vaping and diabetes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: vaping and diabetes?

Default vaping and diabetes?

A while back, we were talking about electronic cigarettes at work, specifically, the kind you buy at the local corner store. And one of my coworkers was saying that her husband can't use them because he's diabetic. Was wondering if there are setups, juices, etc that he could use that wouldn't affect his health.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Tell her that I've been a diabetic for over fifty years and it hasn't bothered me a bit. The only changes have been positive. If they are concerned about elevated blood sugars, then they could check them more frequently after they start vaping to determine if vaping might be a factor. If her husband is a cigarette smoker then he has bigger things that he needs to worry about. BTW, I have never used the mini-mart/gas station variety but I can't see where that would make a difference unless they were loaded with sugar.

Dreamer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I am diabetic and it hasn't really affected me. I am 47days analog free, so fairly new. My blood sugars are still running about the same. Boy do I feel better and breathe easier. I hope this helps.

Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

They do list diabetics and ecigs don't mix. A medical site I think. But that doesn't mean much.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

IMHO If your worried just start with tobacco flavors, they tend to be less sweet than the fruits.
    PAD 27y. 1st vape Feb2010. Last cig May2010. REO Grand w/kickstand, Nemesis clone, iTaste SVD, Krimson Krescendo,

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oxygen thief View Post
    They do list diabetics and ecigs don't mix. A medical site I think. But that doesn't mean much.
    Diabetic x 10+ years VERY insulin resistant; vaping heavily for 4 years.No effect on my diabeties and I feel Wonderful!
    dolphins35 likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

When I first tried vaping, I was using a menthal juice and my glucose spiked pretty good. Tried again with a non-menthal and no spiking occurred. My experience only - type II using one daily dose of insulin and oral metformin. Test, test, test to know for sure how it affects you!!!!
    four2109 likes this.

The Shortest Straw Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

One of the concerns with this is the veg glycerin, in its native form it is a type of carbohydrate. You can buy it in any health food store and eat it with a spoon, it is very sweet, and sometimes used as a sweetener in drinks and food products, I would imagine the fear is if ingested or absorbing too much from the vapor or juice, it could elevate the blood sugar, but personally i think the amount is too low to cause a serious reaction as even with a tank we are starting out with just a ml or 2 and spending a few hours vaping it receiving so little per drag it cant be enough to cause serious fluctuations.
    dolphins35 and opal like this.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

Diabetic and using an insulin pump because I'm so bad at being diabetic. From smoking to vaping - no contest. Ask any medical practitioner what they would rather I did. Smoking is bottom of the list, and vaping doesn't feature.

Senior Member ECF Veteran Shofixti's Avatar

I'm a 4 year diabetic. When I bought my first kit, it read that it is not recommended for diabetics. I think the nicotine in the eliquid hardens the arteries much like analogs which is a risk for diabetics, not to mention the sweeteners. I use sucralose in my DIY juice just to reduce risks.

No matter how I look at it, I would rather be vaping than smoking.
    dolphins35 likes this.
    The Gecko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast