New to vaping, too much throat hit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to vaping, too much throat hit.

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default New to vaping, too much throat hit.

I first tried vaping 3 weeks ago, KGO starter kit, and it went well, however I was just recovering from abdominal surgery, and it was not the best time to start, so I was vaping and smoking. Now that I am pretty well recovered, I find that the throat hit is just too much to take no matter what flavors I try. I cough every time, and that is not so good after my surgery. So far all my juices are from one source, no breakdown of VG/PG is given. I am 77, and have been smoking since I was 13, and would really like to get off the smokes, but if I can't vape without the congestion and coughing I don't think this is going to work. I have looked in at Backwoods brew, and Copper Creek and I can pick my own VG/PG ratio, but I don't have a clue as to what ratio might help. I now have a Provari and have tried lowering the voltage a bit, and am using both single and dual tanks, but so far it hasn't helped. any ideas about decreasing the throat hit (actually more like lung hit to me) would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

TH comes from Voltage, nicotine content and PG.

What mg nicotine are you using?

Maybe cut that down a little and the TH will be less. More VG in your juice will also lessen the TH.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'd switch to a vendor that gives you the ratios of the stuff theyre mixing. They'll obviously give you a nic content % as well.

Lowering the voltage on the provari might help a little, but at a certain point, you wont really be able to taste the liquid.

Im sure lowering the nic level would be your best best.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

First think I'd check is if you're inhaling like a cigarette or puffing. I had the same problem at first until I realized that you don't inhale an ecig like you would a cigarette. Try taking a pull into your mouth like you were puffing a cigar, then inhale it. It cools a bit and doesn't hit the back of your throat nearly as much.

The ironic thing is that most of the nicotine absorption occurs in your mouth tissues anyway! We inhale because we like the warm lung hit, but if you just puff and hold it you'll get a pretty good nicotine rush too. Good luck!
    Vaping since April 3, 2011 8:30am

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran Vapoor eyes er's Avatar

Juice Components
    Flavoring usually about 15%
    PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like
    VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
    Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
    Standards in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG. I vape 70/ 30 PG/ VG.
    TH is dependent on the PG which enhances TH and the nicotine/ mg level. You may also want to use a higher ohms cartomizer if you're getting too much TH. Lower res cartomizers (1.7- 2.0 ohms) give a warmer vape. Higher res cartos gives a cooler/ smoother vape.
    Realize also vaping dehydrates and can ruin the vape experience. The PG and VG traps the moisture in our throats and mouth and thus the vapor. I drink at least 1 1/2 liters water per day. More than 3 cups java can also add to the dehydration.
    Last edited by Vapoor eyes er; 08-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran glassmanoak's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate throat hit too. AND I love vapor.
    I use 80% vg when I drip and 60% vg when I use a tank. I use either pyrex or polypropylene tanks from Welcome to Valley View Vapes - Your Home for Quality Inexpensive Tanks and Vaping Supplies.
    I'm also a menthol addict, so I use a little coolada in my juice to reduce the menthol.
    I always vape at the lowest voltage that gives me the taste and vapor I'm seeking.
    Hope that helps

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind that while it's more common for there to be an allergic reaction (in a very tiny percentage of people) to PG...VG can frequently cause breathing issues with people who are susceptible. Not an "allergy" per se...but a sensitivity in the tissues to the VG. PG will enhance the TH and flavor while the VG helps produce more and thicker vapor. For a long time I avoided VG because it caused my sinuses to become irritated and I'd get a feeling of things getting coated in there...I was coughing all the time. But everyone is different. I've managed to work up to being able to use a 85/15 PGVG mix now without trouble...but then, I'm vaping very a very low 5mg juice. Higher nicotine levels can cause irritation and coughing, too. That "too much TH" feeling. My husband was trying to use e-cigs for months without much success because of the coughing. He was trying to use a 24 mg. juice...and was using a PV that ran around 4.2 volts. When we got him to go no higher than 18mg (usually around 12mg) and got a variable voltage battery so he could adjust his volts down as needed he stopped coughing and did much better. He usually vapes at around 3.8 now.
    Last edited by fourthrok; 08-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The resistance of the atomizer coil is also a factor. Voltage and resistance combinations equate to wattage, which equates to throat hit, flavor, and warmth in the vapor.

On a Provari, the best starting point is at 3 ohms and 3.7v. Some like it hotter and will crank the voltage as high as 5 volts. I'd start at 3.7v and move up and down to suit.

You can use 2 ohm cartos at 3.3v to 3.7v and get a good vape. Dual coils need lower voltage, also. You might want to try mixes of PG and VG as was said up topic. 70/30 pg/vg is a good starting point. Your tolerance for throat hit will adjust over time. There was a time when 100% PG killed my throat. Now, I vape 100% PG all day.

Remember when your first cigarettes burned your throat and sent you into a coughing fit?
    Last edited by DaveP; 08-20-2012 at 01:44 PM.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I totally applaud your efforts to quit smoking and use the e cig especially at the age of 77! You rock, Ron. My only advice since I am a newbie is that you hold the vapor in your mouth and then breathe in some into your lungs. Seems to help me on the cough thing.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I never had a problem with too much throat hit, but my aunt did. She switched to 50/50 pg/vg and it's working for her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast