What am I doing wrong? Disgustingly harsh vapes..
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What am I doing wrong? Disgustingly harsh vapes..

Default What am I doing wrong? Disgustingly harsh vapes..

So I started vaping last week after a not so impressed experience with e-cigs years ago. This time I got an ego-c starter kit with their tanks and attys. I also got 4 flavors from the vendor which were all 50/50 PG/VG. They all tasted somewhat like what they claimed, though I didn't enjoy them much save for one: Hot cinnamon. Made me completely quit smoking.

However, I believed that there must be better flavors out there especially that that vendor is not so popular here, also I got frustrated with the tanks leaking all the time so I also order a few cartomizers, going for LR and DC things since people hyped them in addition to an ego twist.

I ordered SMOK's black dual coil
    Boge LR
    Vision DC LR

I also orderer a few eliquids from AVE and Biscotti from vapor cast. I tried 3 on both the twist (3.2V) and my regular ego-c:

Boba's Bounty on SMOK
    Biscotti on Boge
    Blueberry cheesecake on Vision DC LR

They all tasted like one thing: very harsh, disgusting burnt bacon that made me choke and cough nonstop. So I thought it maybe something to do with voltage and resistance. I tried the cinnamon on the tank cart with higher voltage and it still tasted as good (best at 4V). Sadly I dont have anymore of it to try it on the new cartos I got.

The way I feel is by tilting the carto and spinning it and dropping drops to the sides until I get the filler material saturated. Maybe it has something to do with my filling method? the fact they're 100% VG? LR Cartos? I've been a heavy smoker and I've tried the heaviest and cheapest cigs out there as well some of the higher quality brand and I cant possibly see anyone enjoying the flavors I experienced today. I cant even get that awful taste out of my mouth.

Please help me...I must be doing something wrong. And if not, then maybe I should stick to 50/50 hot cinnamon from the digital cig or it's likes. I did not like the other three 50/50 ones but they were pleasant in a way and vape-able at least.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

From my (admittedly limited) understanding, 100% VG mixes are pretty thick liquids. Also, from my understanding, 100% VG mixes can be difficult in a lot of Cartos.

Were you vaping the LR Cartos at a high voltage? I'd try turning it down if you did. Have you tried filling them with a little bit more liquid? The first time I filled a Carto, I didn't get nearly enough liquid in there and got a horrible, horrible burning taste that almost made me throw away my Ego-C Twist right then and there. Luckily, I settled down and just added some more liquid into the cartos and let them sit for a couple minutes. Voila! My problem was solved.

Hopefully someone can give you a little more information on 100% VG juices though; I haven't had any of those yet. Mine are all 80/20 PG/VG mixes. My next order will probably be 50/50 though.

Full Member*

I have been vaping steadily now for 6 months. I too had a mediocre experience with them a few years ago. I am not an expert, but Let's start with you cartomizor since that is usually the root of the harsh burnt flavor. Your battery has two settings that seldom get discussed.

On my eGo-T the on / off button should be a silver color. It sometimes goes gold after I have it in my pocket. The problem is when it is gold or amber the voltage is higher and it roasts the cartomizor. If this is the case turn your battery off and hold the button down for 15 secs. It should blink silver. Then turn it on and the voltage should be right.

If this is not the issue, then it could be the quality of the fluid. I don't order fluid online. I am lucky to have a few local shops that carry locally made fluids. If this is an option for you, I would recommend talking to a local dealer. I hope this was helpful. I would love to hear other suggestions from the members.

I have not even bothered to turn the voltage up with anything other than the 50/50 cinnamon I already liked, in my ego tank. And it was fine.

It could be the fact I didnt soak them enough with liquid and let them sit for a while. I tried the "condom method" but maybe I should keep it there for a while to absorb the liquid better. I doubt it's from the 100% VG since as far as I know harshness comes mostly from PG? and AVE liquids are quiet popular. They're 100% to 90/10 VG/PG

maybe 50/50 is the way to go for me and avoid LR all together. But I cant find many well received vendors that sell 50/50.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fontano View Post
    I have been vaping steadily now for 6 months. I too had a mediocre experience with them a few years ago. I am not an expert, but Let's start with you cartomizor since that is usually the root of the harsh burnt flavor. Your battery has two settings that seldom get discussed.

On my eGo-T the on / off button should be a silver color. It sometimes goes gold after I have it in my pocket. The problem is when it is gold or amber the voltage is higher and it roasts the cartomizor. If this is the case turn your battery off and hold the button down for 15 secs. It should blink silver. Then turn it on and the voltage should be right.

If this is not the issue, then it could be the quality of the fluid. I don't order fluid online. I am lucky to have a few local shops that carry locally made fluids. If this is an option for you, I would recommend talking to a local dealer. I hope this was helpful. I would love to hear other suggestions from the members.
    No I got no gold, it's white/silver. I haven't touched the voltage. I know some people do not order online. But I ordered from AVE which is according to many threads one of the best e-liquid suppliers out there and number 1 on many lists.

Full Member Verified Member Lickskitty's Avatar

It sounds like you might have burnt the new cartos that you are using with the new flavors that you ordered. I have had plenty of flavors that have tasted horrible but not burnt. If it taste burnt most likely the carto was not fully saturated the first time that you fired it. I had this burnt flavor a few times when I was first starting out. I found that it was because I wasn't getting the carto saturated enough before using it. I since have switched to using the condom method to fill mine. Take the longer piece of rubber that is on one of the ends of the carto. Remove all other rubber and plugs. Punch holes in it if you re using it for a tank. Take the longer rubber piece and fill it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full with liquid. Take the carto and push it into the rubber piece battery terminal side should be the side you put into the liquid filled rubber piece. This will force the liquid through the cartos filler. Once I get it all the way down, I slide it up and down just to make sure the liquid moves back and forth through the filler. You will see the liquid above the filler in the end you didn't insert into the rubber piece. Hope this helps!

Full Member Verified Member TN_Snoopy's Avatar

Another thing few discuss is steeping. Several flavors NEED it. Some longer than others. I have a few that needed 2 weeks before they were good. All flavors get better with steeping.
    Also, that "bacon" taste can be found if the juice has been hot or exposed to UV. If it sat in your mail box for a few hours before you picked it up, that can happen, especially with dark colored or tobacco flavors (but all can do it). This was a royal pain this summer when the heat was so bad.
    Personally I don't like Dual Coil carts (most do, I don't). I prefer single coil, as they produce better flavor and vapor IMHO. Dual coil seems to drain batteries, and the top coil will sometimes go dry in a tank, producing that harsh burnt flavor.

I use an EgoC Twist usually about 4 volts, with either a SmokTek tank and a SmokTek Single Coil 2.0 ohm cart, or 4.3 volts with a Vivi Nova with a 2.4 ohm head.

The SmokTek gives the best flavor.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

100% VG is the hardest juice to vape (as far as wicking is concerned,in all types of atties)

50/50 can possibly prevent you from chain vaping still,20VG/80PG will open it for you.

50/50 need a good wicking medium to work all the time,and cartos or eGo tanks are not it.

One thing can help you w/o ditching your juice,add some distilled water to it or vodka (we are talking mere drops here,start slow,1 drop or 2,check how thing clears up)

Hell,you can even add a lemon juice drop with a water drop or 2,might make your juice pop up even more

But that is DYI territory !

Moved On ECF Veteran

Lick is right... I just switched over from 808d cartos which rock and are awesome to crappy Boges which truly seem to suck--they have to sit for 12.5 days to saturate down to the bottom or it burns the filler.

Full Member Verified Member TN_Snoopy's Avatar

Boge is having problems.
    see: Taste Your Juice | BOGEGATE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast