Kanger Protank(2) Coil Rebuild Question
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UncleChimney
  • 1 Post By gpjoe

Thread: Kanger Protank(2) Coil Rebuild Question

Default Kanger Protank(2) Coil Rebuild Question

The Kanger Protank(2) coil assembly consists of: Base, coil (Kanthal wire plus silica wick), rubber grommet, pin, cap, and washers. After a number of rebuilds (seems to be an average of five), the rubber grommet that holds the coil to the base is deteriorating with cuts that are caused by the wire and charring due to the coil heat. It seems a shame to throw the entire assembly away because of a worn out grommet. Does anyone know if just the grommet can be purchased?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Yes you can just get the grommets, hold on and let me see if I can find them for ya.

ECF Veteran

Here ya go....there is a review at the bottom that says he/she used them on their Protank, but it did require trimming. I do not know of one that is a direct fit, but I'm sure if you search eBay or even your local hardware store you'll be able to find a direct fit.
    madqatter likes this.

Thank you for the information
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleChimney View Post
    Here ya go....there is a review at the bottom that says he/she used them on their Protank, but it did require trimming. I do not know of one that is a direct fit, but I'm sure if you search eBay or even your local hardware store you'll be able to find a direct fit.

Full Member Verified Member

Funny I was just thinking the same thing when I ripped the insulator head off. If you purchase these let me know how they work. I hope kanger will sell the insulator as a part some time soon.

Super Member Verified Member gpjoe's Avatar

I just bought some of these for my Kanger coils. I haven't received them yet, so I can't say for sure if they will work as-is or need some sort of modification.

Anyway, if I can't get them to work it's really no big deal. I view rebuilding the coils like I do reloading ammunition. Some of the parts have a usable life before they need to be tossed - brass cases for example. Stuff just wears out. So if I can rebuild a coil even 5 times before I need to toss it and buy a new coil assembly, that's still a win.
    nova_did_it likes this.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Sitting down, facing forward, but that's not important right now.
    Blog Entries

If you want to extend the life of the rubber grommet consider using "zero" resistance wire on your coils for the leads. It keeps a lot of heat away from that grommet and keeps the heat where it's needed, in the coil itself.
    If it's not a Boerboel, it's just a dog.

I've purchased wire and wick from Lightning Vapes, they got some good quality stuff for rebuilding coils.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by gpjoe View Post
    I just bought some of these for my Kanger coils. I haven't received them yet, so I can't say for sure if they will work as-is or need some sort of modification.

Anyway, if I can't get them to work it's really no big deal. I view rebuilding the coils like I do reloading ammunition. Some of the parts have a usable life before they need to be tossed - brass cases for example. Stuff just wears out. So if I can rebuild a coil even 5 times before I need to toss it and buy a new coil assembly, that's still a win.
    The link isn't working for me......I am curious now to what you found.

Moody

Super Member Verified Member gpjoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moodyfisherman View Post
    The link isn't working for me......I am curious now to what you found.

Moody
    I found some rubber grommets from a seller on ebay. The link works for me, but you could try searching ebay for the seller "lightningvapes" or just search for "evod insulator". Hope that works for you.