Does Nicotine Constrict Blood Vessels? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Does Nicotine Constrict Blood Vessels?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by damselle View Post
    that is so weird, i was just thinking of the whole blood vessel thing this morning. been vaping steadily for a week and at night i get soooo cold! past two nights i had on, no exaggeration, warm pj's, two bathrobes, one with hoody over my head, socks, and down slippers. i have a down quilt to snuggle under when i watch tv and another to put over my shoulder that was also over my head. wood burning stove going in the basement all day. the night before last i came home late and the heat had been off. i added gloves to the mix. it's crazy! then i had a hot flash and i was ripping everything off fast!
    in the first few weeks after I quit smoking, I was cold all the time. I think it's just one of the many unpleasant things you experience while detoxing from cigarettes.
    Smoke-free since Oct '09 thanks to ecigs!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jwbaccaro View Post
    First I want to say that I am a new vapor user and I love my Hoosier e-cig, especially the pumpkin spice, liquorish and cinnamon flavors!

My question is, I like the nicotine fix, but, how bad is nicotine for you, in truth? I heard it constricts blood vessels. But I also heard your body breaks nicotine down into a similar chemical found in anti-depressant meds.

Any of this true?

And nice to meet you!
    If your already a smoker it doesnt matter about blood vessel issues, your doing more damage by smoking tobacco. Vaping can only make things better. If your not a smoker and just wanted to try vaping I would say stay away from the nicotine juice and you have nothing to worry about. Either way its a win win.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Nicotine constricts blood vessels. Yep.

The real question is what are the health effects of long term nicotine use. We don't know. There's a lot of long term data on smoking tobacco products, but none really on nicotine by itself. That's that.

Then, there's two messages out there that get me a little angry:

1. Nicotine is bad for you because one drop of 100% nicotine on you skin will kill you. This is utter nonsense, the effects of a substance vary greatly with dose and rate of administration.

2. Nicotine constricts blood vessels in the nose when placed on the mucosa (fact), nicotine raises blood pressure a little for a short time when taken in the amounts found in a cigarette (fact); smoking tobacco is linked with increased risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular problems (fact). Therefore, nicotine is bad for you (non-fact). This is a bait&switch kind of thing - there's no proven link between the effect of nicotine on short term and the long term effect of the tobacco, whereas other dozens of substances in the smoke are clearly linked.

The FDA is doing its work as if their hypothesis that nicotine is bad has been proven. Nicotine is really bad because it helps getting you hooked to burning tobacco, but it's not clear that it is otherwise.

But, then, they say - maybe we should ban it until it's proven safe. Well, it doesn't work that way - no new product is held to such high standard. Every day, hundreds of products that may be dangerous, including FDA approved medications, hit the shelves and are given the benefit of the doubt until there is some evidence that they are harmful.

On the other hand, my newest pet peeve is that products such as these and these which will definitely kill you, are not treated with sufficient skepticism and in fact are subsidized by the federal government.

Vaping Helios juices on my iHybrids

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Ohhh, those donuts look good!!! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12