Is vaping really cheaper than smoking - Page 2
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

I love accessories and customizing pretty much everything so I've got to be sure to put e-juice at the top of my priority list and extra gadgets down lower so I don't blow my budget on fun gadgets
    Cindy301 likes this.

cost of tobacco is fairly constant if use is consistent. same for vaping and i find it much much less expensive. don't trade one addiction for another [read tobacco for gizmos]. i'm an intermediate user and use intermediate gear - worked my way up to two itaste MVPs, one for $54, one for $48. 2 protanks to replace the iclear 30's. am now finding the juices i enjoy and bought my first RBA, $14 and can now experience VAPOR as i expect it. rebuilt my first protank head tonight so will be saving $ there. i'll never buy up to the $150+ stuff, just don't have the need - after 45 years of smoking, can't taste much anyway ; ]
    claudebo and madqatter like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I'll add my voice to the chorus singing "It's as expensive as you want it to be". I'm definitely a confirmed vaping hobbyist, so I'm really not looking to save money, at least not at this stage of the game - but on the other hand, I've yet to toss a tank on the driveway and grind it out under my heel when I'm done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by larsforresto View Post
    cost of tobacco is fairly constant if use is consistent. same for vaping and i find it much much less expensive. don't trade one addiction for another [read tobacco for gizmos]. i'm an intermediate user and use intermediate gear - worked my way up to two itaste MVPs, one for $54, one for $48. 2 protanks to replace the iclear 30's. am now finding the juices i enjoy and bought my first RBA, $14 and can now experience VAPOR as i expect it. rebuilt my first protank head tonight so will be saving $ there. i'll never buy up to the $150+ stuff, just don't have the need - after 45 years of smoking, can't taste much anyway ; ]
    Hopefully that will change. After two months of vaping, other than the occasional bouts of "vaper's tongue", I find that my taste buds are STILL incrementally improving over time.
    Fulgurant likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran happydave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thegimic89 View Post
    I stopped smoking for obvious health risks and began vaping hoping it would be a safe cheaper alternative to smoking and quickly realized its not at least in my case, is the same true for you guys and gals?
    as you can see in my signature i have not smoked 4880 analogs or 244 packs since i the day i got my e-cig. in my area analogs (Camel's) are about $7.50 per pack some areas in the city might charge up to $9.00 per pack of Camels. but lets just say 244 packs at $7.50 each comes out at $1830. i have looked at all my orders from sites i use the most. there might be a thing or two i forgot about but i have spent about $900 on e-cigs stuff. in about a year and half. and i did buy lots of my friends stuff as well because they don't have a credit card or it was a gift. i DIY my juice and rebuild my own coils. 15 ml of juice cost me about $4 including the child proof dropper bottle. and coils cost under 0.50 to make.. so yes i do save a bit of money.. even though i gave stuff away. making your own juice is awesome! always the right flavor and strength. and when you build your own coils your devices hit like a dream. but more importantly its hard to put a price on your health. we know smoking analogs is really bad for you, e-cigs are probably a lot better but we cant say they are 100% risk free, because we just don't have long term data yet.
    Last edited by happydave; 11-01-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    skoony likes this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I thought that it was much more costly at first, but that was just getting set up. Now I simply buy juice and find it IS much cheaper. Give it time - once you just vape and not build your stash you will be seeing that it is truly cheaper, especially cheaper than cancer.
    jdrewry, Coldrake, Hoozdo and 3 others like this.

Supplying vape gear, juice, toys, and diy equipment was cheaper than one month of my girlfriend's cigs. Three months in for both of us.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

By the way the vaping hobby is less expensive if you don't make newbie mistakes like I just did now and burn up a cartomizer because you primed it but didn't let it sit in your tank for long enough After tooting on that burnt polyfill and liquid and getting a BAD head rush I'll make sure not to screw up like that again
    Heartisan likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I pay for two vapers ( my wife and I) and we're saving $250ish bucks a month. Seems cheaper to me.

I've gone out of my way to make it NOT a hobby (Don't think those pretty shinies don't call to me, though. They totally do.) and to get our backups and our backups backups, and then work on juice and maintenance items. /shrugs Just depends on where you want to take it, I guess.

Tl;dr -- What everyone else said.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by yzer View Post
    If you want vaping to be be cheaper than smoking it can be a lot cheaper.

-Buy only the devices you need, not what you want. A PV collection is expensive and a poor investment.
    -DIY your juice.

I smoked a pack and a half a day. That works out to $47.25 a week or $2,457 per year (CA prices in 2012). Since November of 2011 I've spent a total of less than $1,100 on vaping and I have enough DIY supplies to keep me into juice well into next spring. That includes a couple of mods, batteries, DIY supplies, basic lab gear and some vaping accessories.
    That's just it.. you can make it cheaper if you are matching only nicotine consumption vapor vs smoke.

The reality is that vaping becomes a hobby for many, as opposed to just a way to get your nicotine fix. And like most things once it becomes a hobby, the cost to tinker becomes much more substantial than the cost of just satisfying your craving for nicotine. There are so many things to tweak, so many things to try. lt's like golf equipment, photography equipment, iphones or whatever the hobby may be; there is always something newer and better coming out and always a reason buy something which you perceive may enhance your vaping experience. With that being said whatever gets you off cigarettes may save your life, how much is that worth?

Start with what you NEED, and spend the money you CAN on what you WANT.

People need hobbies. So for many it is a game of becoming a Vapor Aficionado (which i believe is a good thing). Because in the hobby lies the key factor which moves people away from cigarettes. The fact that if you enjoy vaping at its core, your mind easily forgets about smoking. And by vaping i mean not only the act of inhaling vapor, i mean the process (the gear, the forums, the trial and error, etc.).

There is a quote which says "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." and i believe that this holds true for the journey that is vaping.
    Last edited by CABBA; 11-03-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Super Member Verified Member Imperialbeachboy's Avatar

mount baker vapor has good juice and its cheap as well
    Fulgurant, VaperGlock and curtis11 like this.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast