Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Juice preferences - can you know what you'll like before you try?

Default Juice preferences - can you know what you'll like before you try?

Sorry for the convoluted title. From what I've read here, many new vapers are disappointed with the first juices they order, and the general recommendation seems to be to just order lots of stuff and try it because there is no way of knowing what you'll like before you do. Is this your experience too?

I'm asking because I'm about to take the plunge and order my first set, and I'm really lost as to what juices I might like and how to approach this. FWIW, I've been smoking menthols for many years, currently just below a pack a day of American Spirits menthol lights.

My hunch would be to go with a few menthol types, but what else should I get and what would you base this decision on? Your preference of ice-cream flavors?

Comments and advice welcome.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Jorunkun View Post
    Sorry for the convoluted title. From what I've read here, many new vapers are disappointed with the first juices they order, and the general recommendation seems to be to just order lots of stuff and try it because there is no way of knowing what you'll like before you do. Is this your experience too?

I'm asking because I'm about to take the plunge and order my first set, and I'm really lost as to what juices I might like and how to approach this. FWIW, I've been smoking menthols for many years, currently just below a pack a day of American Spirits menthol lights.

My hunch would be to go with a few menthol types, but what else should I get and what would you base this decision on? Your preference of ice-cream flavors?

Comments and advice welcome.
    Hi there! I'm a new vaper too so maybe I can be of help. When I first started a couple of months ago, I went with sweet/fruity flavors that I already liked, like pomegranate and strawberry. I had a 'beginner' e-cigarette with one of those plastic disposable tanks so I was advised not to use minty or cinnamon flavored vapes with it because the store that sold it to me told me their customers had had problems in the past with those type tanks splitting or cracking.

My favorite vapes at the moment are things I like in real life...coffee with vanilla cream, and pineapple.

Hope this helps!

4. Advertisement
    Senior Member Verified Member sigtausteve's Avatar

I would go into a few shops and try some flavors out to see where your preferences are. I used to smoke Marlboro menthol lights and I tend to veer toward the slightly mentholed flavors. I also really enjoy the dark berries (blue berry raspberry etc) as well as citrusy kinds. That would be my recommendation. And hey, if you find a flavor that you think will taste good or you can relate to a flavor that you enjoy outside of vaping I say give it a shot

Jester
    nova_did_it likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

You can't know. You can only guess.

In my case, I got lucky on the first guess; since I used to smoke Camels, I picked up a bunch of Turkish Tobacco e-liquid from Halo on my first big order. As it turned out, "Turkish Tobacco" didn't taste like tobacco at all to me, but it's bleeping delicious. It remains my favorite flavor. Nothing else yet has even come close.

But not too long after that, I ordered a bunch of sampler juices from a couple of different juice vendors (including Halo, again), and found that I liked very few. The main surprise was with the chocolate flavors; I've always loved chocolate in pretty much every form, but for whatever reason I can't stand any of the several chocolate-flavored e-liquids I've tried. All of them have received raved reviews both on this site and others, and yet I find them downright disgusting. Even the flavors with only faint notes of chocolate violently disagree with my taste buds.

So anyway, feel free to guess; don't stress either -- but also don't put your eggs into too few baskets. Experiment. Don't be surprised if hate flavors you expect to love, or if you end up loving flavors you expect to dislike.
    Vapoor eyes er likes this.

Super Member Verified Member Whiplash205's Avatar

If at all possible hit a local store up and sample some stuff. Me and the wife were both ex menthol smokers and neither one of us likes menthol vapes. Turns out she likes fruit flavors and I'm more into savory and bakery stuff, like cinnamon bun, snickers, and a chocolate peanut butter caramel(darkside delerium from moon mountain).

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    [url="http://www.goodejuice.com/smoke_free/"]

The Shortest Straw Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

there is no way to tell
    worse still is your taste will change as your senses clear up what you like or dont like now could be the opposite in 2 months.
    ignoring tobacco flavors just order what sounds good and what you think would be something you would like to taste.
    Bassnorma likes this.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

IT BadAzz/QuittingAnalogs Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    there is no way to tell
    worse still is your taste will change as your senses clear up what you like or dont like now could be the opposite in 2 months.
    ignoring tobacco flavors just order what sounds good and what you think would be something you would like to taste.
    Vape anything you think you might like and buy small quantities of a bunch of juices until you settle in. That is my best advice. Some vendors even offer trial sizes.

As Thrasher points out, what you love today may be overpowering once your taste comes back to you.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Three choices come to mind, all mentioned earlier:

1. Local B&M's. These juice bars can produces some surprising results. At the least, they can point you in the right direction.
    2. Sampler Packs - Lots of choices here. I tried MyFreedomSmokes initially, and they had several good sampler packs. Their tobacco sampler was surprisingly good with four or five good ones.
    3. Once you know direction, from 1 and 2 above, try DIY. Ultimately, I have to make the juices that I vape all day long. There's great juice out there, but it's hard to find, expensive, and easily replicated, in time, and patience, with DIY. More of an art, than a science....DIY, that is.

Good luck to you!
    Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest, and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine Rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else, desire variable power.

Full Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    there is no way to tell
    I totally agree with Thrasher. When I started, I had Cherry Cigar that I really liked, but by the time I finished the bottle, I couldn't stand it! I still have a menthol that I love, but have found I like the lighter flavors, like Lichi, and Twisted Kiwi. (E Liq Cube)

PV Master Verified Member
    Supporting Member

It's hit and miss, even with flavors one really likes, disappointment is always a risk. I finally found a few that I really loved, but then I started DIY juice. I purchased 9 different flavor extracts with my start up purchase, and now make small 10ml test batches, finding flavors and recipes that will please me. If a test batch is crap, well I'm only out like 80 cents, no big just don't mix it that way again.

Finding a vape bar where you can sample flavors is always a great idea, unfortunately not everyone has one close by. Heard there was one north of me, about 35 miles, but that's pretty inconvenient for me with my work schedule working nights. Now I have my own juice bar, so it's not a factor.

Just try flavors that you like, such as ice cream, or coffee, or even pizza. Only you know what you like to consume. The longer I vape, the more flavors I seem to love, so give it some time to find your thrill, on blueberry hill, or something like that. lol

Welcome and good luck.
    Bassnorma likes this.
    P.S.: the cat bites!
    and the chinchilla too!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast