Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Price of liquids

Default Price of liquids

Iīve been reading through this topic:
    What does your Local Vapor Store Charge for Juice?

It somewhat matches my experience, "normal" prices around $5 for 10ml.
    Of course there are extreme variations of this, like chinese liquids for 99 cents or (supposedly) high quality stuff for like $20, buying online is always cheaper than a local store, but no matter where you look, absolutely nothing comes remotely close to DIY.

I donīt even have to figure the resellers prices for the ingredients, if only I go by the small amounts a private end customer like me uses and add up the prices I pay for everything, I get to ridiculous low values for 10ml.
    Depending on nicotine content and type of flavouring it costs me between 10 and 30 cents to mix 10ml.
    Even if I take the most expensive flavourings, mix nicotine with 18mg/ml and add the price of empty bottles, I still remain below 50 cents for 10ml.

Now I donīt want to argue why the shops have to charge 10 times the price, labor, tax and storage doesnīt pay itself, so even though they must be paying much lower reseller prices, the end price may very well be justified, but I wonder why are shops still able to sell anything at these huge differences?
    Of course the law requires much better hygienic conditions for shops who want to mix liquids themselves, like a super clean laboratory, but if shops have to charge these high prices to cover their expenses, that doesnīt neccessary mean users are forced to pay those prices, to my mind it should mean shops canīt even offer liquids because their expenses and subsequent selling prices exceed the users will on spending.

Personally I started vaping because smoking had become just too expensive.
    If I would pay the shops prices for ready made liquids I wouldnīt save anything, just the opposite, in addition with the hardware it would cost more than smoking.
    For me it was logic, as soon as I discovered these differences I invested a few hours reading, learned how to make my own liquids and from there on I havenīt used any ready made stuff.
    The initial investment for some tools like a scale, measuring cups, some syringes and empty bottles paid out within the first 100ml and ever since that Iīm saving about 95% of the costs.
    (That was less than 3 weeks after I started vaping.)
    If I consider the money Iīm saving this way, the time it takes me to make the liquids is better paid than the same time in my job and compared to ordering ready made stuff from all kind of different brands just to find the best taste, I find it more fun to develop my skills and mix better and better flavours myself.
    Of course, once in a while I mix a mess and have to trash a few ml, but the loss from that remains in a range of cents.

Are there really so many newbies around who donīt know how to do (or donīt dare doing) this, or are most vapers careless with their money, thinking saving health is enough, saving money would be exaggerated?

2. Advertisement

I pay $5 for 15ml
    Denrock316 and NiNi like this.

4. Advertisement

I pay $5 for 15ML...$7.50 for 30ML..and $11 for 50ML..my vaping cost me a total of $13 a month ..and an initial starter kit cost of $25...so vaping is very inexpensive.. I don't need to do DIY mixes and hassles to save on liquids..
    Denrock316 and NiNi like this.
    Please join CASAA (its free) if you want to maintain the right to vape and have you, your family, and friends tobacco free. http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

Registered Supplier Jonathan Tittle's Avatar

The market prices are valid because many new vapors don't want to get into DIY, much less stock chemicals they don't fully understand how to mix/blend. Even if you and I think DIY is the easiest thing to do, others may not or may have more fear of mixing chemicals.

For me, 99% of my money goes into DIY and perfecting unique flavors that I can call ADV's. If I see a vendor with something unique I'll make an investment to try it out, but I won't buy basic flavors such as Strawberry, Apple, Orange etc. Those are too easy to DIY and I don't personally feel they're worth $10-$20 per X ml. I skip over them.

With that said, not everyone prefers blended flavors, so most dealers stock single-flavor blends so they can appeal to a wider audience.
    Ezzy1975, NiNi and Thunderball like this.

Provarinati in fideliam ☆ Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I guess I fall into "vaper careless with my money" given the reasons you have for DIY'ing. I'm not disputing that making your own flavors is cheaper than buying it pre-made. It also takes time and experimenting to make decent flavors and measuring and time. Measuring, math, documenting isn't something I want to do and if something is going to cause me stress to do it, it's worth it to me to buy it already made.
    NiNi, DABinTX and Fulgurant like this.

$8.3 for 30 ml gotta buy 6 so basically $50 for 6x 30 ml

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Topwater Elvis's Avatar

Some of us don't have the time or inclination to DIY juice or for vaping to be a hobby of sorts.
    I'm in and out of the B&M I usually buy from with exactly what I want in 2 ~ 5 minutes if I don't visit for a while.
    I pay for the convenience, consistency and the saving of my time.
    The main reason I don't DIY juice is I'm not careless with my time or money.

I've saved a bunch of $$$ since I quit smoking & started vaping using bought juices.
    Of course if you're still in the vendor / flavor / pg/vg ratio discovery phase your juice cost will be higher.
    For me the only times Ive been disappointed or ended up with what I considered unvapable juice was due to buying highly recommended flavors from highly recommended online sources / vendors.
    Last edited by Topwater Elvis; 09-28-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    NiNi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommi View Post
    Iīve been reading through this topic:
    What does your Local Vapor Store Charge for Juice?

It somewhat matches my experience, "normal" prices around $5 for 10ml.
    Of course there are extreme variations of this, like chinese liquids for 99 cents or (supposedly) high quality stuff for like $20, buying online is always cheaper than a local store, but no matter where you look, absolutely nothing comes remotely close to DIY.

I donīt even have to figure the resellers prices for the ingredients, if only I go by the small amounts a private end customer like me uses and add up the prices I pay for everything, I get to ridiculous low values for 10ml.
    Depending on nicotine content and type of flavouring it costs me between 10 and 30 cents to mix 10ml.
    Even if I take the most expensive flavourings, mix nicotine with 18mg/ml and add the price of empty bottles, I still remain below 50 cents for 10ml.

Now I donīt want to argue why the shops have to charge 10 times the price, labor, tax and storage doesnīt pay itself, so even though they must be paying much lower reseller prices, the end price may very well be justified, but I wonder why are shops still able to sell anything at these huge differences?
    Of course the law requires much better hygienic conditions for shops who want to mix liquids themselves, like a super clean laboratory, but if shops have to charge these high prices to cover their expenses, that doesnīt neccessary mean users are forced to pay those prices, to my mind it should mean shops canīt even offer liquids because their expenses and subsequent selling prices exceed the users will on spending.

Personally I started vaping because smoking had become just too expensive.
    If I would pay the shops prices for ready made liquids I wouldnīt save anything, just the opposite, in addition with the hardware it would cost more than smoking.
    For me it was logic, as soon as I discovered these differences I invested a few hours reading, learned how to make my own liquids and from there on I havenīt used any ready made stuff.
    The initial investment for some tools like a scale, measuring cups, some syringes and empty bottles paid out within the first 100ml and ever since that Iīm saving about 95% of the costs.
    (That was less than 3 weeks after I started vaping.)
    If I consider the money Iīm saving this way, the time it takes me to make the liquids is better paid than the same time in my job and compared to ordering ready made stuff from all kind of different brands just to find the best taste, I find it more fun to develop my skills and mix better and better flavours myself.
    Of course, once in a while I mix a mess and have to trash a few ml, but the loss from that remains in a range of cents.

Are there really so many newbies around who donīt know how to do (or donīt dare doing) this, or are most vapers careless with their money, thinking saving health is enough, saving money would be exaggerated?
    Great insights. In fact, based on what I have spent for this new found vaping alternative in the past 3 weeks of starting it, it will take me 60 days or so to recoup my upfront costs.
    After that , it is liquids and rebuild bottom coil materials and energy to charge batteries

Regardless, I also count the costs of health and well being down the road.

The potential to have a big hole in my throat and develop COPD means bed time and loss of work.
    Being self employed, I cannot afford this to happen.

So, I will DEFEND this alternative that has been working for me to my last dying breath.
    Tibby, NiNi and Talyon like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Love DIYing my own eliquid, it takes me 1-2min to whip out a 30mL bottle while leaving little to no mess to clean up afterwards. It does take some experimentation with different flavorings to find a ADV, but once you got it down, it'll cost you <$7 for a 100mL bottle of eliquid. While my DIY product may not be of "premium" quality, but it's definitely better than some of the crappy eliquids that's being offered by some venders. Just my
    Last edited by cedric212; 09-29-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    artt, NiNi and dice57 like this.

Thanks for all your input.
    I guess thereīs one point I forgot to mention.
    You may call me a chain vaper or something like that, Iīm using some pretty big gear, like a Taifun GT with a DNA20 underneath or a Nimbus RA quad coil with a mech mod underneath and Iīm consuming about 20ml per day.
    Obviously I do this only with very low nicotine, like 2mg/ml, meaning for me the fact that DIY becomes cheaper the less nic is in the liquid pays out much more than for "normal" vapers.

If I had to pay $5 for every 10ml that would add up to $300 a month, at discount prices maybe $150 a month.
    Including cleaning up afterwards it takes me about 1/2 hour to mix a months supply in half a dozen different flavors.
    $150 minus some $10 I pay for the ingredients still compares to $140 for 30 minutes of work.
    I never had a job so well paid.
    Denrock316 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast