Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Vaping & Bleeding Gums

Default Vaping & Bleeding Gums

Hi all,

6 weeks into vaping now and have all but stopped smoking cigarettes now ( just the occasional sneaky one when i'm out )

I've experienced the menthol mouth syndrome but also another possible side effect which is bleeding gums. has anyone else had this issue? Why I think it's related is that just when I stopped smoking and started vaping I went to the dentist who gave me a clean bill of health for both teeth and gums so just wondering whether the two could be connected. Hoping i'm wrong but always good to check.

Thanks
    FF

ECF Moderator
    Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Manager
    Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Supporting the Rules I agreed to when I joined this Forum

Hi Foofighter
    See if this helps you:
    Health, Safety and E-Smoking
    A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette
    also, if you use search in there, you will find several threads with good information.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

Bleeding gums is a known side effect of quitting smoking. Some dentists have determined this. It may also be a vitamin C deficiency as well. It should go away but if it persists even with the extra vitamin C, I would see your dentist about it if possible.
    Chrissie likes this.

http://vapevixen.tumblr.com/ Official Vaping Blog

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Hello & welcome Foofighter from another UK member

As you will find in the links Casswife has given you, bleeding gums is a symptom of giving up smoking & your dentists will confirm that.

ECF Veteran

Lol Frosting, hope you don't think I was ignoring your post, it wasn't there when I opened the thread

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

At my last dental cleaning (early March) I commented to the dentist that despite decades of smoking and sometimes lacksadaisical dental care, my gums never bleed at all. He told me smoking inhibits bleeding - so perhaps it's not the presence of vaping, but the absence of smoking, that is the culprit?

I'm not a dentist, don't play one on TV, so take what I say with a grain of salt but perhaps something to look into.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Since smoking reduces blood flow, you can have gum disease that doesn't show until your circulation improves (as will happen when you quit smoking). It's not that quitting smoking caused it, it's that it's more noticeable with better blood flow.

Bleeding gums is usually a sign of gum disease. I would say to use mouthwash if you don't and brush your tongue.

One other factor that is related to vaping is having a drier mouth - it affects the ph balance in your mouth to have less saliva and encourages germs. You could try chewing sugar free gum to keep saliva levels up and increase your water levels in general.

My references are my mother and two sisters who are dental nurses and don't let me hear the end of it
    bodrell likes this.

Thanks all, lots of good advice and links. Not too much to worry about but i'll keep an eye on things and maybe go back to the dentist if things don't clear up.

FF

ECF Veteran

Foo, one of the first people I recommended e-cigs to (coming up to 4 years ago) had bleeding gums so made an appointment with her private dentist. He just took one look in her mouth & said "well done on giving up smoking"

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

My gums started bleeding about 3-4 days after my last cigarette. As others have said, it could be giving up analogs that's causing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast