Volts, ohms, wattage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Volts, ohms, wattage

Default Volts, ohms, wattage

Given the formula, (v x v) / o = w, what difference does it make if I am using a high voltage mod with a high ohm atomizer or a lower volt-lower ohm setup if I end up achieving the same roundabout power output?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I don't see any difference myself. The Olympics are in meters and Kilometers and I still enjoy it, they do the same thing and funny enough, make it to the finish line in the same time...
    Boyz-Mom likes this.
    Keep Calm and Vape On !

In my experience, it really depends on how you want to vape. Sometimes I want to vape like I would smoke a cig or cigar I use a higher ohm atty with a higher voltage setting and usually a higher nic juice. I will usually rebuild a VIVI nova with a higher ohm rating for this. But if I want to create huge clouds of vape which usually requires taking lung hits, I will use my mechanical mod with a really low ohm (around .5 ohm) RDA (i use and iGo-L). This type of coil gets hotter faster. Also, I will vape really low nicotine juice for this as it get really harsh for me to vape this way with any juice with more than 6mg nic. I will even mix 6mg juice with 0mg and it really brings out the flavor of the juice. I am constantly experimenting with different setups.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

If the lower resistance coil is made with more turns of wire, it has more surface area and will heat up and go into action faster.

Higher resistance and lower voltage should slightly increase battery life between charges.

But the key thing is to use the combination that provides the vape you want.

Because funny things seem to happen with low ohm builds, you get a warmer vape, very intense flavor (hopefully, a lot of this depends on the quality of materials and the build itself), and big clouds. Its true, your carto or clearo on a VV/VW device set to achieve X watts should theoretically taste and perform the same as an RBA set up to achieve the same, but many people build their RBA to go higher than most adjustable devices allow for, which pushes that envelope further.

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by OuchingMegaSpank View Post
    Given the formula, (v x v) / o = w, what difference does it make if I am using a high voltage mod with a high ohm atomizer or a lower volt-lower ohm setup if I end up achieving the same roundabout power output?
    If the Only Thing that made up a Hit or the Performance of a Atomizer Wire was Watts, then Yes, it wouldn't Matter what you used as long as the Watts was the Same.

But like most things, the Physical World Isn't Usually that Simple. Or dependent on a Single Factor.

Does having More Loops of an Atomizer Wire Change the Hit? Or the way a Wick Wicks? Or how Fast a Coil/Wick gets "Gunked" Up and needs to be Cleaned?

How about Less Loops?

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    If the Only Thing that made up a Hit or the Performance of a Atomizer Wire was Watts, then Yes, it wouldn't Matter what you used as long as the Watts was the Same.

But like most things, the Physical World Isn't Usually that Simple. Or dependent on a Single Factor.

Does having More Loops of an Atomizer Wire Change the Hit? Or the way a Wick Wicks? Or how Fast a Coil/Wick gets "Gunked" Up and needs to be Cleaned?

How about Less Loops?
    I appreciate this response. Thank you! Of course you are right. I am new to the Vapor (and enjoying it immensely) I think my interest is in a mechanical mod / rebuildable setup. I suppose I am not looking forward to having ohms be my only real way of adjusting. I have reasons other than performance for being interested in the more "primitive" way of vaping. I dont like shopping!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by OuchingMegaSpank View Post
    I appreciate this response. Thank you! Of course you are right. I am new to the Vapor (and enjoying it immensely) I think my interest is in a mechanical mod / rebuildable setup. I suppose I am not looking forward to having ohms be my only real way of adjusting. I have reasons other than performance for being interested in the more "primitive" way of vaping. I dont like shopping!
    When I first Started using an e-Cigarette, there was Only 2 Basic ways to change the Hit you got.

Changes the Ohms of you Atty. Or use 5 Volts.

Now VV is the Norm. So choice of ohms Isn't as Meaningful as it once was for Most People. But for the Mech-Mod people, it still is.

I think the Only way to approach Anything e-Cig is to read a Little about what Other People have to say and then sit down and do some Clinical Testing for Yourself.

I don't use RBA's but once in a Blue Moon. But when I first got into them, I bought a Bunch of Different Wire Sizes and Material Types and a Bunch of Different Silica Wick Configurations.

Then I made up Different Ohms, Number of Loops, Loops Spacing, Loop Tightness, Loop Looseness and Wick Size and Shape configurations. I made an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of all the Combinations.

It Didn't surprise me that some worked Better than others at the Same Watts for a Given e-Liquid. And that Different PG:VG Ratios and Flavors tasted Different for a given Coil/Wick setup.

The Main thing I learned was that sitting around winding Small Wire around a Wick wasn't for me.

But for Someone with Nimble Fingers, Good Eyes and some Time and Patience that a Coil Wick combination could be Found that Maximizes the Hit/Taste.

If you decide to get into RBA's do yourself a Favor. Take what Anyone says with a Grain of Salt and find what works for you. And Keep Good Records of what Works and What Doesn't work for you.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Maybe a carton of salt...

For ease of varying the experience, nothing simpler that a VV/VW device. No matter the coil / wick / top or bottom, easy to dial in what you like.
    zoiDman likes this.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidOck View Post
    Maybe a carton of salt...

For ease of varying the experience, nothing simpler that a VV/VW device. No matter the coil / wick / top or bottom, easy to dial in what you like.
    Yeah... You are Right.

What kinda blows my mind is that Some People Can't Fathom that what works for them Might Not work for Someone Else. And Visa Versa. And or that All e-Liquids don't have the same Viscosity.

When I read Posts about how This is Fantastic. Or how this Sucks. I kinda Mentally can hear the Salt Truck Backing Up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast