Does Nicotine Constrict Blood Vessels?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Does Nicotine Constrict Blood Vessels?

Default Does Nicotine Constrict Blood Vessels?

First I want to say that I am a new vapor user and I love my Hoosier e-cig, especially the pumpkin spice, liquorish and cinnamon flavors!

My question is, I like the nicotine fix, but, how bad is nicotine for you, in truth? I heard it constricts blood vessels. But I also heard your body breaks nicotine down into a similar chemical found in anti-depressant meds.

Any of this true?

And nice to meet you!
    Warren D. Lockaby likes this.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Yes. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor

Super Member ECF Veteran Forkeh's Avatar

Yeah it does, but so do all stimulants, like caffeine. Moderation is the key. Poison is dependent on dosage. Too much or too little of anything can kill you.

Also, there's been a little research that presents the idea that nicotine may also promote the growth of blood vessels, so who knows if it's really bad for you? It's just a thing. Even found in some healthy foods, in very small doses. There's not a whole lot of research either way. But you don't see ecig users dropping like flies, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.
    Warren D. Lockaby likes this.

Nicotine constricts blood vessels, causing blood pressure to rise. Most antidepressants do this as well. Over the years this can cause plaque buildup in blood vessels, potentially leading to heart disease or stroke. Note that I used the word 'potentially'. People are like atomizers, some burnout more quickly than others.

CES
    optimistic cynic Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

the anti depressants you may be thinking of are monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). They're present in cigarette smoke (along with a few thousand other chemicals). They're not a breakdown product of nicotine, and aren't present in the vapor from e-eigs

Super Member ECF Veteran

Personally I've pretty well come to terms with the fact it's unlikely I'll get out of here alive. I've even given up on any hope I might ever have had of living to be a hundred & three & being killed by a jealous husband. But there's one hope I still hang onto dearly, and it's very close to my heart: I want to avoid dying from something that wasn't any darn fun to begin with. Man, that would just annoy the dickens outta me! If I could just O.D. on chocolate or something, now that'd suit me just fine!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

that is so weird, i was just thinking of the whole blood vessel thing this morning. been vaping steadily for a week and at night i get soooo cold! past two nights i had on, no exaggeration, warm pj's, two bathrobes, one with hoody over my head, socks, and down slippers. i have a down quilt to snuggle under when i watch tv and another to put over my shoulder that was also over my head. wood burning stove going in the basement all day. the night before last i came home late and the heat had been off. i added gloves to the mix. it's crazy! then i had a hot flash and i was ripping everything off fast!

all that being said, this will not kill you, unless perhaps you have uncontrolled BP problems d/t vessel issues....really. there are many things that constrict blood vessels, so i don't think that would be a concern with even chain vaping. now if you ingested a large concentration of nicotine, that may kill you. but so will a lot of things when not done in moderation.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Sounds like you need to come and vape in Georgia. 72 degrees tomorrow!
    damselle likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Spend a few extra bucks, 77 and sunny in southwest Florida today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast