How bad is nicotine really for you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How bad is nicotine really for you?

Full Member ECF Veteran

Default How bad is nicotine really for you?

I heard that nicotine alone is much like caffeine...pretty addictive but not that harmful. Is this true??

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

In small amounts it's actually good for you. Like the one glass of wine method.

Vaping Queen ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

There is actually some foods that have nicotine in them, like tomatoes....maybe that's why I love tomatoes! lol!
    But in large quantities, anything is bad for you.

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

It's said that nicotine is about as bad for you as caffeine. Both have positive and negative attributes, but none are serious health risks. Nicotine patches are prescribed to help memory and other ailments such as Alzheimer's disease and dementia.

Researchers Light Up for Nicotine, the Wonder Drug

Tobacco has other addictive chemicals than nicotine. One is MAOI's (Monoamine oxidase inhibitors) that make you feel satisfied.

This is your brain on nicotine

OTOH, ecigs don't have any of these chemicals that ARE found in cigarettes.

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/whatsinit.htm
    Perhaps this list of ingredients that are found in cigarettes is enough to make you want to quit smoking for good!

There are more than 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco. Common additives include yeast, wine, caffeine, beeswax and chocolate. Here are some other ingredients:

Ammonia: Household cleaner
    Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
    Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
    Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
    Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
    Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
    Cadmium: Used in batteries
    Cyanide: Deadly poison
    DDT: A banned insecticide
    Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
    Lead: Poisonous in high doses
    Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
    Methoprene: Insecticide
    Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
    Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
    Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
    Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
    Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

Full Member Verified Member

Nicotine is relatively harmless in small quantities, and actually has some mental health benefits for people with psychosis, but in large quantities it's fatal

Full Member Verified Member milly's Avatar

I never knew abt this...very good info

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I didn't know about the alzheimers and psychosis parts either. Good to know!

The MAOIs found in tobacco tar are absent from nicotine e-liquid. Some of the substances can have a profound effect on the mood of some individuals, much more so then nicotine.

Nicotine is not that bad in moderation. Like they say, all things in moderation. However, nicotine will slow the body's ability to repair tissues because it constricts blood vessels: limiting full blood flow. Surgeons will often strongly suggest patients quit smoking prior to surgery if the operation can be scheduled some weeks in advance. I know this for a fact. Like most boaters I'm at risk for skin cancer. Just can't avoid sunlight all of the time. I had a spot of skin cancer removed a couple of years ago. If I had quit smoking like the surgeon asked I would have healed faster and with less scarring.

I plan on going zero nic in due time.
    Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5. 22mm XL IBTanked. Smok single coil unpunched, no-flange 2.0Ω XL cartos. Unflavored DIY 95/5 VG/H2O 12mg nicotine with Xtreme Vaping nicotine base. Vaping since 11/19/2011. 35-year cigarette habit ended 4/22/2012.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Take it FWIW - the wiki article on nicotine is a good starting point:

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very toxic in larger doses - not altogether a benign plant but has both positive and negative effects psychologically and physically. In small, controlled doises - like vaping - probably not that harmful at all....but long-term effects are still being debated.

The many additives in cigarette tobacco, filters and paper are definitely scary! Since most good juice vendors use food-grade flavoring, and both PG and VG are GRAS (generally regarded as safe) I'm guessing vaping instead of smoking is not entirely risk-free (since it would obviously be better to inhale nothing but clean air into our lungs) but it's a huge improvement over smoking.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

That's the point the FDA and the others are missing: regardless of whether not nicotine is bad for you, e-cigarettes are definitely less harmful that regular cigarettes.
    bodrell and mekks like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast