Positive effects of vaping vs smoking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Positive effects of vaping vs smoking

Full Member Verified Member

Default Positive effects of vaping vs smoking

Hello everyone. Three months ago I was a pack-a-day smoker. Started vaping and haven't touched a cig since. In those few weeks I noticed a few positive effects from vaping (other than the risks associated with inhaling smoke). First, my mood has been rather mellower more often. As I cut down on my nic intake (6-12mg on average), I seem to not get irratable as often as when I was smoking. That craving for a cig when I couldn't have one was usually the cause. Now if I feel my mood degrading, I just take a pull or two of vape and I'm good to go.
    Second, my wallet is relatively fatter. While the initial investment (ego starter kit for transport, and SB for home use) was high, it still was less than I spent on cigs in two months.
    And third, my sense of smell has increased. This is both positive and negative, as I now smell bad odors more easily
    Glad to have found this forum. I learned a wealth of info and you all have helped me make a wise decision to quit smoking.

subdude

Ultra Member ECF Veteran base234's Avatar

Welcome to ECF! I love reading success stories. Congrats on three months! If you get into DIY, your wallet is going to get even fatter.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by subdude View Post
    Hello everyone. Three months ago I was a pack-a-day smoker. Started vaping and haven't touched a cig since. In those few weeks I noticed a few positive effects from vaping (other than the risks associated with inhaling smoke). First, my mood has been rather mellower more often. As I cut down on my nic intake (6-12mg on average), I seem to not get irratable as often as when I was smoking. That craving for a cig when I couldn't have one was usually the cause. Now if I feel my mood degrading, I just take a pull or two of vape and I'm good to go.
    Second, my wallet is relatively fatter. While the initial investment (ego starter kit for transport, and SB for home use) was high, it still was less than I spent on cigs in two months.
    And third, my sense of smell has increased. This is both positive and negative, as I now smell bad odors more easily
    Glad to have found this forum. I learned a wealth of info and you all have helped me make a wise decision to quit smoking.

subdude
    Doing laundry is where I've noticed it. I live on the 2nd floor, and my laundry room is in a separate building. Towards the end of my smoking days, I would get winded carrying a laundry basket upstairs. At 36 that's not good. No winded feeling now, and I'm only 6 weeks in. As for fiscal? I'm still a tad in the hole, but slowly coming up. If you don't count juice purchases I'm already ahead, but I tend to keep those in the math, since they're still part of vaping.

I have broken even, but I've stopped keeping track of spending
    itazte MVP | SS ZMax | Black VTube | Black VariStack | Black 650mah Twist

Thanks. I was amazed at how easy it was for me to switch. Tried quittting many time over 30 years and never could do it. Who knows, someday I may cut out the nic completely (but I may still vape as I really enjoy it).

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
    Doing laundry is where I've noticed it. I live on the 2nd floor, and my laundry room is in a separate building. Towards the end of my smoking days, I would get winded carrying a laundry basket upstairs. At 36 that's not good. No winded feeling now, and I'm only 6 weeks in. As for fiscal? I'm still a tad in the hole, but slowly coming up. If you don't count juice purchases I'm already ahead, but I tend to keep those in the math, since they're still part of vaping.
    Another positive. My laundry room is three stories down and I definitely noticed I'm not winded as much. In fact, I'm thinking of buying a bike for exercise (something that I would not have done a few months ago).

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by subdude View Post
    Thanks. I was amazed at how easy it was for me to switch. Tried quittting many time over 30 years and never could do it. Who knows, someday I may cut out the nic completely (but I may still vape as I really enjoy it).
    I made the switch easy as well. After getting my first kit and trying it out, I came home quickly before work, sat outside and had one more cigarette. Telling myself "I found something better, that tastes better, but still has that flavor." I only did a tobacco flavor for about 2 weeks before getting flavor hooked. I am looking forward to the wallet thing tho ... since if I've done my math right, I'll be able to afford a nice little vacation to Key West in late August, and that's good for the mental health. And since I am breathing easier, my plan of learning SCUBA diving should be easier on me.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The first disposable I bought got me hooked, I went home and bought a Volt, and haven't touched an analog since

I've noticed I taste and smell better, I just feel better over all, I breathe better and can actually breathe out my nose!!(While on analogs I was constantly congested, I still dont know why)

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I was a 33 year 1.5PAD smoker, diagnosed with COPD. I was taking Advair daily and needed an asthma inhaler 2-3 times a day when it was bad. Since starting vaping, I'm off Advair and haven't used an inhaler even once. On top of that I can taste more, smell more, my car doesn't stink and my wife/kids are proud of me (which really feels good). I took the dog for a walk the other day and was at the normal cross road where I'd usually take a left straight home and instead took a right and happily and easily kept going for another mile (no wheezing at all, could've kept going but my big giant dopey dog called "BS" on the whole thing so we went home). All-in-all, happier and healthier...
    Carto-Miser and klstreet like this.

All knowledge, when separated from justice and virtue, is seen to be cunning and not wisdom - Plato
    Let men be wise by instinct if they can, but when this fails be wise by good advice - Sophocles

I hear ya! I am nowhere near as congested as I used to be. I have 5 months under my belt now. My husband loves that I don't smell like an ashtray, and my fingers are no longer yellow!

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Wizard View Post
    I was a 33 year 1.5PAD smoker, diagnosed with COPD. I was taking Advair daily and needed an asthma inhaler 2-3 times a day when it was bad. Since starting vaping, I'm off Advair and haven't used an inhaler even once. On top of that I can taste more, smell more, my car doesn't stink and my wife/kids are proud of me (which really feels good). I took the dog for a walk the other day and was at the normal cross road where I'd usually take a left straight home and instead took a right and happily and easily kept going for another mile (no wheezing at all, could've kept going but my big giant dopey dog called "BS" on the whole thing so we went home). All-in-all, happier and healthier...
    Sadly my car still has some odor. It's not as bad as the first couple of weeks after I switched. By about day 2, I got into my car on a warm afternoon, and gagged. That evening I bought some OdorBan from the grocery store and used almost 1/4th of the bottle spraying everywhere ... the headliner ... don't forget the headliner if you're using OdorBan or Freebreez or the like. Our smoke wafted upwards a lot so the smell would really get into there.

I need to get walking more, or probably invest in a bike. When I was younger I used to bike *everywhere*, heh, even while smoking. But at 16 and 17, I was invincible and had only been smoking for a couple years at that point. We have some amazing bike trails here in Central FL, so I really wanna get back into riding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast