Cleaning coils
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Cleaning coils

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Cleaning coils

I didn't know you could clean the coils! I just watched a video someone posted last night (thank you) and this is great info. I just replaced my coils yesterday and of course threw away the old ones. My question is how many times can you clean a coil before it needs to be replaced?
    I doubt I will save any money anytime soon....

Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

When you say "coil"... on what atty are we talking about?

All conventional atty coils will eventually degrade and break... but, depending on a variety of variables, some can last for months in regular service. The "use - clean - use - clean" cycle can be repeated only so many times.

The quality of the vape, after a cleaning, will determine when it's time to toss it.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I agree. They are disposable--sooner or later they have to be discarded.

But their life can be prolonged by cleaning--and of course, they can even be rebuilt. But that takes some skill and resolve. I just soak mine in PGA every couple of days or so and as soon as the flavor and vapor production begin to diminish, I just toss them.

Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I use mine (BCC design) stright up until they stop working. But I too clean mine after about 2 tank fulls. I've been vaping about two months now and have only "popped" one coil (Yes I almost typed "pooped one coil"...LMAO).
    Katya and EvilZoe like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Good morning all. I am new to this forum and vaping. I came here in hopes of getting some education and so far I have. I found this thread and I am hoping to get some help. I read about cleaning tanks and all the parts associated with it. People on here ha e said use alcohol or vodka. Well another place that I got my protank mini from said never use alcohol only use soap and water so the Orings won't dry out. Now I am confused. A friend let me borrow a tank and I want to clean it to give it back but I don't want to screw it up. Can someone please tell me the proper way to clean them. Thanks.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vicshalls View Post
    Good morning all. I am new to this forum and vaping. I came here in hopes of getting some education and so far I have. I found this thread and I am hoping to get some help. I read about cleaning tanks and all the parts associated with it. People on here ha e said use alcohol or vodka. Well another place that I got my protank mini from said never use alcohol only use soap and water so the Orings won't dry out. Now I am confused. A friend let me borrow a tank and I want to clean it to give it back but I don't want to screw it up. Can someone please tell me the proper way to clean them. Thanks.
    Hi Vicshalls!

Please clean your tank body with warm water and a little dish washing detergent (or just water)--nothing else. The coil assembly (the atomizer coil and wick) can be soaked in alcohol--PGA or cheap strong vodka!
    Vicshalls likes this.

Vicshalls

Found a link I another thread earlier
    Just go on you tube and type in
    Vapour lady lounge kanger
    The first vid she shows you how to do it
    Last edited by Thebaitrunner; 10-05-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Vicshalls likes this.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Sorry to not respond earlier, I had to go to work. I have a Kanger evod just like the one in this video.. Vapor Lady Lounge Kanger eVod, Protank, MT3, Cleaning and Burning The Atomizer for Better Vaping - YouTube. I bought the starter kit which gives you 5 extra coils. Actually I have bought 2 kits. LOL As I said I didn't know the coils could be cleaned. I'm sure I should have changed it sooner and now see the BIG difference it makes. I know it is not going to be the same for everyone but on average how many times do you clean a coil before you chunk it. I won't venture into rebuilding yet but who knows maybe someday.
    Burnie likes this.
    I doubt I will save any money anytime soon....

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hi Ld!

Nice video. There's no telling how long they will last. It depends mostly on what kind of juice you're using; sweet, dark, highly flavored juices will gunk up the coil very fast and necessitate frequent cleaning. The more you manipulate the coil and the wicks, the faster they will wear out. Dry cleaning stresses the coil and any coil can pop during the procedure.

Those coils are inexpensive so I don't go crazy trying to prolong their life; I soak them in alcohol (PGA or vodka) for a few hours; I may do a quick dry burn if there's a lot of buildup. I also "wet burn" my coils often--I just fill the tank (1/2 a tank or so) with unflavored base or just plain PG or PG/VG blend and vape that (at higher wattage, usually 7-8 watts) until the juice in the tank runs clear. Repeat if necessary. PG is a good solvent and I feel that those wet burns are easier on the coil than the dry burns.

As soon as I begin to notice that the coil doesn't perform like it used to, I throw it away and grab a new one. You'll know when that happens--with a little experience!

Good luck and happy vaping!
    Ld3441 likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Just to add, if you do a dry burn, RINSE RINSE RINSE, after the dry burn. Sometimes there may still be ashes which the heat from the coil can't "get to". You may have to tap your clearo in a bowl of water to see the "ashes" coming off the head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast