Sore throat!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sore throat!

Default Sore throat!

Hi Everyone

I bought my first ever e-cig this week and I have found it to be excellent. Haven't had a cigarette since Tuesday morning. But I have a hellish sore throat that started yesterday which is worse during the night. Also have a hacking cough which I didn't have when I smoked! I don't even fancy a real fag, but can't continue with the e-cig if it gives me a sore throat and cough! Any helpful advice?

(Sorry if this has been brought up umpteen times before, I did a trawl through to see if it had but couldn't find anything.)

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

This is pretty normal for most people "making the switch" you kicked a bad habit that had around 4,000 chemicals in it. Gonna take some time to get rid of all that junk in your lungs

Other then that your not used to vapor. I dunno what mg nic you are using but that could have a little something to do with it too. Are you drawing the vapor into your mouth then inhaling it or just straight inhaling into your lungs? try a mouth draw then inhale. Way less harsh. These are all "short term issues" when starting and prolly one of the biggest Q's asked by new vapors. Good luck and welcome to the forums

EDIT* Drink plenty of water too. That will help the sore throat a bit. Trust me it goes away in time. Congrats on kickin the habit
    Last edited by Coil; 03-03-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    DietSalem and Bb177 like this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I unfortunately can't really offer any advice off the top of my head, but was curious about what your setup is and what/how you are vaping? Might also be helpful for others reading that might be able to give some good input.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Congrats on quitting!! Your sore throat can be caused by two things. The fist thing is you need to be sure you are drinking a lot of water, the ingredient pg in the liquid will dry you out a lot. Not only will the water help your sore throat it has cured the headaches I was getting when I began vaping. The second cause is the same as your cough, you coughing could also be why your throat is sore. The coughing you are experiencing is your lungs being cleaned out from the years of chemical abuse your analogs caused. Even tho you are inhaling and exhaling what looks to be a similar product, it's vastly different and your lungs are not used to it, liked they are to the smoke. In my case the coughing lasted about a week and a half, most say it lasts about 2 weeks, but may take a bit longer. Trust me when I say this will pass, just like your coughing passed when you started smoking analogs for the first time.The coughing will be a small price to "pay" when you can finally take deep breaths of fresh air again!! If after a few weeks the problems don't stop, I would revisit the issue, and look into another reason, which could be you are allergic to the pg in your ejuice (a few people are). Again I would like to say congratulations on quitting, and if you have any more questions please ask. Oh and Welcome to the ECF!!

Damnit coil y u so fast?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

^ haha fast fingers

Super Member ECF Veteran DietSalem's Avatar

I'll mirror the "drink lots of water".
    Coil likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran LucentShadow's Avatar

What type of liquid are you vaping? You may well benefit from trying a liquid that has a larger percentage of VG in it, or even as close to 100% VG as possible.

Some people are sensitive to PG. I am one of those, and it give me those symptoms if I have more than 20% or so PG in my liquid. VG generally irritates everyone less than PG.

Everyone will say drink plenty of water, for good reason, too. Vaping is dehydrating. Maybe some throat soothing drinks would help in the short-term.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have to agree with everyone about PG being harsher and more drying for most people than VG. Also the nicotine level affects me, the higher the amount of nic the more likely I am to have a sore throat and a cough. But maybe that's just me.
    And take everyone's advice to drink lots of fluids, too.

But also, welcome to the forum and congratulations on finding a place where we can collectively try to help you keep on vaping instead of smoking. It really does pay off!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Welcome to the forum,hard candy and dring a lot of water should help.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

A sore throat isn't uncommon. Don't know about the cough though. Does it let up through the daytime? You might have something that is referred too as smoker's flu but you have the lighter symptoms. Some people get sick when they quit smoking. It's your bodies way of a withdrawal. Drink tons of water and you might want to purchase eliquid in a higher VG ratio and lower mg nicotine content.

You can also read through this thread....http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...oking/...after you get 5 non-spammed post (basically chat a bit with us) you can post in there.
    MOD HOARDER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast