Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Kanger Protank rebuild, 32 kanthal, silica wick and...?

Just ordered 2.5mm silica and came with 32g kanthal, I'll post results when shipment arrives

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Bird View Post
    Wraps of ribbon kanthal in that tiny area? I rebuild with 30 or 32 gauge kanthal and theres barely room. What is yours a 2 wrap?

BTW, in response to this thread I have found 3 mm cotton wick with 30 or 32 gauge kanthal an easy rebuild. With 32 gauge a 5/4 wrap....with 30 gauge a 4/3 wrap.
    Full on 4 wraps. Thats as many as my Gennies. I could probably make it 5 if i try, just no point though.
    Exclusive owner of clones
    I'm on tilt

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy5691 View Post
    D
    Can you show a pic of the materials used please. I'm really interested in the way you did this. I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to learn all that I can about these cleros. Right now I have 2 EVOD's and eventually, after rehab for my stroke, I'd like to start rebuilding them with some knowledge. Thanks.
    I ll try to remember to post some pics tmr. In my experience it was tougher than building Genesis style RBAs since its not designed to be rebuilt. Wires are hidden and you have very little wick to work with.

But it was worth it. The Protank looks great on my ChiChi and the vape is quite amazing.
    I'm on tilt

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I used #2 square braided cotton candle wick for the wick on my pro-tank. Flavor, air flow, and flooding all improved.

Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur!!

I want to be stereotyped. Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUVap View Post
    Read a post bout rebuild, great one from Face Meat, pretty funny too, thx btw, bout to order some silica wick and 32g kanthal, but now I'm reading about ceramic and mesh, whats this all about? Is this needed? Didnt notice any of this in other thread,

What are your rebuild materials for ProTank?

What works best for you? And what supplies are needed?
    I'm glad you liked it. I've never tried mesh, cotton, hemp, bamboo, ceramic or any of the other wick materials mentioned. Silica works well for me. It's inexpensive, easy to work with, non conductive, requires no boiling/pre-prep, reliable, durable, flavor-neutral, easy to clean and easy to dry-burn. Until I hear about another materials that improves upon these attributes of silica, I'll keep using silica.

As far as supplies are concerned, some needle-nose pliers, wire cutters/scissors and a sewing needle/paper clip are the only tools you'll need.

Senior Member Verified Member Vault's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy5691 View Post
    D
    Can you show a pic of the materials used please. I'm really interested in the way you did this. I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to learn all that I can about these cleros. Right now I have 2 EVOD's and eventually, after rehab for my stroke, I'd like to start rebuilding them with some knowledge. Thanks.
    Sorry to hear you`ve had a stroke and hope re-hab goes well. If your mobility in one hand is compromised as can happen, you may find it hard to manipulate the wire to make coils, it can be very fiddly and you need to have reasonable dexterity. I have excellent dexterity but still find it a very fiddly job, maybe this idea would help when you come to re-coiling atomiser heads.
    vape 001.jpg

Simple to make,or have made and makes wrapping coils easy, the screw is #4 unc commonly called 4-40 or for slightly closer coils a 6BA bolt works well (an English size and has 48 threads per inch as compared to the 4-40 which is a bit courser at 40 threads per inch).
    Wire can be either Kanthal awg32 (0.2mm) or for less ohms with the same amount of coils awg31 (0.23mm).
    Hope this helps.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Here it is folks, the things you need to rebuild eVod/ Protank heads with:

Ribbon kanthal, #500 SS mesh, a few strands of silica or cotton to be used as fillers, a lighter (my torch just ran out of gas), a plier, and a nail clipper used as wire cutter because why not.

Just finished rebuilding an eVod head:

Let me know if you guys would like a tutorial of sort. If enough people are interested I will either make a video or a guide with pictures.

Cheers,

-K
    Last edited by Kanj.nguyen; 04-30-2013 at 01:54 AM.
    I'm on tilt

You da man Kanj, so have visited other rebuilds and havent seen the mesh, any choice you could expand on that aspect? thx

Full Member Verified Member

I like to use cotton for my wicks

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I use mesh because i absolutely hate the idea of throwing out a burnt head. And also because im bringing a few eVod-eGo combos home for smoker friends as an intro to vaping. Im not in my home country 10 out of 12 months a year so i wanted something as hassle-free for them as possible. A steel wicked eVod seems perfect for that.

If more peole would like a tutorial i will make one, otherwise i ll just outline the process here for motuvap.
    I'm on tilt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast