need to rinse new tanks before first use? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: need to rinse new tanks before first use?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnata View Post
    I am looking for alternatives to everclear but the highest % I can find locally so far would be vodka with about 40-45%, not sure if it's a proper alternative. when does it become 'too weak' to do any sterilization? any possible alternatives to PGA?

I understand the concern with machined devices, makes perfect sense. so does the rest of the issues Topwater Elvis brings up, but if one can't get proper sterilization, all that's left is hoping that the sealed plastic bags + a good rinse can be somewhat safe.

thanks a lot for all the feedback

Alcohol doesn't sterilize it just cleans and kills some germs
    If I wish to sterilize I us UV light to do it
    Good luck
    Vapoor eyes er likes this.

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran Vapoor eyes er's Avatar

I am looking for alternatives to everclear but the highest % I can find locally so far would be vodka with about 40-45%, not sure if it's a proper alternative. when does it become 'too weak' to do any sterilization? any possible alternatives to PGA?

I understand the concern with machined devices, makes perfect sense. so does the rest of the issues Topwater Elvis brings up, but if one can't get proper sterilization, all that's left is hoping that the sealed plastic bags + a good rinse can be somewhat safe.

I CAREFULLY place mine in the sink strainer and run hot water in the sink for a minute. If there's any oil it should be washed away.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I use the cheapest vodka I can find all the time for cleaning and it works fine. To me vodka does have a taste though. I don't get how people call it flavorless. So I soak in vodka then dry burn. Next just a quick swish in water to remove the alcohol flavor and one more dry burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    sunnata likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Topwater Elvis View Post
    could be contaminated by rodent & insect contact
    LOL, when I read that the first thought I had was 'now I know why those first few pulls on a new clearo taste so good'! I know, sick puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Vapoor eyes er View Post
    When clearos were first released some were found to contain oil. Manufacturers responded that the oil was there to stop them from rusting while in storage or being shipped. When this occured a few Vendors started placing some PG on the coils. Regardless as to whether or not you believe their explanation I always wash my clearos before using them.
    Very interesting Vapoor eyes er! I've never heard that before. I used to use eGo-C attys and they had a nasty tasting primer in them so I always flushed them with PGA. Oil needs more than water to clean out too.

People do use Vodka to clean vaping hardware. I have no data on how well it handles disinfecting though. I'm pretty sure that most people do not clean their clearos before first use, so anything you do with Vodka will be better than that

Wow, I wish I had found this forum earlier. I've just been stumbling thru, figuring all this out by trial and error,which had gotten a bit expensive. Closest vape shop is an hour away.

Last week I learned the difference in PG/VG.. vape strength..throat hit and so on. AND that I have to change the innards every couple weeks. -->yes I said innards<--

I was recently hooked up with the kangertech evod.. finally had nice throat hit without the 'burn your face off' feeling. But i was told not to rinse the tank when changing flavors?? That leaves me tasting coffeesnozbanananutberries... ewwww

Can anyone give me a bit more advice? what is a dry burn? and should different flavors be smoked at different levels on my Ego Twist?
    sunnata likes this.

Ohh.. one more thing. I have my twist turned up to just before 4.0 but the throat hit is not near as good as in-store. i seem to be holding the button down too long now..Current juice is Banana Nut 50/50...

Happy Vape-A-Ween

I always give new clearomizers and/or wicks both a hot water and PGA flush to remove any contaminants that might be in there.

Doing a hot water flush every few fills also seems to help prevent wicks from gumming up.

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran Vapoor eyes er's Avatar

Very interesting Vapoor eyes er! I've never heard that before. I used to use eGo-C attys and they had a nasty tasting primer in them so I always flushed them with PGA. Oil needs more than water to clean out too.
    Yes I'm prolly inhaling oil vape...maybe the FDA should regulate it/ oil

Quote Originally Posted by carolinafog View Post
    I always give new clearomizers and/or wicks both a hot water and PGA flush to remove any contaminants that might be in there.

Doing a hot water flush every few fills also seems to help prevent wicks from gumming up.
    + 1 but I use vodka not PGA. No dry burn ever always taste burnt. The wick doesn't have to be dry just add a juice and a few quick puffs brings through the liquid.
    Last edited by Vapntime; 10-31-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    sunnata likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete4now View Post
    Wow, I wish I had found this forum earlier. I've just been stumbling thru, figuring all this out by trial and error,which had gotten a bit expensive. Closest vape shop is an hour away.

Last week I learned the difference in PG/VG.. vape strength..throat hit and so on. AND that I have to change the innards every couple weeks. -->yes I said innards<--

I was recently hooked up with the kangertech evod.. finally had nice throat hit without the 'burn your face off' feeling. But i was told not to rinse the tank when changing flavors?? That leaves me tasting coffeesnozbanananutberries... ewwww

Can anyone give me a bit more advice? what is a dry burn? and should different flavors be smoked at different levels on my Ego Twist?
    Hi obsolete4now and welcome to ECF! On the Evod, here's a video on how to clean and dry burn it. Yes, you certainly can rinse it out every time you change juices. Won't hurt it a bit. I expect that with flavors that are not that strong, you won't have to. Some like menthol or cinnamon can be really hard to get rid of and a dry burn will help with that. If you find a juice flavor you just can't get rid of you'll just have to dedicate a Evod to it.

Yes you will find that different juices will be best with different voltages. Experiment and you'll figure it out

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ryedan; 10-31-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Kant spel
    Vapoor eyes er and sunnata like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast