Newb questions!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Newb questions!

Default Newb questions!

Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching but couldn't find quick answers to these!

1 - I live in Canada... It gets pretty damn cold up here in the fall/winter! I noticed that my evod wouldn't work in the cold yesterday (I was out for a walk with my daughter). Anyone have solutions to fight the "it's too cold and my evod won't work" syndrome?

2 - How do you carry an evod? Lanyards seem to fit Egos... My work requires me to climb, crawl, work in awkard positions, etc... Is there a carrying device of some sort? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Super Member Verified Member Enoch777's Avatar

Sorry I have no idea for the first question. Perhaps you could get two birds with one stone... and attach your carrying case somewhere it would be inside your coat so it doesn't get as cold.

I found this nifty thread detailing a few PV holster mods/ideas, from knife holsters to custom made fittings from "The Bag Lady" Looks neat, give it a look!

Looking for a Kgo/Ego size belt holster

http://www.vegasbindery.com/custom-leather-ego-holster/
    Last edited by Enoch777; 10-31-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    OllieTheWhite likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I'm also on the lookout for a suitable carrying system for being outdoors and active. I can't have a lanyard around my neck with my device flopping around all over the place. What I've come up with so far is the belt case for a mini-mag lite for my Itaste V3/Kanger tank. My Zmax mini/Kanger tank, it's a bit fatter so I dug around in my old surveying gear and found a carrying case for a hand level that might just work. It's belt mounted too so that's a plus.
    Dear Karma: I've got a list of people you missed.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome to ECF. There are all sorts of solutions to carrying your PV. A leather knife holster mounted to your belt might be a good way to go.

Obsessive Vapers ECF Group:
    http://goo.gl/0PJSEJ
    Greensboro Vaping and Smoking Cessation Support (GVSCS): http://goo.gl/orJ2Kl

Ultra Member ECF Veteran MiamiMom63's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! Sorry, I can't help with problems with your e-cig in the cold weather because I live in South Florida. lol. But I would think that if it's real cold outside, it would make your eliquid get thicker and harder to wick properly. Just a thought I know if I have nic in the freezer or premade juices in the refrigerator, I need to let them get to room temperature before they work decent, otherwise they are just thick.
    Check out our Vape Meets for South Florida at www.southfloridavapers.com

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by OllieTheWhite View Post
    1 - I live in Canada... It gets pretty damn cold up here in the fall/winter! I noticed that my evod wouldn't work in the cold yesterday (I was out for a walk with my daughter). Anyone have solutions to fight the "it's too cold and my evod won't work" syndrome?
    I went through last winter in Ontario and I didn't have many problems. Cold makes juice thicken up a bit, but my 50/50 PG/VG juices didn't give me problems except for a few times when it was really cold. VG is much thicker than PG, so that's an issue too. I was using Vivi Novas and cartos most of the winter, not Evods which could make a bit of difference too. I did put my PV in an inside pocket when not vaping so it didn't get too cold.

If that doesn't help you, you could add a few drops of water per tank to thin the juice slightly. Just mix it well. I use higher VG lately and find I need to do that to help wicking in some devices even when it's warm.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran MiamiMom63's Avatar

Yea, maybe use higher PG juices in the winter like 80/20 or 70/30 PG/VG blends. And if you still have problems, a regular dripping atomizer should do the trick for those times you are outdoors.
    Check out our Vape Meets for South Florida at www.southfloridavapers.com

Thanks, everyone! I used my mini-maglite holster today and it worked like a charm! Many righteous ideas! Cheers!
    Ryedan likes this.

Thicker juices (higher VG percentage) may not wick as well in cold winter temperatures. The nice thing about about tube mods is that they can be kept warmer in a pants pocket. With cartos and carto tanks additional or larger holes in the carto can help wicking a thicker liquid in winter without changing PG/VG ratios.
    Last edited by yzer; 10-31-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5. 22mm XL IBTanked. Smok single coil unpunched, no-flange 2.0Ω XL cartos. Unflavored DIY 95/5 VG/H2O 12mg nicotine with Xtreme Vaping nicotine base. Vaping since 11/19/2011. 35-year cigarette habit ended 4/22/2012.

Grand Vizier of Vape Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by OllieTheWhite View Post
    Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching but couldn't find quick answers to these!

2 - How do you carry an evod? Lanyards seem to fit Egos... My work requires me to climb, crawl, work in awkard positions, etc... Is there a carrying device of some sort? Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Hi Ollie; Welcome to the forum. Can you be more specific about #1? FWIW I've noticed that I don't taste vapour from my E-Cig nearly as well if i'm out in the cold. In fact I hardly ever do it at this point -- late October! -- I've started sneaking vapes in the office hallway. Do you mean that your EVOD is actually malfunctioning in cold temperatures?

Can't really help you with #2, I just put my E-Cig in my pocket. I have seen a holster E-Cig holder, sort of like one of those cell phone belt holsters, but I didn't really look at it closely.

Regards
    Glenn

Devices: Gus Telescopic, Provari Mini, KFL+, Siam Cobra, AC9, some other stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast