What are you using to drill out air holes?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By MrStik
  • 1 Post By cdf294
  • 1 Post By DKP#
  • 4 Post By State O' Flux
  • 1 Post By Ryedan
  • 1 Post By DrBeaker

Thread: What are you using to drill out air holes?

Default What are you using to drill out air holes?

I have a steam turbine clone and the air holes are tiny. I bought some cobolt and titanium drill bits and have a cordless 18v drill. I have been drilling out the hole using a 1/16th bit and have had no luck. I have been through 3 fully charged batteries on my drill with no luck. Any suggestions on what to do?

I dunno about the steam turbine, but my RBAs, IGOs and Nimbus, were drilled out with a standard drill bit. I would start out with one that is slightly larger than the hole already, drill that out and step up to the next size until you get the size you desire.
    State O' Flux likes this.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Agree with MrStik- start small and work your way up.

If you start too big, one of 2 things will likely happen- 1) you dull the bit by burning it, OR, 2) you will snap the bit off in the hole.

Edit: I used high speed steel bits to enlarge my airholes. Both cobalt and titanium should hold up better than HSS. I suspect that you have burnt up your bits.
    Last edited by cdf294; 10-19-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

More pressure maybe?
    Drilling should give off chips. If it's only giving off powdery bits, it needs more pressure. Keep it cool, stainless will heat and "work harden" if you don't apply enough pressure. Try to keep it cool, mist it with a spray bottle if you need to. I've never drilled one out but I've worked with stainless.

Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Combine the posts of DKP, MrStik and cdf... and you have everything you need to know about drilling SS by hand. HSS with 8% cobalt bits (ti is a coating that wears off, 8% cobalt is thru and thru), high pressure, low speed, coolant and step drilling.

Dust equals a dull bit, not enough pressure, trying to take too big a "bite", too much speed or dry drilling. If you ain't got chips, you've got a long day ahead of you.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I use a drill press for this. That makes it easy. With a hand drill, stability is going to be a key factor. I would clamp the RBA cap (top piece you are drilling the hole in) onto a worktable or a piece of plywood clamped to a table so I could push on it. Then hold the drill as steady as you can and push on it with your thigh or hip. The issue then is going to be when you break through the drill is going to grab and can easily break, so you need to back off the pressure at just the right time. Dipping the drill bit in vegetable oil will help keep it cool and lubricated.

I use high speed steel drill bits. IMO, coatings do not matter for this application. If you are not finished drilling the hole in one or two minutes, you`re not putting enough pressure on it.

Full Member ECF Veteran Greg__B's Avatar

I think it was canape where I noticed actually has a device made for air hole punching/drilling.

Sent from Mars using my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Quote Originally Posted by Greg__B View Post
    I think it was canape where I noticed actually has a device made for air hole punching/drilling.

Is that for sell and if so can you post a link?

Full Member ECF Veteran Greg__B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TundraMike View Post
    Is that for sell and if so can you post a link?
    Couldn't find the one on canvape but found this one somewhere else.

https://www.vaporgeek.com/shop/index...t_id=544#intro

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran DrBeaker's Avatar

Make sure your bit is turnning clockwise as seen from above. Try pulsing the power 1second at a time if its not cutting its dulling the bit! Put pressure but not enough to break the bit. The hard bits should be pulsed to allow it to cool between cutting. Try it...
    built4feel likes this.