Should this be happening? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Should this be happening?

Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

What voltage were you using?

I'm betting it's the circuitry or the head/coil that heated and not the battery. Do you know for sure what part of the mod got hot?

Many mods actually have wattage limits, not amp limits. It's amps @ X.X volts. (and volts x amps = watts). So it's possible it would be at the top of the wattage limit and then overheated if you continued to use it and maybe thermal trip. IDK for sure though, it would have to be tested to find out. If you're concerned, I don't blame you for using a different PV. This is just some "other possibility" guessing on my part.
    Tobacco free since 6/30/10 4:30 pm! VV box mod user and amateur multimeter reader.
    ♪♫♪♫♩ They call me AttyPops, AttyPops, Oh Atty Atty Atty... AttyPops! <Ba, Da, Bum, Bum> ♪♫♪♫♩

Quote Originally Posted by AttyPops View Post
    What voltage were you using?

I'm betting it's the circuitry or the head/coil that heated and not the battery. Do you know for sure what part of the mod got hot?

Many mods actually have wattage limits, not amp limits. It's amps @ X.X volts. (and volts x amps = watts). So it's possible it would be at the top of the wattage limit and then overheated if you continued to use it and maybe thermal trip. IDK for sure though, it would have to be tested to find out. If you're concerned, I don't blame you for using a different PV. This is just some "other possibility" guessing on my part.
    The display was reading 3.0 volts. The whole body of the mod was getting warm from the top of the battery to the bottom.
    AttyPops likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

7.5 Amps.. It says it's rated for 5, but I trust the review that says it's really 4.5 Amps. Is it getting hot with a "normal" resistance?

No it did not get warm with my 1.8 ohm tank. I never tried a dripper on it until that day. I always used Kanger tanks or Vivi Novas.

Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

22.5 watts. 5 amps (rated) at 5 volts is 25 watts. So IDK. I think it has a thermal trip error too...internal temp reading of some kind. Not sure. I'd have guessed 15 watt limit. Lemme go see if I can find some specs on this thing........

Did you use IMR 18350s?

Also, I guess it's supposed to throw an F1 or F2 error when shorted. It also uses stacked 18350's, yes?

So you'd need the proper batteries to make sure they put out the amps...or it would get hot with the wrong ones.

So tossing it is OK if you think it should have thrown the F1 or F2 error.

I couldn't find a watt limit or decent specs.
    Last edited by AttyPops; 10-24-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Tobacco free since 6/30/10 4:30 pm! VV box mod user and amateur multimeter reader.
    ♪♫♪♫♩ They call me AttyPops, AttyPops, Oh Atty Atty Atty... AttyPops! <Ba, Da, Bum, Bum> ♪♫♪♫♩

Quote Originally Posted by AttyPops View Post
    22.5 watts. 5 amps (rated) at 5 volts is 25 watts. So IDK. I think it has a thermal trip error too...internal temp reading of some kind. Not sure. I'd have guessed 15 watt limit. Lemme go see if I can find some specs on this thing........

Did you use IMR 18350s?

Also, I guess it's supposed to throw an F1 or F2 error when shorted. It also uses stacked 18350's, yes?

So you'd need the proper batteries to make sure they put out the amps...or it would get hot with the wrong ones.

So tossing it is OK if you think it should have thrown the F1 or F2 error.

I couldn't find a watt limit or decent specs.
    Yes, I only used 800mah efest IMR 18350 batteries. I tossed the no name batteries when I bought the mod. It must be a manufacturing defect.
    AttyPops likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12