Am I vaping more than I used to smoke?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Am I vaping more than I used to smoke?

Full Member ECF Veteran

Default Am I vaping more than I used to smoke?

I used to smoke around 7 cigs a day between 6 and 10mg of nicotine depending on brand. I am now vaping 18mg e-juice and having to refill my mini e-cig about 4 times a day. The inside cartridge is smaller than a car's dust cap so I'm not sure how much I'm putting in although at a guess, it would be something like 1 - 2ml

Am I vaping more than I used to smoke? What is the chance of overdosing on nicotine?

Thanks,
    Chiller.

Almost everyone who vapes does so more than they smoked and the rule of thumb on these boards when it comes to worries of overdosing it to listen to you body. I had it happen once after I chain vaped for hooours, I became really lightheaded and dizzy, bad nausea, yadda yadda. I just sat down and let it pass over me. So vape to your hearts content and if you start feeling like you're full of nicotine take it easy for a bit but at 18mg you should be able to manage rather easily. I think I was puffin 24mg when I got sick.

ECF Wiki SysOp Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

+1 to KarlH007

You'll know when you're overdoing it.

For reference, most vapers seem to go through around 2mL of liquid a day - depends on the nic strength of the liquid.

Bear in mind that 1)you are ahead by not burning tobacco and inhaling all the smoke - vaping is, by far, much 'cleaner' and 2)the amount of nic delivered by vaping seems to be less than by conventional smoking, probably why most people seem to vape more than they smoke.
    DIY juicer@24mg, DCT tank+Resurrector 1.7Ώ cartos, Kanger Pro-II, iClear 30s,Vamo, Itazte VTR

Full Member Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by KarlH007 View Post
    Almost everyone who vapes does so more than they smoked and the rule of thumb on these boards when it comes to worries of overdosing it to listen to you body. I had it happen once after I chain vaped for hooours, I became really lightheaded and dizzy, bad nausea, yadda yadda. I just sat down and let it pass over me. So vape to your hearts content and if you start feeling like you're full of nicotine take it easy for a bit but at 18mg you should be able to manage rather easily. I think I was puffin 24mg when I got sick.
    Agreed. Cigars were absolutely no different. There's a lot of nicotine in some cigars. You could easily get light headed, a head ache, nausea... Your body will tell you to slow down. It should be a concern though, how much you're vaping. I try to keep an eye it, limit myself to certain occasions. Like all day at work.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

KL,Malaysia / Baltimore,MD / Lelystad, NL

Don't worry you will reduce eventually. I remember when my first vaping i can finish a 10ml in 2 days.. . Now 3ml a day for me depends on my stress of work..

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I suppose there is one thing you could try to bring your vaping time down; it is mentioned on here that for the most part the nicotine in vaping is absorbed through your mucus membranes in your nose and your mouth, not your lungs. If you were to draw into your mouth, inhale and then exhale through your nose you might increase nicotine absorption. I do it and never feel like I am lacking in nicotine delivery.

P.s. using 24 at first and now 18mg.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

As a new vaper I am finding myself regularly taking a draw off my ecig @18 every few minutes. A roundabout guess is I'm smoking around the same, on a "drags per day" basis. Now it's just spread out over the entire day instead of several dedicated blocks of 5 minute breaks followed by 45 minutes of nothing.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I am also new to vaping and vaping more than I smoked. I was a 15 cig a day smoker but I'm vaping anywhere from 2ml a day on weekdays to 4ml on weekend days at 18mg strength. The only time I have felt sick was last night. I had improperly overfilled a blank carto and when I took my first drag I got a mouth full of liquid! Won't be doing that again.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Chillerhippie View Post
    I used to smoke around 7 cigs a day between 6 and 10mg of nicotine depending on brand.
    6-10mg per day based on 7 cigs sounds reasonable. Nicotine, Tar, and CO Content of Regular Cigarette Brands

It is a fact that e-cigarettes deliver nicotine less efficiently than traditional cigarettes: E-cigarettes deliver almost no nicotine. | Freedom From Smoking | Healthline

If you feel symptoms of an overdose, Nicotine poisoning: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia Call a doctor immediately!

However, it is unlikely you would overdose from nicotine as your body has a tendency to tell you when you've had enough.
    Just ask the thousands of PV users here on ECF Some vape 0mg juice, and some are on higher concentrations such as 36gm/ml with no ill effects. I think it all boils down to your personal tolerance and "need" for nicotine. If your 18mg/ml juice is satisfying you then I believe you are safe. I am, however, not a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillerhippie View Post
    Am I vaping more than I used to smoke?
    In my opinion, it is reasonable to conclude that you are not consuming more nicotine with vaping than you did previously with smoking.

ETA: I am recently vaping a quantity of 5-6ml of e-juice per day at an average of 11mg/ml nicotine. I just stepped down from 16mg/ml strength at a quantity of 3-4 ml per day.
    Last edited by dgm76513; 06-27-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Full Member ECF Veteran

I like to do the in though the mouth and out though the nose thing so I guess I am getting the maximum amount of nicotine per draw. I might get a lower strength e-liquid next time, 8mg might be better as I am sat here and my head is feeling a bit heavy around my temples lol

I might be vaping so much simply because I am "new" to it and like a kid with a new toy, I cant put it down, especially since the e-juice tastes nice!
    element77 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast