth of information on ECF. I know if it was 300 degrees, I couldn't get near my PV.
    No, that is not a Provari in my pocket. So guess what that means!

PV Master ECF Veteran

Here is a post about VG decomposing to acrolein at 280 degrees. It was related to defective cartomizers and atomizers, but some good info. Look back further because he talks about it a few times.

the Vmod

Be careful dry burning your atomizers if they have VG remnants on them.
    Last edited by juicejunky; 01-28-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Well this is on ingestion and not inhalation but, you might find this interesting.

"Glycerol has very low toxicity when ingested; its LD50 oral dose for rats is 12600 mg/kg and 8700 mg/kg for mice." So it takes 12600mg per kg to kill a rat on average. I think the average weight for a human is somewhere around 65kg so it would take.. 819,000mg to kill on average if ingested at 100% purity if we were rats.

IIRC the typical "cartridge" contains about 1000mg or 1ml of liquid which is divided up between the different ingredients. You first need to figure out the actually concentration of VG in the juice, flavorings, nicotine, etc. Its definitely less than 1000mg of VG. So if you vaped 819 carts a day you could in the most extremely flawed and inaccurate theory be killed, but then again you aren't a Rat and you process glycerol better than one.

That was just taken from the Wiki and a bit of math... here is what I'm reading currently...

Glycerite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Current ADVs: Reo Grand w/Hornet rba @0.8ohm & Precise+ w/DID @0.6ohm sucking down BlackVelvetEjuice!
    Come Join us in
    ECF Live Chat!

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Sorry for a double post but I cannot continue my post as it keeps wanting to make it a link..

Example of the uses of Vegetable Glycerin...

WholesaleSupplementStore.com - Echinacea Glycerite
    Stevia Liquid Extract Glycerite Alcohol Free

And last from that very site you linked...

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...ils/Categories

So keep in mind they put "Do not let your child play with this" warning labels on plastic bags and take MSDS as a worst case scenario guide intended to give rescuers information just in case there really is a big enough idiot on the planet to find a way to pull off the unthinkable. Mainly you want to read the part that Charlz mentioned for actual risks and keep in mind that companies are out to cover their own ...
    Current ADVs: Reo Grand w/Hornet rba @0.8ohm & Precise+ w/DID @0.6ohm sucking down BlackVelvetEjuice!
    Come Join us in
    ECF Live Chat!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast