Thread: Some n00b questions - cleaning clearomizers, burnt taste, etc.

Default Some n00b questions - cleaning clearomizers, burnt taste, etc.

Hey guys! Been analog-free for awhile now since trying SouthBeachSmoke, then GreenSmoke, and now using products from NHaler. I have an N300 iGo Crystal Clear kit from NHaler which has 2 manual batteries. I purchased some rebuildable crystal clear cartomizers and also bought about 10 of the wicks/coils that go with them.

My first question is about cleaning them. I bought a whole bunch of samples of the Octane USA-made line of e-liquids, trying to find my favorite flavors (so far clove is my fave, surprisingly). To clean them, I separate it into it's 3 pieces and rinse with warm soapy water then dry. But I still find that the odor of the previous flavor is still strong on the pieces, so I was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions regarding thorough cleaning. Also, can the wick/coil part be cleaned, allowed to dry and reused with a new flavor, or is it just too difficult to get the previous flavor out of the e-liquid soaked wick? Keep in mind that I am trying to find the best flavor for me, so purity of taste is imperative, and I don't mind wasting some wick/coils in the process. That also ties in with how clean I can get the cart itself because I want that pure taste of each individual e-liquid. And should I wear rubber surgical gloves while cleaning them as a precaution or is that overboard?

My second question is regarding the burnt taste I am getting. I used the non-rebuildable cartomizers that came with my kit, and they lasted flawlessly through the use of 2 entire sample bottles of e-liquid (6mL). Now I have the rebuildables, and I am finding that one of them is giving me a burnt taste from time to time, even though the wick is soaked. Does this mean it is bad and I should toss it? It's definitely gone through a decent break-in period and is still giving me the burnt taste often. It seemed to be a problem from the beginning, and I gave it ample time to soak before first using it.

Thanks for your help!

2. Advertisement
    Moved On Verified Member
    Blog Entries

To clean the wick and coil and probably the tank itself I would suggest pure unflavored PG and not soap and water. Likes dissolve likes.

4. Advertisement
    Full Member Verified Member

Hi!
    The burnt taste usually means that
    A: You're not getting enough e-juice to the heating coil, or
    B: The heating coil gets too hot
    I'm not familiar with the crystal clear rebuildables, so I can't give you any specific advice. The taste of the two alternatives are slightly different. A is usually a nasty metallic taste, while B is burnt version of the normal flavor of the juice. If A, you should look into the wicking, and make sure that you have good contact between the wick and the coil. If B, you could try to look for short circuits (see if the coil gets in contact with some metal where it's not supposed to).

Viking, thanks for the response. I am getting a nasty metallic taste, but I had had the same issue now with 3 different wick/coil combinations with this particular cartomizer. My other rebuildable cartomizer has been perfectly fine, so I am thinking the other one is defective. They asked me to send it back to them for testing.

Mike, I was able to get better results cleaning it by soaking it for awhile, so I am good on that now. Thanks for your response.

Moved On

I heard south beach kind of sucks........... maybe everyone can get a bad batch of carts? IDK

I just have one thing to say be careful! Don't just deal with it and keep vaping if u taste or feel this issue continuing. I just dealt with it cause it would come and go. Now I am getting over pneumonia and broncidus however it is spelled. Have a lung x-ray done and a scrape done and it is from the fluids that had built up in my atomizer and burnt up but no before bacteria built up from previous cleanings that never completely came clean. So be safe and buy new ones I the taste won't completely stop.