Is vaping really cheaper than smoking - Page 17
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

One of my reasons to stop smoking and start vaping was definitely to save money. Based on the price of Marlboro Reds here in Ireland €9.50 (about $13.00 a pack).
    If i replace my battery once every 3-4 months at a cost of €22.00 and use 2 clearomizers per month €13.95 (for 2) and use 80ml of juice per month, it works out like this.

Smoking Cigarettes €294.50 a month.
    Vaping (as above) €38.45 a month.

So to answer your question, yes, definitely a HUGE saving! :-)

I spent about 30-40 for my first set up. The juice has lasted me over a week. So yes, assuming I'm not replacing parts every other day, it definitely beats the 7.50 a day I was spending on cigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jahjah1121 View Post
    I spent about 30-40 for my first set up. The juice has lasted me over a week. So yes, assuming I'm not replacing parts every other day, it definitely beats the 7.50 a day I was spending on cigs. [/URL]
    Way to go!

A prorated MVP2 and Protank 2, assuming they last a year, costs about $5/mo. Five replacement coils (assuming you clean but don't rebuild your own) cost about $5/mo. E-liquid costs whatever you choose, from as cheap as $10/mo from FastTech or DIY to whatever. So, on a "desperation" budget as low as $20/mo average.

My wife and I together actually average about $75/mo versus about $450 (75 packs of cigarettes) on necessary costs.

Do I spend more? Of course, but even a VTR prorated over a year only adds $6/mo to the average. Last year, I probably spent an additional $25 average per month on optional items and spares.

So, for the two of us, about $4K/yr savings over smoking.

Can you spend more? Obviously. I do hunt on sale items, buy in advance of need and try to optimize shipping costs, as I do also buy for a sister and niece. (All four of us have just completed 13 months without tobacco.)
    Last edited by NickSteel; 01-07-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Melvin Boba TK Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

It's cheaper if you are in it to stop smoking and don't need a new hobby.
    flowerpots and K_Tech like this.
    - Saving money by NOT paying taxes -

Quote Originally Posted by daithi86 View Post
    One of my reasons to stop smoking and start vaping was definitely to save money. Based on the price of Marlboro Reds here in Ireland 9.50 (about $13.00 a pack).
    If i replace my battery once every 3-4 months at a cost of 22.00 and use 2 clearomizers per month 13.95 (for 2) and use 80ml of juice per month, it works out like this.

Smoking Cigarettes 294.50 a month.
    Vaping (as above) 38.45 a month.

So to answer your question, yes, definitely a HUGE saving! :-)
    For me vaping was a way out of taking snuff - which was costing me just as much as smoking.
    NickSteel likes this.

Let me give everyone a little run-down on the cost of vaping compared to smoking...

I live in Alaska and premium cigs run from $9 - 10/pack. On average, I would stop in and get the $1 break for buying 2 packs. However, I sat down one day and went through my bank statements for 3 months and added up what I had spent on cigs over that roughly 90 days. To make it simple, I was spending around $13.75/day to smoke cigarettes. I am 43-years old and have been a smoker since I was 18 and I don't even want to do the math on how much I have spent over that 25 years. I have always known the health risks and the nastiness that is associated with being a smoker, but it's an addiction that is tough to break.

This is what I did...I set a budget on what I spend in a month, on cigs, which is around $400. I went to my local vapor shop and wanted to be educated and to see the new products, taste some juices, etc. I left there spending close to $300 on new set-up with a mod kit, two other batteries, 4 liquids, a few coils, different tips, atomizer tanks, a few other tanks for other flavors, chargers, etc. Basically EVERYTHING I would need to not only get started, but to last me well over a month and to easily enjoy different flavors at any given moment. I went with the 18 rated nicotine levels since I smoked just over a pack/day.

That's just the monetary benefits I have seen. In the two weeks I have been vaping, I have noticed my gums are returning to a healthy looking pink, I don't have that NASTY smell EVERYWHERE...in my house, on my clothes, in my vehicle, on my fingers, in my hair, on my breath...you name it. THAT in itself was well worth the cost of becoming an e-cig user!

Even if the verdict is still out on whether it's a "safer" alternative...who CARES!! I am saving probably over $300/month, I don't stink, I don't look like a "loser" out on my smoke breaks, I don't have to excuse myself to go smoke, and the list goes on and on.

The habit of e-cigs can become a hobby, for most. It can get expensive to throw down $300 on a mod kit, but that's the BULK of your expense. After that, most juices run from $8 - $12 and that should last anyone about a week. That's WAY less than what I was spending on cigs per day!! However, I am not an expert on this whole thing, yet. I have made the mistakes and wasted some juice by not filling correctly or tightening my coil and throwing it away, but those mistakes netted me a loss of about $10.

I hope we can all see the advantages. Also, just to boot...I had a pack of smokes left over and after a couple days of vaping, I lit a cigarette just to see. Well, it was EASY to just put it out. The flavor alone was NOTHING compared to my juice flavors. I just wish this had come out YEARS ago. I don't feel lethargic, my eyes aren't always burning, I smell great and I am saving money! What MORE can you ask for?
    DancingHeretik and flowerpots like this.

It is in NY, by a large margin. Don't worry though, they are working on that...

I have saved money but then i only buy what i really need

Full Member*

Get 1 vv mod(20-30$ minimum) and 1 dripper(igo-w is 6$ on fasttech) a bag of cotton balls(3-5$) a roll of 28g kanthal (6-10$) and a 30ml of some good juice u could vape all day(14-30$) and your looking at a 49-95$ innitial investment which should last at least a year other than juice which a 30ml lasts me 1-2 weeks for 15-25 bucks i spend on premium juices at 15-25 a week im still saving 10-20$ a week and i dont need any gear other than a vv battery when i get enough money together but it isnt exactly neccesary, my 3.7 standard does fine

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Tapatalk

I have been right around what I was spending on cigarettes. I was smoking just under a pack of newports a day. So with giving out squares, lets say 6 packs a week. In chicago they are $12 a pack. Going at 4 weeks a month, that was $288 a month!!!

I have certainty exceeded that in vape supplies certain months, and probably saved certain months. But that is only because I have too much gear. But the way I look at it, a $200 mech will last you years and years and years. Thats the only way I can justify spending so much.

Aside from mechs, and rda's. Juice gets expensive. Especially premium juice when you have builds that eat juice like nothing.

But have enough juice and supplies to last me the rest of 2014 easy if I didn't make another purchase.

There is one huge difference here. When I would buy a pack of cigarettes, I would feel guilt, regret, anger, tell myself I have to quit, etc. When I buy a $200 mech, or $100 rda, I cherish, polish it, and have no regrets. Sometimes when I get a bottle of juice I don't really like I might get mad.

On the other hand, If you are just vaping from an evod on a ego battery, you will be vaping at probably pennies a day. So it would be cheaper. Just depends what kind of vapor you are.