ProTank II flooding since removing flavor wick - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: ProTank II flooding since removing flavor wick

Senior Member Verified Member Blkwdw86's Avatar

Be sure to use cotton that doesn't have anything on it such as treatment chemicals and the like. Organic is best.

Some people will go to Walmart and hit the Crafts section. There they have cotton yarn, Peaches & Cream brand, 120 yards for $1.47 a roll. It's yarn, it's already twisted and sized, many people swear by it. It offers consistency not available with making your own from cotton balls. For Kanger heads, you can use it as-is, for RDAs and such where the coils are bigger, simply coil it up into double or quadruple layers as you need, wrap, then snip the ends.

Cotton just works so much better than silica, and silica essentially being fiberglass, a whole sight safer too.

I want to avoid having to recoil anything.. I can just place the twisted cotton on top of the coiled wick correct?

Senior Member Verified Member Blkwdw86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eFFeRR View Post
    I want to avoid having to recoil anything.. I can just place the twisted cotton on top of the coiled wick correct?
    Correct.

It wouldn't hurt to learn about re-coiling though. On these Kanger heads it's sick simple. Why replace the entire piece of hardware at $2 a pop when you can re-coil and re-wick for a couple of pennies?

I bought a bunch of Kanger heads for my Evods. When I wear one out, I toss it in a lidded cup and throw in a fresh one. When I get down to my last couple of heads, I do a mass clean and rebuild on my old heads, replenish the tin of good heads. (Snus tins are perfect for this. Find someone who uses Snus and get them to hang onto their tins for you. Great storage for small stuff!)

Good practice if you're a prepper, too. A modest supply of heads combined with minimal wire and wick material will yield years of rebuilds. Good skill to have if suddenly you can't just click on an order for new ones.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eFFeRR View Post
    So instead of buying wick I can use a piece of cotton ball? Does this give good results or should I just order some 2mm wick next time I place an order?
    I've been using the same cotton ball for three weeks.

Please use organic cotton balls like this:Cotton_balls80.jpg

"Deos fortioribus adesse." - Tacitus

Hi everybody. I'll chime in to agree that cotton ball flavor wicks work perfectly on my Pro Tank heads.

I haven't re-built the coil or messed with the silica wick yet, but everytime I clean and dry burn I've replaced the flavor wicks with one made of regular cotton ball.

No problems at all with flooding and wicks much better for both high VG and lower ohmage.

Taste is at least as good, if not better.

Interested in trying the peaches & cream yarn though. Also want to swith to the organic cotton balls.

Hi all. I use cotton thread in a very small coil on my Kangers (8/9 coil of 30 ga Kanthal on a very small screwdriver (1.5mm) gives me 1.6 ohms which I vape at 4v (for 10W). I allow the cotton wick to come out of the Kanger head slots and then wrap into the gap between the head and the body of the Kanger for maximum soakage. I am getting an absolutely brilliant vape from this setup - really good flavour and lots of vapour (but not a "Dragon") - really good! I have also tried this cotton which works really well:

Amazon.com: Cotton Square Braid Candle Wick - #1/0: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Cotton Wick.jpg

I just removed my flavor wicks in my protank II because I was getting a lot of burnt taste after putting in a new coil only a few days ago.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran evan le'garde's Avatar

Don't know what others have said because i haven't read the other posts but..... I'm pretty sure the munufacturers that make tanks with "flavour wicks" know what they are doing and place those wicks inside for a good reason. Plenty of people would say "taking them out improves performance"...... well that's rubbish !. People will continue to tell you to take them out. I'm sure they're just kidding. Though ECF is a good place for research it is also full of jokers that give you false information just for a laugh. This place is full of people like that. They can be quite convincing too, and very sincere. Do you really think that absolutely everyone here is being serious ?.

You need 3mm silica for the coil, and 2 1mm silica flavour wicks to rebuild your protank. If you use anything other than 3 mil then you'll get gurgling and floooding and will have to pack it out with more flavour wicks.
    Vapoor eyes er likes this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by evan le'garde View Post
    Don't know what others have said because i haven't read the other posts but..... I'm pretty sure the munufacturers that make tanks with "flavour wicks" know what they are doing and place those wicks inside for a good reason. Plenty of people would say "taking them out improves performance"...... well that's rubbish !. People will continue to tell you to take them out. I'm sure they're just kidding. Though ECF is a good place for research it is also full of jokers that give you false information just for a laugh. This place is full of people like that. They can be quite convincing too, and very sincere. Do you really think that absolutely everyone here is being serious ?.

You need 3mm silica for the coil, and 2 1mm silica flavour wicks to rebuild your protank. If you use anything other than 3 mil then you'll get gurgling and floooding and will have to pack it out with more flavour wicks.
    Maybe you should have read the other posts after all.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran evan le'garde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katya View Post
    Maybe you should have read the other posts after all.

Why, i answered the op !. Though you are entitled to your opinion. Try reading the op yourself. So maybe i won't bother taking your advice thanks very much. I'd rather focus on the question that was originally asked. Which is what i always do.
    Last edited by evan le'garde; 10-21-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Vapoor eyes er likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast