Vapers cough and what I'm doing wrong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Vapers cough and what I'm doing wrong

Default Vapers cough and what I'm doing wrong

Hi guys,

Just got my Vamo V5 running and using the atomizer that came with the Protank Mini @ 2.2omh (https://www.fasttech.com/products/1423304 , it says 2.5omh but its reading at 2.2omh on my Vamo). Vaping on 50PG/50VG 12mg MBV juice and its giving me the cough whenever I vape. I use 3 Volts, 3watts thinking that it will lessen the harshness but its still the same. From what I've heard, 3 volts may be abit too less than it should.

Should I change atomizers? I have these for spares atm (https://www.fasttech.com/products/1405301) Or have I burnt something as it does give me a slight spicy flavour when vaping on Hawk/Grape Sauce (Any sauces for the matter really).

I try to hold it in my mouth for as long as I can then inhale it but I still cough a little from it. Do you guys think it might be the nic or PG content being too high? I use to smoke menthols and occasionally smoke Dunhill reds which were no issues so am not sure how much nic level would affect the harhness of it.

Any help would do as I've read through a couple of threads but still can't figure it out.
    meanckz likes this.

Blog Entries

How long have you been vaping? Is this your first e-cig device?

It's not uncommon for brand new vapors to cough when they first begin vaping. It took your body time to adjust to smoking. (Can you remember how you coughed with your first cigarettes? Maybe not, that likely was a long time ago.)

It will take some time to adjust to vapor as well. The mouth inhale is the correct technique. Whether you inhale into your lungs, or exhale from your mouth and nose is up to you.

It's not necessary to inhale the vapor to absorb the nicotine vapor. Most is absorbed in the mouth and nose. As you learn to adjust to vapor, you can gauge how much you can inhale without coughing. Before long, you will be able to direct lung inhales if that is your preference.

Yeah actually just got off for a day. I realize when I inhale after holding it in my mouth, it feels really harsh. Maybe not used to it yet but hopefully won't take long because it really annoying lol. Its like I inhale, cough, try again after drinking some water, cough harder lol.

Baditude would you recommend me getting a lower nic level/pg to slowly get into it or will I still get the cough?
    meanckz likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You may be sensitive to PG or VG. Many are sensitive to PG....but I am one of the rare few that can't handle too much VG. I found a juice that I like that uses 60%PG and 40% VG....but I can't use it for too long at a time because it starts hurting my throat. My other juices come from a vendor (MtBakerVapor) that allows you to customize the ratios. I always order 80%PG 20%VG with no problem. But the VG kills my throat. It's why I couldn't really use BluCigs too well because they use 100% VG juice. Weird.
    meanckz and FlamingoTutu like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

See here => Inhalation technique with an e-cigarette

For most people new to vaping the problem is more about unlearning everything you used to do when smoking a cigarette and getting comfortable with a different inhalation style for vaping. The article is a little "stern" but you will get the point.

Full Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I find that juice high in VG gives more vap cloud and allows flavor to come through more, but is also harsher and can cause coughing. The PG seems to mellow out the VG. Finding the right mix for you takes trial and error. I am starting to lean toward a 50/50 mix. Not sure yet if nic level affects me in that way.
    FlamingoTutu likes this.

​For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. If you don't, none will suffice.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

...and I seem to be sensitive to PG....I just ordered max VG juice samples from MtBakerVapor...I've been using 70VG/30PG from VaporChef and it's much better than the 40VG/60PG from my local B&M (btw all 12mg nic), with higher PG content I get a really dry scratchy feeling in the back of my throat, that I don't like.
    FlamingoTutu likes this.

Keep up the good vape!
    since 6/26/2013

Thanks Rikajho, I've read through that and understand fully. What frustrates me is that even with less dragging, the vapor still makes me choke. I may need to change the nic content and the pg/vg to see what really suits me, problem over here in NZ is that there's really no physical store for testing which sucks.
    FlamingoTutu likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I still get that irritated/dry throat cough over 7 months later. What helps me the most, aside from plenty of water (soda, beer, etc. do NOT count), is a good swig of milk to coat and sooth the throat.

As far as juice goes, if you know a flavor you really like, get a bottle 24mg and a bottle of 0mg and mix the 24 down with the 0 until you find your mg sweet pot. Good luck.

Super Member ECF Veteran StarDose's Avatar

If it burns in your throat after for more than a few seconds it could be the coil. Bad coils can have wicking issues or a hot spot which is pretty harsh and hard on the throat. Otherwise could be the PG or vg since 12mg isn't really high. My friend just recently got over the coughing part of vaping after a couple weeks.
    Currently vaping on my nemesis/kfl setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast