Local vape shops. Sales vs Customer Service
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Local vape shops. Sales vs Customer Service

Full Member Verified Member EsOne's Avatar

Default Local vape shops. Sales vs Customer Service

I remember when I first started vaping. I bought a little eGo kit from a local gas station for $30. Cheapest around.

Now, we have a few vape shops local (revolvercig.com, smokerevolt.com), but as a starter I wanted to test the waters with something cheap.

Eventually, I had learned (the hard way) that clearomizers are disposable. LOL. I had went into my local Smoke Revolt shop and bought their "Dart" branded disposable clearomizers for my 650mah eGo battery.

Still not knowing much at all about vaping, I got this clearmizer home, filled, and went to screw it on to my tank only to find that it didn't screw down all the way, and there was a nice gap between the 510 connection and the bottom of the tank. Kind of wobbly.

Thinking IT was defective, I returned it. While at the shop, I explained what was wrong. First thing to come out of their mouth was "you need one of OUR batteries."

Needless to say, I walked out of their shop that day with an overpriced 900mah battery, and a pyrex Vivi tank.

I do a some local juice trading and came across an ex-employee of said shop. She told me that all I had to do was take a small screwdriver and screw the contact pin in a little. The person at the shop knew this the whole time, but they are trained to "make sales." I was upsold because one of their smaller products was not working and they witheld the easy fix for it to make a sale.

I do not visit their shop anymore only to buy Vivi heads. I felt like I was another sale instead of being helped properly. I feel like everytime I go in there I am forcefed sales pitches of their overpriced rebranded stuff.

So... As a consumer of these goods, do you find yourself visiting local shops for parts or shop online more? Are all shops like this? Both of the local shops here have their own branded items sold at a huge upcharge.

I think I'd prefer a friendly customer service with the occasional educational sales pitch, not feeling like I am just another sale.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Our local B&M is awesome. I spend a lot of time in there visiting, as I was their very first customer. They sell name brand products, in house mixing of juices. When someone new to vaping comes in they help them choose a kit, usually a Kanger Evod kit for beginners. They have testers out for their juices (over 120 flavors). They then help them decide what nic strength and when the customer walks out he has already been shown how to fill and use it. So when they leave they are already vaping as they walk out to their car. They are all quiet knowledgeable. This is our only B&M for 2 towns 20 miles apart with over 200,000 people. I was in the DFW area a few weeks back and visited a couple of B&M's. One was pretty decent, the other one didn't know squat. I was helping people off to the side, because the guy there was giving them wrong info. If you are going to own one or run one, you should at least know what you are doing. Just my VAPE ON

Provarinati in fideliam ☆ Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I only shop online now. I did buy some juice at the local shops when I first started but it was way over priced. But I tend to buy everything online if I can. I pass by 5 vape shops driving to work so they are all over the place where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Txaggiesaunt View Post
    Snip: When someone new to vaping comes in they help them choose a kit, usually a Kanger Evod kit for beginners. They then help them decide what nic strength and when the customer walks out he has already been shown how to fill and use it. So when they leave they are already vaping as they walk out to their car.
    My experience exactly and wondering if it's the same shop.

Over Fifteen Thousand cigarettes NOT smoked in just 11 months. Now, that's a milestone!

I mostly shop online only because the most advanced stuff my b&m store has vv/vw mods and carto tanks. Personally i strictly use mech mods and rba/rda's however I do come in for juice. I send my smoker friends in their though to get them to stop smoking. However I think that what I am more concerned about when I walk into a shop is their knowledge of their products. I'm fine with limited selections if they at least have efficient knowledge of what they sell.

As for your situation, I have had so many situations like that. I'd say stick around this forum, ask around for advise, and then buy the products online. There are so many b&m stores that do not keep up with the newest products and sometimes fall behind in vaping technology.
    Boy! You look like yerr smokin' a pipe bomb!

Super Member ECF Veteran

I thought the first shop i found was awesome until they would not tell me the PG/VG ratio of the juice and charged top dollar for replacement coils. They were also passing off some products as real Visions when Vision does not even offer that product.

Then i found two other B&Ms that had better hardware selection, much cheaper coils/cartos and far more informed sales staff.
    Txaggiesaunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EsOne View Post
    I do a some local juice trading and came across an ex-employee of said shop. She told me that all I had to do was take a small screwdriver and screw the contact pin in a little. The person at the shop knew this the whole time, but they are trained to "make sales." I was upsold because one of their smaller products was not working and they witheld the easy fix for it to make a sale.
    That's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by EsOne View Post
    As a consumer of these goods, do you find yourself visiting local shops for parts or shop online more? Are all shops like this? ...I think I'd prefer a friendly customer service with the occasional educational sales pitch, not feeling like I am just another sale.
    I think the shops I have visited (several now, in different towns around the DC area) are a mix. Some are selling overpriced junk, some are selling good merch at reasonable prices. Some put on the purchase pressure, others are laid back and don't mind you looking at and handling anything you like without buying anything. I plan to return only to the places where the people have treated me well.

So far, I haven't bought any equipment from a store that I haven't researched elsewhere ahead of time and done some price comparison on. There are times I might be willing to pay a little more to have something in my hand right away, but I'm going to know how much and weigh that cost carefully.
    Vapoor eyes er, Mrs C and EsOne like this.

9/8/13 Magneto/Sig8W/MVP2
    VGan/PG-Free: ECF members with PG allergies

Ummmmm, it REALLY depends on the shop. Some stores will rip you off with their overpriced rebranded stuff, and some shops sell name brand tanks, egos, mech mods, rebuildables, gourmet juices and will only sell you the best stuff. If you have experienced poor quality gear and service, don't go there anymore. If you are lucky enough to have a good B&M in your town, or close to you, it's worth it to spend you cash there. Do your research, look at reviews and know what you want before you go in. I think that it's important to support local businesses if they offer what you are looking for. Just my !

I do not trust the combination of badly secured personal information of websites and the piss poor track record of the USPS. I consider the extra couple bucks for my juice to be "rush delivery" as I can drip and vape it as I am paying for it.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Roadkill View Post
    My experience exactly and wondering if it's the same shop.
    Well I am in Odessa. If you came thru here, then it is the same shop. The only shop here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast