jwprofessor needs help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: jwprofessor needs help

Blog Entries

Racehorse knows her stuff. Agreed, we need to know what nicotine strength and what flavors you are using.

It is quite common for new vapors to cough when they begin vaping. Warm vapor is different from warm smoke from cigarettes. It took your body time to adjust to smoking, it will take some time to adjust to vaping, too.

Understand that it is not necessary to lung inhale the vapor to absorb your nicotine. The nicotine that is in water vapor is a different size molecule and is absorbed in the mucus membranes of the mouth and nose. So for beginners, it is suggested to do a "mouth inhale", hold it there for a few seconds, and then exhale through both the nose and mouth. As you adjust to the vapor, you can gradually learn to inhale into your lungs like you did when you smoked.

Drink plenty of water. The Pg and Vg in vapor pulls water from our tissues and can cause dehydration and dry mouth/throat, so this must be replaced.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Message or PM any veteran or even a Moderator.
    Good suggestion. Sorry for the rambling. Brand new at this!

Mystagogue Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome jw!

Are you still using the Greensmoke kit or did you replace it with the Apollo? I don't know about Apollo, but I found Greensmoke to be pretty harsh. They also don't tell you what the pv/vg ratio is. As I recall, the nicotine level choices were light, medium and high. I'm not sure what exactly they correspond to, but it will be somewhere in the range of 6mg being the possible lowest to 24mg being the possible highest.

My experience with Greensmoke lasted all of 4 days. Having not tried an e-cig before they were actually fine for me at the time, but I started searching for more flavors and discovered all of the alternatives. I sent it back and got a very simple eGo kit. That was all I used until the Twist came out a couple of months later. I was lucky in that I never picked up another cigarette after trying my first Greensmoke, but the longer battery life and more flavor choices of eGp kit made my entrance into the world of vaping much more enjoyable.

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by The Ocelot; 10-23-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Baditude likes this.
    ProVarinati Princess ~ Infanta del Phidiae-Reo ~ Baroness Boboni of Sigeleiland
    CASAA Member

ProVari/Rüzgar ~ Reo/RM2 ~ bOd Mecha/KFL+ ~ Gus Kiss Qorax Edition/iTaste VF

All the vets have posted great questions and suggestions. Here's a related link to visit: Inhalation technique with an e-cigarette

9/8/13 Magneto/Sig8W/MVP2
    VGan/PG-Free: ECF members with PG allergies

Quote Originally Posted by jwprofessor View Post
    I have been trying out e-cigs with the Greensmoke and Appollo kits. I'm trying hard to break the cig habit(3 pack/day for 47 years). Health requires my stopping. My problem is these e-cigs are coughing me badly. Any ideas on how I get started properly. Getting desperate!
    WOW! I didn't expect so much quick help from such nice understanding people. I'm new to a forum, so it is taking me some time to navigate. I presently use the Greensmoke with 18mg nicotine and Apollo with 24 mg. They are the cig-like ones with a disposable cartomizer. I believe I am going to like this experience, but I have to get past the coughing , especially with emphysema. So you see my "desperation".(lol) I'm going to our local e-cig store that has recently opened armed with your suggestions and have them show me what is available for my needs, maintenance cost, vg vs pg, flavors, ease of use, battery life, etc. I gather from your comments to look for e Go batteries, variable voltage, C35 or I Clear clearomizers. I'm less clear on pg vs vg ratios. I would like enough vapor that it replicates actual smoking. Also any advantages about top coil, bottom coil, double coil. Is there better places to shop online, or go local? I don't want to break any rules, if there is any, about asking about brands or suppliers . Anymore info or suggestions you can give will sure be appreciated. Again, thanks for all of your help. You guys have been great. I have to quit the real cigs!!

Blog Entries

You can do it. In fact, you MUST do it. You don't have to quit cold turkey, either. We have a saying here on ECF, "It's not how many cigarettes you smoke that count, it's the ones you didn't."

Naming brands here on ECF is allowed.

Pg has been said to carry flavors better than Vg, but may also be a little harsh on the throat. Vg is most responsible for vapor production. Typically a 50/50 ratio is used for a nice balance between flavor and vapor.

B & M prices will be more expensive than purchasing online, but you do get to actually see before you buy and get a demonstration of how it works by the sales staff.

Online vendors commonly recommended are AltSmoke, Discount Vapors, & My Vapor Store, who generally have all the major name-brand e-cig products you need.

Name brands like Joytech, Vision, Innokin, & Kanger are the big players in vaping. The name-brand products are typically more consistant in quality and worth paying a little more for.

Top-coil clearomizers are typically easier to use because they are filled from the top. They may make more of a warmer vape.

Bottom-coil clearomizers must be removed from the battery & turned upside down to be filled. They may make more of a cooler vape.

Dual coil clearomizers have two heating coils. Theoretically they make more vapor. The Innokin iClear 16 & 30 are dual top-coil clearomizers. The iClear 30 happens to be my favorite of the entire bunch.

YouTube is an excellent resource to learn about specific products. PBusardo, Grimm Green, and IGetcha are well known reviewers.

Sounds like your are taking the right step by visiting your local shop so you can ask questions and get you hands on equipment. All the comments thus far have been spot on with their information.

1. A variable voltage "battery" (eGo twist - Spinner) a least two so you can swap out between charges, or an advanced variable voltage "mod" (Vmax - Lavatube- SID - Provari) with extra batteries.

2. A tank with top or bottom coils you can replace ( Kanger Pro 2 - Kanger T3- Clearomizer - Vivi Nova) some come in mini versions.

3. A good/safe charger if you decide to take the advanced mod route (Intellicharger) this will stop charging the batteries when they are at capacity or an unsafe condition is sensed. When charging lithium batteries some consideration with regards to safety must be taken.

4. A couple of small bottles of juice to start with, in my case 24mg nicotine level. I recommend the small 5 to 10 mil size until you settle on a couple of flavors with the VG, PG, or VG/PG mix that works for you.

5. A positive attitude, do not get discouraged, some experimentation with voltage, coil resistance, and juice may be necessary to find the right combination for you.

6. Research this forum, after you get the basics there is so much more you can learn with preference, technique, and equipment.

Good luck at the shop, do not be afraid to ask questions or feel rushed. We are all here to help you!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jwprofessor View Post
    WOW! I didn't expect so much quick help from such nice understanding people. I'm new to a forum, so it is taking me some time to navigate. I presently use the Greensmoke with 18mg nicotine and Apollo with 24 mg. They are the cig-like ones with a disposable cartomizer. I believe I am going to like this experience, but I have to get past the coughing , especially with emphysema. So you see my "desperation".(lol) I'm going to our local e-cig store that has recently opened armed with your suggestions and have them show me what is available for my needs, maintenance cost, vg vs pg, flavors, ease of use, battery life, etc. I gather from your comments to look for e Go batteries, variable voltage, C35 or I Clear clearomizers. I'm less clear on pg vs vg ratios. I would like enough vapor that it replicates actual smoking. Also any advantages about top coil, bottom coil, double coil. Is there better places to shop online, or go local? I don't want to break any rules, if there is any, about asking about brands or suppliers . Anymore info or suggestions you can give will sure be appreciated. Again, thanks for all of your help. You guys have been great. I have to quit the real cigs!!

jw, I was a smoker for over 50 years and have had copd for several years. I quit by starting out using an ego battery with ce atomizers, they were close enough to the real thing for me. I have upgraded some since then but still use them once in a while.

The coughing is pretty common for some when they quit cigarettes and some is caused by vaping. The ejuice you use can cause some of it. Nicotine level will also play a part. How you vape also can cause coughing at first. The coughing will pass though.

Try to find something you like and stick with it---------it will be WORTH it. Vist a B&M store if you have any near you and see if they will let you try some out. You can always upgrade later if you want to. I just pasted my first year without a cigarette and the results for me have been amazing (YMMV)

Good luck.

Edited to add: Don't hesitate to ask any question on ECF---lots of knowledge here willing to help. They have helped me just by reading the forum.
    Last edited by jocat54; 10-23-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    "All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12