Why is 18 mg (18 mg of nicotine/mg of e liquid) the standard?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Why is 18 mg (18 mg of nicotine/mg of e liquid) the standard?

Default Why is 18 mg (18 mg of nicotine/mg of e liquid) the standard?

One average draw from an e cigarette with 18 mg nicotine juice in it does not do too much to me (and I never even smoked much), and from what I've heard, for most users.

So why is such a non-dense amount the standard in the business? Wouldn't it be better if 24 mg or 30 mg e liquid was the standard?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It really all depends on the person. I was a pack a day smoker and started with 24mg liquid. It was far to strong for me and just a few puffs would over nic me enough to make me dizzy. I quickly moved down to 18mg which worked well but I still found myself getting to much nic every once in a while. I am now happy with 12mg liquid, but am thinking of taking it down to 9mg to help lower my dependence. I cant even imagine what would happen if I had tried 30mg at the start.
    NiNi and madqatter like this.

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran Vapoor eyes er's Avatar

Most new vapers begin at 18 or 24 mg. I've converted a number beyond belief and starting mg is anywhere from 10- 36. Unlike traditional cessation progs where some pharma company tells us what mg we need....vaping is a very personal program leaving the mg decision completely up to the user and that's possibly one of the the reasons for it's success IMO.

Super Member Verified Member Enoch777's Avatar

Hmm. Interesting points, but I vape 8mg mostly. I even made some recent buys for a few 1oz bottles of 4mg so I can chain vape more without worrying about getting shaky.

I've read plenty of posts of individuals who much prefer 4 - 12mg over the higher 18 - 30mg+ juices. Am I missing something? What makes 18mg the standard nic content?
    NiNi, IBCR Media and madqatter like this.

I was a smoker for 30 years. The last 2-3 years I smoke about 1 1/2 packs a day. Since I had prepared myself to be vaping all day, I started out on 12 mg 5 weeks ago. I have tried 18 but the throad hit is too strong and makes me cough. I guess everyone is different on how they react to the nic vapor.
    NiNi likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member IBCR Media's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vapoor eyes er View Post
    Most new vapers begin at 18 or 24 mg. I've converted a number beyond belief and starting mg is anywhere from 10- 36. Unlike traditional cessation progs where some pharma company tells us what mg we need....vaping is a very personal program leaving the mg decision completely up to the user and that's possibly one of the the reasons for it's success IMO.
    I have seen that idea expressed here before, but never quite so succinctly.

I couldn't agree more strongly. We were told how many pieces of gum to chew, how many patches to use, whether we could use other NRT at the same time, how many pills to take and how often, how many tokes to take on the inhaler, ad nauseum. None of it works.

With my choices of liquid flavors and strengths, I'm in control here. I know how I'm reacting to the amount and method of nic delivery and I get to adjust how it's provided.

And that has worked when nothing else did.
    Last edited by IBCR Media; 10-07-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: chew! Stupid autocorrect is stupid

Vapers Blessing: May your batteries be fully charged, your atomizer full of great liquid, your coils wrapped to the sweet spot and your vapor clouds be big, bright and beautiful.

18mg is the standard? Says who? On the websites of the most of the juice vendors I use, 12mg is the default value.

I started with 18 but I vape mostly 12 now.
    SABOTEUR and NiNi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch777 View Post

I've read plenty of posts of individuals who much prefer 4 - 12mg over the higher 18 - 30mg+ juices. Am I missing something? What makes 18mg the standard nic content?
    Well, the two online vendors I use make you select your nicotine concentration...and 12 is "low", 18 is "medium" and 24 is "high".

And at gas stations, I usually only see 12 mg and 18 mg.

18mg nic is NOT the standard...depends on what analogs ya smoked..

click to make bigger

nicotinestrengthhelp.jpg
    NiNi likes this.
    Please join CASAA (its free) if you want to maintain the right to vape and have you, your family, and friends tobacco free. http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

Ultra Member Verified Member IBCR Media's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch777 View Post
    Hmm. Interesting points, but I vape 8mg mostly. I even made some recent buys for a few 1oz bottles of 4mg so I can chain vape more without worrying about getting shaky.

I can only speculate, but I think some people see 18mg as the standard because it represents the median nic level across the potency spectrum being offered by vendors. I know of no vendor selling liquid with a nic content greater than 36mg and of course, you can't get weaker than 0mg.

In reality, the "standard" lies in what works for you. Meaning, there ain't no standard.
    NiNi, JonnyB88, Enoch777 and 1 others like this.

Vapers Blessing: May your batteries be fully charged, your atomizer full of great liquid, your coils wrapped to the sweet spot and your vapor clouds be big, bright and beautiful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast