Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why are mechanical mods so expensive?

Full Member Verified Member

Default Why are mechanical mods so expensive?

Isn't their purpose to provide a connection from a battery to an atomizer by means of a button? Since the atomizer and battery are sold separately, aren't you basically paying for a button and some wiring? All those components are really cheap on their own. What am I missing? I want to buy a good mechanical mod because I like the idea that they avoid electronics which can be easily damaged, but I can't logically convince myself to pay $100+ for such a simple device.

Take the PrecisePlus for example. They sell blemished body's of it for $20, but the whole device costs over $100. How difficult could it be to find a button and complete the circuit to the atomizer?

Pastafarian Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Chances are you're not paying for wiring. Good mechanicals don't have them.

What you're paying for is the craftsmanship and the quality on something like a PrecisePlus and other high-end mechanicals, not just the raw materials.
    b0redagain, Baditude and 2coils like this.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

A lot of mechanical mods need to be precision engineered to strict standards to ensure proper function. At least thats what they say, maybe to drive up price and the feeling of being sort of exclusive. In my opinion anything DIY is cheaper if you are willing to put in the time.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran MorpheusPA's Avatar

Precise machining does cost money, and good steel and a good finish aren't cheap, either.

Not to mention a good, reliable button can easily be $7-$10 all by itself, if you want one that's built like a tank and can go through the Zombie Apocalypse and keep on vaping.

I could put one together really cheaply in my own workshop, but it would be tolerable-looking at best and the button's durability wouldn't be great. To make a good one would cost me quite a bit in simple materials.
    Baditude likes this.

My organic lawn care and gardening blog: http://thegreengreengrassofhome.blogspot.com

The Shortest Straw Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

yea, agreed. your paying for the craftsmanship, care and attention to detail as much as just a tube with a button.

but I can't logically convince myself to pay $100+ for such a simple device.
    then what your after is one of the more mass produced cheaper ones from china. there are a few coming out in the coming months that are made pretty nicely. im interested in the new smoktech "the natural"
    Last edited by Thrasher; 01-28-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The same reason that "audiophile" tube amplifiers based on 100 year old technology cost 10 times what a good Sony or Onkyo receiver do. You are paying for hand-craftmanship, precise, individually-made engineering, and overall luxury-level fit and finish.

Is the average vaper gonna see the difference between the performance of a GG and an Ody, versus a VAMO and a Phoenix? Probably not several hundred dollars difference. Then again, the average listener isn't going to hear several thousand dollars improvement over a Sony rig and a Krell rig in his stereo either.

High-end ANYTHING--mods, cars, CD players, fying pans, firearms, whatever--come at a premium price because they are individually-crafted precision instruments. And the level of performance they can give isn't something that everyone can appreciate, take advantage of, or even recognize.

If you have the dosh to drop on a $300 mod, and you want it, then GET IT.

If you don't, there are some under-$100 mods out there that will give you 95% of the performance of a GG, Provari, or Titanide. So don't sweat it!

Finding the inexpensive, well-made mods that satify your vaping needs is where the real skill is. Any schmuck with a fat wallet can drop 3 or 4 Benjies and get a GREAT mod. But it takes real resourcefullness and skill to put together a system for under $100 that vapes like a champ...
    Bud Man likes this.

eVic, Silver Bullet, AcryliMax Copperwood, RoughStack Shorty, AMP Tank, Terminator-C, Terminator RDAs, Octopus RDAs, Drunkers, Mini DID Clone, and a bunch of eGos and Vivi Novas...

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I was thinking about getting one of these. Like $52 shipped with 40% off coupon: 40PercentOffECF
    To low end? Seem pretty nice for the cash.
    New! The Natural (FLAT TOP) by Smoktech - Preorder
    Last edited by Herennow; 01-28-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I bought one of these. Not as beautiful, threads aren't as smooth, finish not as nice compared to the original, which I've only heard about or seen pics of. But it does what I need it to do, lets me vape my low ohm rebuildable atomizers without worrying about the electronics preventing the unit from firing.

http://www................../China-GG_p_149.html

the easiest way to put is like this. if the common man tried to build say a high end laptop(macbook for example, i hate macs but they are built well), itd probably cost him about 3x-4x as much as what he would pay at a shop. the reason its the price is it cause its made in mass, in a factory with machinary designed to do that one job. the output reduces cost pricing. there are still no massive factories churning out good quality mech mods, so its left to a handful of custom fabricators to make really high end mods. because of the the amount of R&D and resourcing, etc, a small group of people, sometimes only 1 maker has to go through the cost of making each high end mod goes up. thus we in turn as the consumer have to pay for. to be fair, the rarity of the item does keep it from losing value, heck in some cases it increases like the ihybrid. you buy it for 225 and can sell it tomorrow for 300+. like the ferrari enzo. RRP was 1 million. now worth close to 3 million.

and on the topic of quality, i was also very pessimistic about the cost price of these items until i had a play with some high end gear from a member, it is an ENTIRE different ball game. as soon as you have one in your hands you realise why it costs so much.

In my opinion, you're paying for what a person feels their craftsmanship is worth. I have a very nice 5v-regulated (which was done at a special request... the others don't have that) mechanical mod that a friend made. It was lathed out of 6061 aluminum, has the 510 connector, a <$2 regulator and a <$4 switch. Been a faithful mod for almost 10 months now. He charged me $25 for it.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion as far as what their skill is worth. Electricians, auto mechanics and many other skill trades do it. That's why people shop around when looking to do stuff like re-side their house or have an engine rebuilt; we want to find the deal that works for us and our wallet. Quality at a fair price can be had, if you're willing to do the research. Take your time and pull the trigger on something that you feel is a fair price.
    b0redagain, OR-DMBFAN and Bud Man like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast