Cotton yarn issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cotton yarn issue

By strand do you mean one of those little strings that form the big string?

Mine has 10 strands, you are saying I should put less than the whole thing? My drill bit is like 1.5-1.6 mm in diameter.

Here's the yarn and the drill bit for comparison.

yarn.jpg

Later edit: I want to make this yarn method work since I am a fan of consistency. The cotton balls might vary between wicks. Just changed the wick with a thicker cotton from cotton ball and now it works properly, flavor, vapor, all good. Previous one was too small apparently.
    Last edited by phorumph; 10-30-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added pic
    RubyRoo likes this.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Jonathan Tittle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor7617 View Post
    Wow, I've gotta say your don't look burnt at all compared to what my cotton looks like when I go to remove it. Guess I'm burning the hell out of mine but it isn't affecting flavor (usually more noticable on darker or sweeter juices). I'm using a 1/16 drill bit, microcoil (10 wraps) of 30ga Kanthal right at 2 ohms. I use 100% organic cotton yarn (4-strand). I break this down and use 3 strands inside the coil and 2 small single strands as flavor wicks. Most of my juice is either 60pg so it's on the thinner side vs say a 100vg juice. Wondering if I should try 2 strands inside the coil? Hmmmm... Sad part is I've read others using all 4 inside same size coil I'm making..now that seems tight. I do twist the end of the cotton just enough to get a point, then gently pull it through and when I do there is just a minimal amount of touching (not tight, but does touch) so I "assume" I'm using right amount. Looks like it might be time to test 2-strand.
    If you're using the Peaches & Cream Yarn, you can use 3/4, either or. It's actually small enough to fit through a 1/16" coil/micro-coil without any issues. Any tighter and it'd probably burn up, but the stuff I have requires very little effort to pull a fresh cut piece.
    Fullknight likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'm actually using Sugar & Cream only b/c I find it didn't mute the flavor quite as much as Peaches & Cream. Cosmetically, they look the same thickness and both contain 4 strands.

Quote Originally Posted by phorumph View Post
    By strand do you mean one of those little strings that form the big string?

Mine has 10 strands, you are saying I should put less than the whole thing? My drill bit is like 1.5-1.6 mm in diameter.

Here's the yarn and the drill bit for comparison.

yarn.jpg

Later edit: I want to make this yarn method work since I am a fan of consistency. The cotton balls might vary between wicks. Just changed the wick with a thicker cotton from cotton ball and now it works properly, flavor, vapor, all good. Previous one was too small apparently.
    My first thought, based on the picture above, is that the strands are way too thin to really absorb any moderate level of juice. The Peaches & Cream or Sugar & Cream yarn would work much better as they consist of 4 strands and they puff up really well. That said, cotton balls do tend to work better overall from my experience.
    phorumph likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical View Post
    If you're using the Peaches & Cream Yarn, you can use 3/4, either or. It's actually small enough to fit through a 1/16" coil/micro-coil without any issues. Any tighter and it'd probably burn up, but the stuff I have requires very little effort to pull a fresh cut piece.
    I would like to try this, I built a few micro coils using organic cotton as the wick and the Peaches & Cream as the flavor wick (2 short strands) and have some issues with no flavor, possibly too much cotton as someone suggested. Are you happy with the P&C yarn as the main wick and do you also use it as the flavor wick too ? I really love the micro coils, so much easier than wrapping around the ekowool but getting the cotton in just right is a bit of a challenge for me.
    Fullknight likes this.

Super Member Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acespeeed View Post
    I would like to try this, I built a few micro coils using organic cotton as the wick and the Peaches & Cream as the flavor wick (2 short strands) and have some issues with no flavor, possibly too much cotton as someone suggested. Are you happy with the P&C yarn as the main wick and do you also use it as the flavor wick too ? I really love the micro coils, so much easier than wrapping around the ekowool but getting the cotton in just right is a bit of a challenge for me.
    I've been wrapping 1/16 id micro coils and using a piece of peaches & creme cotton yarn with one strand removed. I can fit all 4 strands through the coil, but have found that using only 3 works much better for me (most of my juices are 50/50 or 100% vg). Haven't had to use "flavor" wicks in a while unless I'm strapped for time and have to throw a stock silica coil in one of my tanks - in which case ill pop the chimney off the coil head, remove the 2 silica "flavor" wicks, and replace with one strand of cotton.
    YMMV, but this has worked quite consistently for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TastyKakes View Post
    I've been wrapping 1/16 id micro coils and using a piece of peaches & creme cotton yarn with one strand removed. I can fit all 4 strands through the coil, but have found that using only 3 works much better for me (most of my juices are 50/50 or 100% vg). Haven't had to use "flavor" wicks in a while unless I'm strapped for time and have to throw a stock silica coil in one of my tanks - in which case ill pop the chimney off the coil head, remove the 2 silica "flavor" wicks, and replace with one strand of cotton.
    YMMV, but this has worked quite consistently for me.
    Thanks for the help, i just tried one but still having a heck of a time getting those strands through, i'll need a little more practice. i'm using 50/50 too I think I will try a few without the flavor wick. Any tips on getting the strands through the micro coil or is it just my fat fingers holding me back ?

Quote Originally Posted by Acespeeed View Post
    Thanks for the help, i just tried one but still having a heck of a time getting those strands through, i'll need a little more practice. i'm using 50/50 too I think I will try a few without the flavor wick. Any tips on getting the strands through the micro coil or is it just my fat fingers holding me back ?
    Take a piece of yarn about 1-2 inches long, wet your finger tips and twist one side as tight as you can possibly get it. This should make a tightly twisted end piece in the yarn which you can slide or twist through just enough to pull the rest of the yarn through the coil. As long as you get it through the other end, you can even use tweezers to pull the cotton through.

Once you have it through, clip that piece off and trim the other side down. You can water, e-juice/liquid, or just use your tongue - you'll be cutting that piece off anyway.

edit: With cotton and when using 50/50, 60/40, 70/30 etc, you shouldn't need the flavor wicks. I only use cotton through the coil and that's it. I've even went as low as 40/60 PG/VG and never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical View Post
    My first thought, based on the picture above, is that the strands are way too thin to really absorb any moderate level of juice. The Peaches & Cream or Sugar & Cream yarn would work much better as they consist of 4 strands and they puff up really well. That said, cotton balls do tend to work better overall from my experience.
    Is it the same as this one? Sugar 'n Cream Yarn - Big Ball Solids | Hulu

Quote Originally Posted by phorumph View Post
    That, or this one:

Yarns - Solids | Peaches And Creme

You'd want #1005 (White) which is the last one at the bottom of the page. Just depends on what you have at your local stores. Walmart carries the one above. I've not seen Sugar 'n Cream locally where I am, but both work as long as it's 100% Cotton.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast