Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Juice & Asthma

ECF Moderator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by ahall View Post
    I have asthma and i vape 50/50 ratio. I have noticed that is not the pg or vg that bother me. It is random flavors that do it. I can't vape my favorite flavor white peach ala zoe any more. And have found a few others I can not use or else asthma sets in. So now i avoid any flavors that give me that reaction.
    I thought maybe it was a brand of flavorings that the vendors use but I also diy my liquids and have all diff brands. And it's no one brand that gives me the issues.
    I hope you are able to figure out your issues.
    I would suspect that's true but it's hard to narrow down. One member here had a bad reaction to banana flavoring.

Thanks, Stosh, Vapor Eyes Er, and Caridwen - I'm off to do some more reading.

Ahall, it never occurred to me that flavors could be the problem! I assumed it had to be the fluid type. It sounds like you've become more sensitive to certain flavors over time? Is there an obvious difference in your asthma when vaping compared to smoking?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

That is for sure. I have never been able to narrow down the flavors that do it to me as they seem random. But then again. Many liquid have flavorings in them that you would never know by the taste. So I try them and the second I have an issue I pass the liquid on to a friend

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Vaping flavors that I don't have a reaction like that to gives me no asthma issues at all. Even chain vaping. Even being around smoke sends me to an inhaler or nebulizer every time.
    I don't think I got more sensitive over time although that might be true. I think I was just not wanting to admit what the issue was since it was my favorite flavor lol. Took a while to put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Caridwen View Post
    One member here had a bad reaction to banana flavoring.
    Wow! One of the Roar flavors yesterday was from the Hawaii series. It was supposed to be a 'light' banana flavor, but that was the only flavor I could taste and it was strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ahall View Post
    Vaping flavors that I don't have a reaction like that to gives me no asthma issues at all. Even chain vaping. Even being around smoke sends me to an inhaler or nebulizer every time.
    I don't think I got more sensitive over time although that might be true. I think I was just not wanting to admit what the issue was since it was my favorite flavor lol. Took a while to put it together.
    Probably the only thing that has been disappointing to me in my two months of not smoking is that I don't feel remarkably better. Still have asthma issues, but slight and very manageable -- unless, like you, I'm exposed to triggers. This is fall leaf mold season so it's worse than usual. The episode last night made it impossible for me not to admit that the new juice was the trigger. I'm glad I know of at least two brands/manufacturers that don't cause problems. I'm not sure I'll ever go the diy route, just due to a lack of free time.

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran Vapoor eyes er's Avatar

To rule out the PG and/ or the VG you could buy small bottles of USP Grade from the pharmacy and try vaping each one separately without nicotine and see how you react. They generally don't ask about the PG but if they do just tell them you're making non allergenic soap or candles.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post
    If the VG is the culprit
    Probably FLAVORINGS is the culprit.

BTW, the reason some VG juices are thinner is because vendor thins with distilled water. You can do that yourself as well, one or two droppers of DT in a bottle of juice, til you like the consistency. Make sure water is distilled, and of course, sterile.
    Vapoor eyes er likes this.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post
    Yes, I think inhalers do use PG, but the quantity would be a zillion times less than all day vaping.
    Very good point.

I also used one of the Hawaii flavors from Roar.
    Mike makes great juice. Keep in mind that a lot of fruit flavors can crack a clearo tank, thus be irritating to lungs. Esp anything in citrus family but have seen it with other fruits. Likewise, cinnamon, etc.

I don't have asthma and can't vape most fruits.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
    Very good point.

Mike makes great juice. Keep in mind that a lot of fruit flavors can crack a clearo tank, thus be irritating to lungs. Esp anything in citrus family but have seen it with other fruits. Likewise, cinnamon, etc.

I don't have asthma and can't vape most fruits.
    Yes, I'd read that some fluids could crack the plastic tanks. I used the Triton tanks for the Roar flavors. They didn't crack, but I suppose they could have interacted with the plastic to create something nasty. The local fluid I used in a Kanger glass tank. I sure hope I can continue to vape fruit flavors, the only other flavors that I like, but not nearly as well, are yesterday's lemon meringue (still fruit), my mix of Virgin Vapor Mint tingle & Halo Kris Kringle (tingle/kringle), and occasionally, Halo's Belgian Chocolate (but I've found that it tends to burn quickly, even on lowest setting).

You all are really amazing! I can't believe how much you know and I'm so appreciative of your willingness to help!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast