Alcohol in e-juice
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BostLabs
  • 2 Post By Katya

Thread: Alcohol in e-juice

Default Alcohol in e-juice

So I've recently discovered a local shop adds alcohol to their e-juice. I haven't gone in to question them myself as to how much is added, or why. Anyone know if there is any benefit/detriment? Does it increase vapor production? Can it harm one's lungs?

Super Member Verified Member BostLabs's Avatar

From what I understand it increases the throat hit.

but it is a very small amount. I haven't tried it yet but I do have a few low nic eliquids that I may adjust a bit.

That's all I know of it. Now this next part is just my opinion. I think the alcohol doesn't make it to the lungs. It is absorbed, like the nicotine, in the mouth/throat. Like I said, my opinion. If I'm incorrect I'm sure someone will correct me.
    Vapoor eyes er likes this.

Smoke free. As free as the wind you see...

I can say that it does seem to increase throat hit, but my problem would be with milder flavored juices, such as butterscotch. It's not too noticeable in my strawberry lemonade, but I can definitely taste the alcohol in the butterscotch. Would the alcohol degrade the polyfill in a cartomizer? I'm not that savvy with chemical effects.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Alcohol is used often in eliquids--to dilute 100% VG (alcohol or distilled water works best) or to add flavor and TH. Some flavoring concentrates are alcohol based. I hate boozy ejuices, so when I detect alcohol, I leave the bottle open for a while in hope that the alcohol will evaporate. Those are minuscule amounts, though. I wouldn't worry about polyfill--cartomizers are disposable anyway. Besides, those who like to clean their cartos often soak them in vodka (for the record, I don't clean cartomizers myself--just throw them out after they have vaporized ~10 ml of ejuice, more if they are used in a tank).
    StormFinch and Ty76 like this.

Full Member Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katya View Post
    Alcohol is used often in eliquids--to dilute 100% VG (alcohol or distilled water works best) or to add flavor and TH. Some flavoring concentrates are alcohol based. I hate boozy ejuices, so when I detect alcohol, I leave the bottle open for a while in hope that the alcohol will evaporate. Those are minuscule amounts, though. I wouldn't worry about polyfill--cartomizers are disposable anyway. Besides, those who like to clean their cartos often soak them in vodka (for the record, I don't clean cartomizers myself--just throw them out after they have vaporized ~10 ml of ejuice, more if they are used in a tank).
    I agree. boozing the liquid just kills the flavor. I do the same thing actually, if I smell the alcohol is strong just let it sit a while open cap and let it evaporate. water is best but I recommend ordering a flavor shot or 2 in a liquid you need to thin. The alcohol definitely won't hurt your device but it will give a much harsher throat hit (I don't like). It won't get in your lungs because like when used in cooking, it looses it's properties once heated past a certain temp. that's why it's impossible to get drunk from vaping alcohol or eating pasta w/vodka sauce.

Super Member ECF Veteran vjdossey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

don't laugh if i am wrong but if i put my liquid in a super hot bowl of water (a small amount of water, maybe comes up half way) and leave lid off- will the alcohol evaporate faster? i did this with my classic tobacco and love the way it tastes now! any info is appreciated, ive only been vaping for a month!

Super Member ECF Veteran vjdossey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2beMe View Post
    I agree. boozing the liquid just kills the flavor. I do the same thing actually, if I smell the alcohol is strong just let it sit a while open cap and let it evaporate. water is best but I recommend ordering a flavor shot or 2 in a liquid you need to thin. The alcohol definitely won't hurt your device but it will give a much harsher throat hit (I don't like). It won't get in your lungs because like when used in cooking, it looses it's properties once heated past a certain temp. that's why it's impossible to get drunk from vaping alcohol or eating pasta w/vodka sauce.
    don't laugh if i am wrong but if i put my liquid in a super hot bowl of water (a small amount of water, maybe comes up half way) and leave lid off- will the alcohol evaporate faster? i did this with my classic tobacco and love the way it tastes now! any info is appreciated, ive only been vaping for a month!