Flavor %?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flavor %?

Default Flavor %?

My Post #2
    As i understand the rules i must post 5 times here before i can move on, so i apologize if i am asking things that belong in another area.

I started mixing my own e juice several months back because i did not feel i was getting enough flavor from pre-mixed (tried several).
    I gradually increased flavoring until i was at 30% Maybe i need so much because my taste buds are numb from so many years of analogs.

From what i have read, this seems like a very high % so i would be very interested in feedback form others. Is there a downside to using a % this high?

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran DrBeaker's Avatar

Sometimes too high a percentage has the opposite effect. Personally if I have to use more than 20% of a flavor I go looking for a supplier that doesn't dilute it so much. Are you allowing some steep time? I find rarely can I mix shake and vape. Let it steep for a week or two before you try it and decide its too weak. I know how hard it is to wait.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Who are you getting your flavors from? I use perfumers apprentice and flavor art. They are very concentrated. Perfumers apprentice i use 8-10% and on flavor art 1-5%. I avoid the ones that have a recommended 20% or more because from my experience most are not a good quality to begin with.

I've tried Capella and lorran and both need a high % and taste like chemicals at any% to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran DrBeaker's Avatar

I only use TFA...

Juice Maker Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

TFA and here are good starting places for their juices. Adjust up or down to suit:

TPA/TFA Recipes only!

I follow this guide and find it to be pretty good. Too much flavor is what causes the chemical/perfumery taste most of the time, that and not steeping long enough. That thread is a good one, btw. I make only one juice above 30% and it's a Cappella's Vanilla Custard mix, which I rarely use, but Stevo's Vanilla Custard required that, and it's very close to Grant's Vanilla Custard, I'm told. Anyway, it's pretty good. Everything else I make is under 30%, and a lot of single ingredient mixes are under 10%. See the chart and good luck to you!
    Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest, and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine Rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else, desire variable power.

Downside is you blow a lot of money on flavours. After the nicotine, they are the most expensive component. If you need a whopping 20% of flavouring, the supplier is either selling you diluted crap or you're overdosing to the point where the concentration kills the flavour. Is a bit like spicy food : Spiced right, it enhances and brings out the flavour. Too much spice and it just tastes hot without allowing any of the other flavours to get 'through'. Like the others posted : start 'bottoms up' and allow it to 'age' ... i.e. become a homogneous mixture. Only very few flavours taste like they're supposed to right after you mixed them. If you are short on patience, magnetic stir or vibrator will speed up the process...

Full Member*

I, too am having problems with a lack of flavor-and I was using a sonic cleaner to help with steeping time. I have TFA and Capella....I noticed that some new flavors I recently purchased are not as concentrated as they were when I purchased (same brands) from a different supplier. Even the vanilla barely peeks through.....?

PV Master ECF Veteran

After quite a few bottles of nastiness I decided to start at 10% and work up. All flavorings are not created equal. It takes time and testing. You may find one flavor works well at 5% and another takes 20%. I have one flavor that 1 drop in 10ml is too much. It depends on the supplier and the individual flavor. Check out the diy forum. A lot of times it will take an extra flavor to make a mix taste better. There is no hard and fast rule.

I generally mix mine juice at 10-25% flavor depending on how intense you want it . Some flavors are so potent that 2-5% is enough. Its alot of trial and error when you get into combining flavor as well. *I started DIY mixing about a year ago, still learning.

I just ordered the sweetener from mt baker... i heard that it does gunk up and thickens out your juices drastically... anyone have any experience with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast