E-Liquid. Dangerous?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: E-Liquid. Dangerous?

Default E-Liquid. Dangerous?

I am new to vaping. I’m wondering if there is anything to watch out for when purchasing E-juice / E-liquid. It seems like many american manufacturers think it important to have their product made in the US, and that chinese made liquid is inferior somehow. Or is this just a marketing gimmick?

The reason I ask is that I live in Norway, and I would rather not buy things from overseas if I don’t have to. Shipping is expensive.

Are there, in fact, "dangerous" liquids out there?

Edit: also, does anyone know exactly how nicotine is extracted from the tobacco plant?

Thanks. Sneak.
    Last edited by Sneak; 05-13-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I think that the biggest differences between US and China juices are the accuracy/variety of the flavors and the PG content: it can be 100% in many of the Chinese juices and that bothers some people who prefer a less harsh throat hit and more vapor. I think that most juices out there still have a Chinese-made nicotine base, though some US suppliers use specialized organic ingredients sourced from Europe (Virgin Vapor) and the US (Highbrow).

I personally like the taste of the US-made juices better than the Chinese ones because there's an epic fail when it comes to some of the Chinese flavors. In other words, some of the Dekang juices are revolting - but others are really quite good. If you can find a Dekang juice from China that you like, it will be more affordable, the quality is good, and you're all set.

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Hello again Sneak. Most liquids I have come across are made from food-grade ingredients. Most include propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine extract, artificial and natural flavors, colors and sweeteners. These ingredients have been approved for food use, although not all have been approved for inhalation use. Personally, this doesn't bother me because I vape an an alternative to cigarettes, which contain arsenic, formaldehyde, and 80+ known carcinogens. Whether or not they are "dangerous" is subjective, and everyone has to decide that for themselves.

That said, there are a few flavoring ingredients that some people choose to avoid because they are known irritants to the respiratory tract: diacetyl, acetoin and acetyl propionyl. I would definitely do a little research about these before you buy any e-liquids.

I cannot speak about Norwegian e-liquids as I have absolutely no experience with them, but I would suggest researching the juice maker and what they include in their juices.

And about the 'made in the US'... I do only use juices made in the US, but not because I feel like Chinese juices are inferior or not safe. When I purchase any product, I always try to purchase USA made products (when possible), not because they are superior, but to support my own country and economy, and provide income and jobs here. That's just my choice, and I don't look down on any other country's products.
    alex66 likes this.

Well, if you read the comments of many American vapers on ECF, since China had an issue with some bad pet food a few years back, all Chinese eliquid is dangerous and could cause you serious harm. And although no American eliquid (with the exception of one) is regulated in any way, by the mere fact that it is made in America, automatically makes it better and safer than any eliquid made in another country, especially China. There has also been tainted human food coming out of a few American food processing plants over the last 5 - 6 years. But some how that does not translate to eliquid made in America like tainted pet food in China translates to eliquid made in China.

When vaping was new to this country, the only option was Chinese eliquid. Many of the people who vaped back then are no longer on ECF. They have disappeared from this forum. Is there a connection? I don't know.

I guess you just need to do your due diligence.
    Sapphira likes this.

FYI, one of the very first vaping suppliers was Janty. I believe they are out of Sweden and have their main shipping centers in France. Many believe Janty makes some of the best blended eliquids in the vaping community and are of the highest quality. They were partial inventers of the famous RY4 flavor eliquid. Their RY4 and KNT flavor eliquids are considered two of the best. I would suggest you at least check them out as they are not too far from you:

Janty Europe - JANTY EUROPE (Worldwide)

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I think what you need to look for is that they use food-grade ingredients, not necessarily whether they're made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphira View Post
    Hello again Sneak. Most liquids I have come across are made from food-grade ingredients. Most include propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine extract, artificial and natural flavors, colors and sweeteners. These ingredients have been approved for food use, although not all have been approved for inhalation use. Personally, this doesn't bother me because I vape an an alternative to cigarettes, which contain arsenic, formaldehyde, and 80+ known carcinogens. Whether or not they are "dangerous" is subjective, and everyone has to decide that for themselves.

That said, there are a few flavoring ingredients that some people choose to avoid because they are known irritants to the respiratory tract: diacetyl, acetoin and acetyl propionyl. I would definitely do a little research about these before you buy any e-liquids.

I cannot speak about Norwegian e-liquids as I have absolutely no experience with them, but I would suggest researching the juice maker and what they include in their juices.

And about the 'made in the US'... I do only use juices made in the US, but not because I feel like Chinese juices are inferior or not safe. When I purchase any product, I always try to purchase USA made products (when possible), not because they are superior, but to support my own country and economy, and provide income and jobs here. That's just my choice, and I don't look down on any other country's products.
    E-liquid is illegal to sell in Norway. And impossible to make. Therefore I must buy online.

Can you tell me more about the flavorings and sweeteners? I am interested to find out what substances are in the liquids, especially the sweeteners, due to certain food allergies. I imagine it is some kind of artificial sweeteners? Xylitol? Aspartame?
    I also find it odd that these things lend themselves to evaporation. Thoughts?

And another thing, do you know how they extract nicotine from tobacco? I heard its from the plant and not fake. Perhaps its similar to when they extract nicotine from aztec tobacco to make insecticides?

This is important for us to know.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by wv2win View Post
    Well, if you read the comments of many American vapers on ECF, since China had an issue with some bad pet food a few years back, all Chinese eliquid is dangerous and could cause you serious harm. And although no American eliquid (with the exception of one) is regulated in any way, by the mere fact that it is made in America, automatically makes it better and safer than any eliquid made in another country, especially China. There has also been tainted human food coming out of a few American food processing plants over the last 5 - 6 years. But some how that does not translate to eliquid made in America like tainted pet food in China translates to eliquid made in China.

When vaping was new to this country, the only option was Chinese eliquid. Many of the people who vaped back then are no longer on ECF. They have disappeared from this forum. Is there a connection? I don't know.

I guess you just need to do your due diligence.
    What I donít even...

Quote Originally Posted by wv2win View Post
    FYI, one of the very first vaping suppliers was Janty. I believe they are out of Sweden and have their main shipping centers in France. Many believe Janty makes some of the best blended eliquids in the vaping community and are of the highest quality. They were partial inventers of the famous RY4 flavor eliquid. Their RY4 and KNT flavor eliquids are considered two of the best. I would suggest you at least check them out as they are not too far from you:

Janty Europe - JANTY EUROPE (Worldwide)

Thanks for this. I have heard of this RY4 stuff. Now I know where it comes from.

Sneak.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post

Thanks for this. I have heard of this RY4 stuff. Now I know where it comes from.

Sneak.

I and quite a few others, prefer their "Classic" and "Elixir" lines of eliquid, Their Classic RY4 is the best, IMO. The KNT (Kent) is in their Elixir line. Both are light, smooth tobacco flavors with a slight hint of vanilla and caramel.

avoid any liquid with diacetyl,its extremelly dangerous.
    also acetoin and acetyl propionyl can produce diacetyl in your juice.
    all of them give a butter and cream taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast