Is vaping really cheaper than smoking
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

Default Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

I stopped smoking for obvious health risks and began vaping hoping it would be a safe cheaper alternative to smoking and quickly realized its not at least in my case, is the same true for you guys and gals?
    DillPickles666 likes this.

If you want vaping to be be cheaper than smoking it can be a lot cheaper.

-Buy only the devices you need, not what you want. A PV collection is expensive and a poor investment.
    -DIY your juice.

I smoked a pack and a half a day. That works out to $47.25 a week or $2,457 per year (CA prices in 2012). Since November of 2011 I've spent a total of less than $1,100 on vaping and I have enough DIY supplies to keep me into juice well into next spring. That includes a couple of mods, batteries, DIY supplies, basic lab gear and some vaping accessories.
    Last edited by yzer; 11-01-2013 at 05:14 AM.
    Ryedan, Razorback, rhean and 19 others like this.
    Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5. 22mm XL IBTanked. Smok single coil unpunched, no-flange 2.0Ω XL cartos. Unflavored DIY 95/5 VG/H2O 12mg nicotine with Xtreme Vaping nicotine base. Vaping since 11/19/2011. 35-year cigarette habit ended 4/22/2012.

Depends on your setup. Ecigs like Blu that use cartridges get too expensive too fast for the amount they produce. If you're going with a hi-tech solution that's more advanced and flexible than a dinky little faux cig the initial investment can seem pricey but after that the upkeep is a fair price.
    After I dropped ~50$ on a battery and tank the only thing I have to buy is juice and the occasional cartomizer replacement for it. As long as I prime my fresh cartos and keep the heater coils moist I can clean and reuse them by boiling in water then letting them dry thoroughly.
    The juice I buy is about $6 for 10 ml and is 0.6% nicotine but if you find yourself going through a lot of juice you may want to try a higher nicotine level to satiate your craving. Whether it's low 0.6% or extra high 2.4% nicotine content the bottles I buy all cost the same. My 10 ml bottles of juice equal roughly 40 cigarettes worth of nicotine each when I take into account that most of the nicotine in analogs is destroyed during combustion. Normally I'd smoke 5 cigs a day and there's 20 per pack so I'd be spending about $12 a week on analogs while now I'm spending half that on liquid.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

No, unless you buy the a great setup right away and don't overbuy on juices - that's where the expensive part comes in.
    Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is - Albert Camus

As yzer says.. buy what you need.. NOT what you want.. and your cost of vaping will reflect that. I don't DIY my own juices.. but in the last month I have only spent $25. on juices.. and not really anything on accessories. OH.. wait, I take that back, I did buy myself a Kanger protank II for myself on my birthday.. does that count? It was my birthday.. ROFL!! Even so, with that purchase, my month of October was only $50. spent on vaping supplies, and when smoking a PAD I was spending that in less than a week.

I see it as any hobby.. you can always buy bigger, better, shinier.. but do you NEED to?! If you are worried about the cost of your new hobby the answer is simple.. NO.

Oh.. and that $500.+ saved since I quit smoking.. just went towards some new tires on my vehicle, a much better investment than ciggies.
    Happy vaping..
    Last edited by Ameera; 11-01-2013 at 05:21 AM.
    yzer, Ryedan, Taznino and 6 others like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran Fulgurant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yzer View Post
    If you want vaping to be be cheaper than smoking it can be a lot cheaper.

-Buy only the devices you need, not what you want. A PV collection is expensive and a poor investment.
    -DIY your juice.
    Yeah, vaping's as expensive as you want it to be. You don't even have to DIY juice to save lots of cash over the long term, but that initial period during which you're seeking for good standby juice flavors can certainly feel very pricey.
    Vapoor eyes er, jdrewry and yzer like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

yes vaping is cheaper than smoking ... it is not like you were collecting cartons of smokes as a hobby.

if you vape to stay off smokes and not buy vape gear as a hobby ... vaping is considerably cheaper.
    Enzzo, madqatter, Nuclear and 1 others like this.
    Smoke Free since Sept. 22nd 2013 ... Keep Calm & Vape On

Yeah thanks guys its definitely the way I got into its been like 5 months sand I'm really into rba rda and mech mods thanks errybody very informative
    Ryedan likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran pufZeppelin's Avatar

yepper,

if you just get basic vaping needs and don't turn it into a hobby

it can be plenty cheap...

MVP $59.99
    EVOD $4.49
    236ml $39.99
    + $104.47

and that would last a good long time...

those are all priced from mt baker vapor

Vape≈On
    jdrewry, madqatter and Cindy301 like this.

Ω ... you have to "Learn" how to Vape, it's not smoking...

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgurant View Post
    Yeah, vaping's as expensive as you want it to be. You don't even have to DIY juice to save lots of cash over the long term, but that initial period during which you're seeking for good standby juice flavors can certainly feel very pricey.
    ^^^^ this. It's the initial search for the right juice and hardware that can be expensive. Once you've found what you like and what works for you and settle into maintenance mode, things will start getting better.

The cost once you've gotten to your maintenance phase is going to depend mainly on how much juice you're vaping, and whether you're buying off-the-shelf atomizers or using rebuildables.

The hobby aspect certainly comes into play as well. You can be pretty sure that the hobbyists among us spend a TON more than those of us that are vaping for the sole purposes of keeping away from cigs and saving money. I started vaping to quit and save money, but it's become a hobby (a rather expensive one I might add). Coming up on six months analog free and I'm in a few grand :X

sent from a monstrous screen with an itty bitty keyboard

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast